Slow Eater Bowls For Greys

Any recommendations for a good slow eater bowl for greys? My new adoptee has recently started eating her food too quickly and threw up her entire dinner on Sunday night. I'm already splitting up her meals between morning and evening to avoid bloat, but she's a little too "enthusiastic" about dinnertime and wants to swallow her kibble whole. I've had similar experiences with small dogs and we've used "slow eater" bowls or the "portion pacer" ceramic balls, but the bowls for larger dogs still seem like she could easily fit her snout into the spaces and inhale her food quickly. I'm currently using an elevated feeder with a smaller steel bowl placed upside down in the larger bowl so she has to work around it, but it doesn't seem to slow her down too much.

Morrie is also an 'inhaler'. I found that adding enough water to almost cover his food slowed him down slot.

Meant a lot!

Pearl is determined... We started adding water to her kibble when she first came home because she was a bit picky and seemed to really love it, but softening the food just made it easier for her to swallow whole! She'll take a bit more time to chew if it's dry, even though that's not how she prefers.... Coincidentally, we have a cat who does the same thing so now we have two fast eaters to watch! :lol

A large enough smooth rock or two worked great in our usual stainless steel bowl for one of my speed eaters

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

A large enough smooth rock or two worked great in our usual stainless steel bowl for one of my speed eaters

That was my idea, too.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

This one works fine for poppy, i also add a bit of wet food & warm water to dampen the dry food. goes down better without hacking & she still takes her time chasing the food around and around the periphery to get every last hint of food.

slow%20feeder.jpg

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NormansMum

I bought one of these from ebay its called Slo Bowl interactive feeder size large as Norman bolts his food so fast and has pretty bad windy pops (both ends!) So he's had this bowl for 2 or 3 weeks now and I spilt his meals into morning and evening. He now takes 20 minutes(!!!) :yay to eat his food and has much less wind. He coughs/chokes a lot less now too! My mum also uses one of these bowls for her lab. I think they're a great idea.

By the way you can also get small ones for small dogs and cats...I used to have a sphynx cat that was terrible for scoffing food like he'd never been fed!! I wish I'd of thought to get him one when we still had him!

Edited by NormansMum

I bought one of these from ebay its called Slo Bowl interactive feeder size large as Norman bolts his food so fast and has pretty bad windy pops (both ends!) So he's had this bowl for 2 or 3 weeks now and I spilt his meals into morning and evening. He now takes 20 minutes(!!!) :yay to eat his food and has much less wind. He coughs/chokes a lot less now too! My mum also uses one of these bowls for her lab. I think they're a great idea.

By the way you can also get small ones for small dogs and cats...I used to have a sphynx cat that was terrible for scoffing food like he'd never been fed!! I wish I'd of thought to get him one when we still had him!

I might have to invest in one for my cats now that you mention it! I bought a similar one that's Kong brand and Pearl really has to work around the small crevices to get to all the kibble pieces. It's definitely been helping with the excess gas too!

• 4 weeks later...

This one works fine for poppy, i also add a bit of wet food & warm water to dampen the dry food. goes down better without hacking & she still takes her time chasing the food around and around the periphery to get every last hint of food.

slow%20feeder.jpg

Do you have a bundt pan? Or do you know someone who does? If so, borrow it. Same shape, same result.

I'd suggest trying a low-tech, home-made solution first. The gulping might very well go away as the dog gets more comfortable in the home in a week or two.

Guest goofydog2

Morrie is still a gulper coming on 3 years with me. I add just enough water to float his food and it does wonders. Also makes it easy to add any meds he may need. They're scarfed down without notice.

Edited by goofydog2

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

If any of you are going to Dewey this weekend, I'll have three different slow feeder bowl designs for sale. Come and browse, see if you like any.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

• 2 weeks later...

IKEA just re-introduced their pet line and they have a slow feeder bowl. For $5 Id be inclined to try that one first.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I searched high & low for a standard size stainless steel bowl that would fit in our raised feeder & had that slow-eater center and never found one. Seems like an untapped market. We've had 6 greyhounds and all of them, except our current girl (Kira), eventually "calmed down" on eating so fast. I swear, Kira is absolutely NUTS when it comes to her food.

I ended up buying two things to try - one was the plastic "suction" "Gobble Stopper" - and it worked okay for a bit. The problem was that I include warm water with their food and it would seep under the suction cup on the bottom, which eventually made the suction stop working. I cleaned it after every meal b/c it got super gross. She would also try and grab the edges of it and pull it out of her dish. She ended up flipping her bowl out of the feeder twice because she grabbed the Gobble Stopper and tried to pull it out (but couldn't because of the suction). Ugh.

I then got a big stainless steel "ball" (it's the large "Omega Paw Portion Pacer Ball" on Amazon) and I love it. Our girl still eats pretty quick, but it slows her down and she's able to lick the ball (which she loves) without taking it out of her bowl. It's super easy to clean (toss it in the dishwasher) and it has a little weight to it so she can't flip it out of her dish.

Edited by Sundrop