Sign in to follow this  
greyhndz

25 Years With Greyhounds And I Feel Like A Newbie...

I've been hiding off the boards for the past couple of years, just dealing with life, loss, and the loss of all of my first pack of galgos. My last original galga, Gigi, went to the bridge today. My only remaining galgo, Timmy, is going to take this hard as he and Gigi were absolute besties. I have a special little galga coming from SOS Galgo but she can't get here until September or October. I've therefore now thinking about adopting a third while waiting for the 2nd. It might be a blast to have a "normal" RRGH after living with a very dysfunctional pack.

Anyway, I'm in Concord, NH area -- since I've been out of the loop for a long while, I'd like to ask people in the northern New England area: who would you consider a really good, reputable group, one from whom YOU would be comfortable adopting? Most of my greynounds were adopted from Marilyn at GAS in MA, and I've taken in some from GUR runs, from Marilyn Vartenberg, and a broodie or two. Age makes no difference. Must be female given Timmy's temperament, and must be IG safe. Any thoughts? Leads?

Anyone around who knows me knows that my house has a one-way revolving door, and I live for my hounds. Special needs? No problem.

Jordan, depressingly down to just Timmy and iggies Buddy and Jesse.

SPECIAL LITTLE GALGA: "Margot"

gallery_13500_3572_8333.jpg

gallery_13500_3572_26841.jpg

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I usually use Greyhound Rescue of NE - they are in Mendon which would add a bit to the trip. I find that they usually know the dogs well and I can trust their recommendations. I adopted/fostered all my greyhounds from them.

It's good to see you posting again, Jordan.

I recently (last October) adopted my boy Lucas from Fast Friends in Swanzey, NH. They are very close to Keene. I'm VERY impressed with them. Their facility is well kept, the people there are wonderful. I just went to their annual reunion yesterday. I would definitely recommend them to you. And if you do choose to visit them, let me know and I'm happy to put in a good word for you (not that I have much influence since I'm a new adopter with them, but I've kept in touch with them re: Lucas. They also bring in Galgos. I think they work with Galgos Del Sol.

Let me know what you decide to do!

Pat

Ditto Sighthound Underground. ScoobyNA is no longer operating. Royal Sighthound Connection is the new group that formed.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I usually use Greyhound Rescue of NE - they are in Mendon which would add a bit to the trip. I find that they usually know the dogs well and I can trust their recommendations. I adopted/fostered all my greyhounds from them.

Thanks so much, Mary Jane

I recently (last October) adopted my boy Lucas from Fast Friends in Swanzey, NH. They are very close to Keene. I'm VERY impressed with them. Their facility is well kept, the people there are wonderful. I just went to their annual reunion yesterday. I would definitely recommend them to you. And if you do choose to visit them, let me know and I'm happy to put in a good word for you (not that I have much influence since I'm a new adopter with them, but I've kept in touch with them re: Lucas. They also bring in Galgos. I think they work with Galgos Del Sol.

Pat

Thanks for this, Pat!They do work with Galgo del Sol because they brought my Timmy here with their group 2 years ago. I was going through their website and I think I'll put an application in. It feels very bizarre to be doing this again, because every adoption I've done over the years has either been with the group I worked with, or people I knew through a subscriber list like this, and because we all knew each other, it was like family. And now, application time...

And congrats on your new Lucas!

Donna Deskin (GT ChiliDog) had T-Legs in Montreal and they use the Northern Greyhound Kennel in St Alban Vermont.

Not sure how far that is from you, but all three of mine have come up from Florida through that kennel. Worth the 4-5 hour drive from Ontario.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Ditto Sighthound Underground. ScoobyNA is no longer operating. Royal Sighthound Connection is the new group that formed.

Oh, my... there is an interesting story behind this, isn't there? I'll call you. I just put in an app with SHUG.

Just got an e-mail from Anna (SOS Galgos) reminding me that little "Margot" needs me. I need her too, and it will be nice having her here in Sept.

Pat

We were there yesterday too! We may have seen you. My girls were the tiny black one with the pink birthday girl collar and my now mostly gray almost-10-year-old who leaned on everyone.

We adopted Hannah from Fast Friends in December. This was our 3rd greyhound from the 3rd adoption agency. I have nothing against any of the agencies we went though before, but Fast Friends was by far the best experience. The facility is clean, staff is super friendly and they genuinely care about each animal. I will go back to them next time we are looking for another hound.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Jordan, I know what you mean. Time change for sure. Please do keep us posted on what happens. Margot is beautiful!

HeidisMum - Yes! I remember meeting you on Sunday. I loved the collar that Hannah was wearing. She is such a cute little girl, and Betty was so sweet. Thanks for talking with us and introducing your girls.

Our last three greyhounds have come from GAS. Marilyn has been wonderful in all these adoptions. We will undoubtedly be visiting her again in the future.

It's nice to see you posting.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Margot :beatheart Those eyes. She is stunningly sweet, Jordan!

Seamie, Paddy Mayhem, and Aiden came from St Louis and Everything Greyt have been fabulous to work with. More locally, Ct Greyhounds also fosters their dogs and do a wonderful job. I'd be happy to be part of a GUR if needed.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

GPA-Massachusetts does a FANTASTIC job matching dogs with their humans, and goes out of their way to give each dog what it needs to flourish and get ready for their new families! They're in Middleborough, Mass.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Looks like all the groups in your area are terrific, so go with the one that appeals the most to you. Good luck!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Jordan! Hello, don't know if you remember me from your lost pup search. I think my Angel Dougie accompanied me then. Anywho, I too went through the same thing a couple of years ago. We were looking for an age specific dog, so some of the groups were out of our match. However, we adopted from Fast Friends in Swanzey. Very nice facility and they know their dogs personalities in the kennel .

Also, I have a warm place in my heart for Greyhound Rescue New England had they an older pup, they would have been my first go to. You already mentioned GAS. Not sure how far south you want to travel, but there is GPA in MIddleboro too.

Anyway, congrats on looking for an addition and good luck!

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Our last three greyhounds have come from GAS. Marilyn has been wonderful in all these adoptions. We will undoubtedly be visiting her again in the future.

It's nice to see you posting.

I adopted all of my RRG's from Marilyn many moons ago and I was thinking seriously about calling her. My brain cells are so fried at the moment that I'm taking a few more days to think about what I should do between now and when Margot arrives.

Donna Deskin (GT ChiliDog) had T-Legs in Montreal and they use the Northern Greyhound Kennel in St Alban Vermont.

Not sure how far that is from you, but all three of mine have come up from Florida through that kennel. Worth the 4-5 hour drive from Ontario.

Nancy, interestingly, I connected today with Telma Shaw, who runs GPS (Galgo & Podenco rescue), and she mentioned a group in Montreal that may either have or will soon have a galgo or podenco for adoption, so I'm waiting to hear back. St. Alban is way up north from here (and I'm in NH) but it's around a 4-hr drive to Montreal so that's do-able for me. I do recall from years back that there were a couple of women in Canada who were quite actively involved moving galgos from Scooby to Canada, but I don't know if they are the same people Telma is reaching out to.

Jordan! Hello, don't know if you remember me from your lost pup search. I think my Angel Dougie accompanied me then. Anywho, I too went through the same thing a couple of years ago. We were looking for an age specific dog, so some of the groups were out of our match. However, we adopted from Fast Friends in Swanzey. Very nice facility and they know their dogs personalities in the kennel .

Also, I have a warm place in my heart for Greyhound Rescue New England had they an older pup, they would have been my first go to. You already mentioned GAS. Not sure how far south you want to travel, but there is GPA in MIddleboro too.

Anyway, congrats on looking for an addition and good luck!

Ohhh, D and M of Sweet Potatoes... I am so glad you posted, because you were a part of Gigi's AA, weren't you? I've wanted to reach out to the wonderful AA people who helped bring Gigi home, because you have been such a special part of our hearts. Are you in touch with anyone else who was there in December 2006?

Margot :beatheart Those eyes. She is stunningly sweet, Jordan!

Seamie, Paddy Mayhem, and Aiden came from St Louis and Everything Greyt have been fabulous to work with. More locally, Ct Greyhounds also fosters their dogs and do a wonderful job. I'd be happy to be part of a GUR if needed.

Oh, Jan... I'd love to take you up on that GUR part, only this time driving *together*!! Haven't talked with you in ages... Thanks for the recommendations. :)

GPA-Massachusetts does a FANTASTIC job matching dogs with their humans, and goes out of their way to give each dog what it needs to flourish and get ready for their new families! They're in Middleborough, Mass.

Thank you! Wow, blast from the past. I don't know if anyone was around for the "Middleboro Rescue" back in the 1990's. I made some wonderful friends during that rescue. (BTW, the dogs came from a privately-owned kennel, not from GPA)

Margo is indeed a special little galga! She's beautiful!! :beatheart

Cricket

I'm quite sure she would curtsy and say "gracias"..

Looks like all the groups in your area are terrific, so go with the one that appeals the most to you. Good luck!

Thanks, Irene! It's been a long time since I actually thought about choosing a dog; it's always been a galgo who appeared at the right time, and who was (IMHO) sent from my most recently departed hound. It's always been a dog who was chosen for me, not the other way around. We think Mafi may be behind Margot, but whoever arrives now -- I just have to assume it's written in the stars....

Uh-oh... If I go to Montreal, I have to have a passport, don't I?!?l Holy crap.... how fast can I get a passport? :blink:

Hi Jordan,

Greyhound Options in western Mass also now has a Boston area chapter. All of their dogs are fostered first, so they would be able to tell you how they are with small dogs, cats, etc. http://greyhoundoptions.org/blog/

I am sorry to hear about GiGi :(

-Jen

Jen, Tessa & Raspberry
Forever in my heart, my boys: Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky & Wylie
www.greyhoundadventures.org

Nancy, interestingly, I connected today with Telma Shaw, who runs GPS (Galgo & Podenco rescue), and she mentioned a group in Montreal that may either have or will soon have a galgo or podenco for adoption, so I'm waiting to hear back. St. Alban is way up north from here (and I'm in NH) but it's around a 4-hr drive to Montreal so that's do-able for me. I do recall from years back that there were a couple of women in Canada who were quite actively involved moving galgos from Scooby to Canada, but I don't know if they are the same people Telma is reaching out to.

Yes.. I believe that Donna and T-Legs have been involved with some Pod rescue and getting dogs up to Montreal..

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Hi Jordan,

Greyhound Options in western Mass also now has a Boston area chapter. All of their dogs are fostered first, so they would be able to tell you how they are with small dogs, cats, etc. http://greyhoundoptions.org/blog/

I am sorry to hear about GiGi :(

-Jen

Hi Jen! Great to hear from you, and thanks for your kind words about our Gigi. I love Claire and GO... I used to foster, transport, donate, anything I could do for them because they're awesome people. I think I'm a distance from them but I definitely thought about them since I think they've been one of the stellar New England groups through the years.

Hey Jordan! It's Halise from GPA Ma. If you do go thru GPA MA, you have a friend with some "pull"!!

Halise

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal