Sign in to follow this  
Sundrop

Irish Wolfhounds W/ Greyhounds - Anyone?

Wondering if anyone here has greyhounds and Irish wolfhounds (or Scottish deerhounds) that can tell me how the hounds all get along together. Did you get the wolfhound as a puppy and if so, how were the greyhounds with it? As the wolfhound got older (and bigger!) how were the dynamics?

Photos welcome. :)

If you are on Facebook, look for Kathy Lazenby. She has multiple breeds, including greyhounds and a deerhound pup.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I can't help first-hand, but had a friend who had 10-12 Irish Wolfhounds and a couple of Whippets. IIRC, the Whippets were too small to be allowed in the mix while the Wolfhounds were running/playing outside, but were otherwise fine together. Some Greyhound adoption groups have accepted large Greyhound/Wolfhound mixes into their shared kennel groups. I would think they'd be fine together, especially if ALL dogs are muzzled during outside running in safely fenced enclosures. :)

Guest goofydog2

No experience here, however GTer kudzu had a Scottish deerhound (maybe a lurcher) with her greys and all existed peacefully. And yes, contact Laze for a treasure trove of info! I'm not positive if she can still be contacted through GEM(Greyhounds of Eastern Michigan) or not so definitely try her on FB.

Please let us know when your new addition arrives :flip:ph34r:clap

If you hadn't already noticed, we are a bunch of enablers.......

I don't have Wolfhounds but my greyhound has played with two friends' Wolfhounds (and Kathy Lazenby's Deerhound!) and done just fine. They're all sighthounds, they have the same vibe.

You can see the greyhounds thinking "Holy s--t, that's big!"

I have a female greyhound, and my friend's intact male show IWs can be kind of annoyingly interested.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I know someone who had a greyhound and Irish Wolfhound, then brought in a Wolfhound puppy last year. They all get along great. The greyhound looks like a whippet when he stands between them.

No experience with your question, but butting in because we had Great Danes for many years before we got into Greyhounds.

Great Danes are essentially very large sighthounds, even though they are in a different AKC class (working vs sporting/hounds). They are very similar personality-wise, and I would think most large sighthounds would get along very well together given the proper management. When we had two of our greyhound boys in day care for a few weeks, their favorite playtime mate was a harlequin Great Dane. They played with similar styles and energy levels and had a ball.

One thing I will add, when you are considering a giant breed dog you really do have to understand how big they are. We had three Great Danes at once, and that's like living with three other people. And having those three people poop in the yard 3-4 times a day. And eating 3-4 people's worth of food (we went through 40 lbs a week). Taking up 3-4 people's worth of space on the floor and in your bed.

Transporation is an issue - how can you move an animal (who may be in pain or otherwise immobilized) who weighs 180-200 lbs by yourself, or even with several helpers. Your car has to be able to hold everyone in relative comfort, at least for short trips.

Training is exceptionally important. Not only because they could easily injure someone, but because you simply have to have them do things on their own because they *want* to. You can't just pick them up if they don't want to go inside or up the stairs. You can't just say "whoa!" when they take off running after a squirrel - and they have to want to come back to you when they do get away.

With all that being said, we LOVED having Danes. And would love to have them again. Wolfhounds and Deerhounds are also on our breed "wish" list. They are special personalities who are easy going, and easy to live with. If you have a chance to have one - especially a puppy! - :wub: I'd say go for it! Just make sure you think about everything first!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Guest skellybelly

My parents' elderly wolfhound passed away earlier this year, but he and my greyhound got along great for the year and a half they knew each other. Spent most of their time sleeping next to each other on the couch - the photo below is pretty typical :)

https://goo.gl/photos/opgGZYiZ33JLJ9ru8

I have 2 friends with wolfhounds. One lives with a bunch of galgos and the other with a bunch of greys plus the occasional foster. They get along just fine.

The only thing (in my opinion) is that the wolfhounds age so very fast. When they reach 6 you have a senior at home. And I fear the heart disease. I know to many of them who just dropped dead without signs of illness in a very young age.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Andy (Riot Officer), Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice) and bridge angel Colin (Dessies Hero).

Guest Feyconri

Hi - they get along great. There are many owners with both on Facebook. Kayla Mullisano, Stacy Wales Fisher, Nancy Allen Dunne, Peggy Birdsall Caddigan are several that come to mind. They foster and own greyhounds along with their IWs. If you have a pack leader female IW I would be cautious about having a female greyhound. Opposite sexes are best.

Edited by Feyconri

I have several friends that have Wolfhounds and Deerhounds with Greyhounds, including some of the names mentioned. They do fine. Just keep in mind (especially Wolfhounds, as they have much more bulk than Deerhounds) that a giant rambunctious puppy may or may not be well-recieved by some dogs. My pack loved having a giant puppy Wolfhound visit but my pack is extremely playful to begin with. They did not mind the almost 100lb dog playing tug with them and running around like a madman with them. :lol: A few friends keep a Wolfhound and Ibizan pack as well.

The only thing (in my opinion) is that the wolfhounds age so very fast. When they reach 6 you have a senior at home. And I fear the heart disease. I know to many of them who just dropped dead without signs of illness in a very young age.

That used to worry me until I realized that I had my adopted Greyhounds for about that long before they passed. I adopted Lucius at 4 and he passed at 11 and I adopted Timmy at 2 and he passed at 9. Plus, reputable breeders are producing healthier Wolfhounds through selective breeding and genetic testing so I know many that live 10 years or more.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Thanks, all!

We are prepared (as best we can) for the short life span - but as GreyHoundPoet mentioned, we haven't had any of our babies for longer than 5.5 years after adoption. :( We've dealt with a lot of various diseases and disorders over the years and lost one in his sleep, very unexpectedly, due to heart failure at 8.5 - so we can deal with that. We also have a large SUV and a good sized yard and we pay to have it cleaned, lol. We would just probably bump it up to twice per week!

We are still debating and we want to always keep two greyhounds, as we are committed to providing homes to ex-racers and we love the breed - our current two are 4 and 5, so I wouldn't want to wait too long and introduce a puppy with seniors. I will definitely post pics and status reports if we do it!

Love Wolfies! Got to share pics if you decide to go for it. You know the rules. :)

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hi again - I know this is an older thread, but wanted to bump it because Feyconri mentioned being careful with mixing females. Does anyone else feel this is a serious concern? We have a male greyhound and female greyhound, so we're going to have to choose one or the other. We've only ever had a boy & a girl together - but only because we've only ever had two at a time and always wanted one of each.

FYI - just got in touch with the people in charge of the St Patrick's parade in Charlotte and there will be Irish Wolfhounds - yay! Hoping I can make contact and meet a few - should I expect the same type of aloofness as a greyhound? Hah! All 6 of our greyhounds have been very sweet, gentle and kind - but only one (our current boy, Finn) has been super-duper friendly with people (except kids, he tries to run). Seems to be a somewhat common trait for all sighthounds...?

Edited by Sundrop

My girls love each other. Kili can be a bit touchy about certain things, but that doesn't have anything to do with Kenna being female... she'd be touchy about those things with a male as well.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I wouldn’t worry about gender, just compatible personalities. I volunteer for the Irish Cultural Center here and there are a few people with Irish Wolfhounds who bring them to events. The wolfies seem to be ok with strangers, but not in your face friendly like some greys (cough cough, Val, cough cough) :lol A little more reserved.

I don't have anything to add, but a wolfhound is high up on my list of dogs. Are you thinking of going the breeder or adoption route? I keep trolling for adoptable wolfhounds but haven't had much luck in finding any (not that I'm adopting now - just admiring :lol).

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!