Does Pepcid/prilosec Interfere With Raw Bone Digestion?

Hi, just starting to feed raw here. We've been having issues with Zeke (8.5 yo) eating since last April, vet thinks possibly IBD but we're not convinced as he doesn't really have any of the usual symptoms other than inappetance.

I've been cutting up beef and lamb (along with liver and heart) and adding it to Zeke's food and he seems to be eating a lot better for the past month.

I ordered some coarse-ground meat (beef and lamb) from a raw food provider and found the grind contains some sharp pieces of bone in it. I've been assured it is safe and that the acid in their stomach will break the bone down.

my question is, Larry takes a 20 mg Pepcid once a day, and Zeke is on 20 mg Prilosec once a day -- will taking these acid reducers cause them not to be able to process the bone in the raw now?? I am terrified of a piece causing issues.

thanks!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

You should be fine! I've used both medications with Sunshine over the years. She's been raw fed since her first night with us. But both medications never really did much to help her. The Tylan was the fix to all her odd digestive things.

Also if you are using those meds to help with acid reflux stuff, slippery elm tea can help. It's always worked better for us :)

------

Jessica

one is on a PPI and the other a H2 blocker????? they basically do the same thing, the pecid ac is safer(i just went over to it) and cheaper. just wondering, how come you are using the Prilosec?

can the in-appetite be as a result of pain??? when my male is NOT on a NASID he doesn't eat. he's in pain. as soon as i get him back on the metacam, he's again a chow hound. Zeke is just at the age where their bones begin to creak(arthritis?)

I've never really understood the use of antacids in dogs since their digestive system is meant to have higher acid levels than ours naturally, except that perhaps by feeding kibble we mess with their digestive systems enough that they end up needing meds like that. Heck, antacids aren't even good for people so I'm doubly confused at their use in dogs.

Anyway, because I feed raw I've been even more reticent to give them, but I doubt that pieces of bone in a course ground raw would be problematic even if you are using them. But my question is why are the dogs on them in the first place? Maybe there's an option for getting them off of them, especially now that you're feeding raw? If you want to give something to help with gut health, give a probiotic. Or I really like VetriScience's Probiotic BD for dogs who may need some gut healing beyond what a basic probiotic will do. All of my dogs have always gotten a daily probiotic (as do I :lol), but at times when their guts are stressed I will give the BD until things are improved.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have only used Pepcid for a dog short term, when they were on some meds that upset their stomach. I actually haven't given it recently as probiotics seem to be more effective. Perhaps OP's dogs are on other meds?

Edited by Remolacha

can the in-appetite be as a result of pain??? when my male is NOT on a NASID he doesn't eat. he's in pain. as soon as i get him back on the metacam, he's again a chow hound. Zeke is just at the age where their bones begin to creak(arthritis?)

That's a good point. If they have painful teeth they don't really want to eat or do anything much... same as we humans. Ulcer pain, and the bloating that comes as the stomach holds food back to give some respite to the Duodenum, will also make them feel miserable.

Inappetance is often because of feeling nauseous though, and that's often as a result of certain organs no longer operating optimally.

if only our dogs weren't so stoic and could tell us what was really going on!