Thundershirt Sizing For Greyhounds

Hi all, we are having some noise anxiety issues with our Grey and are going to try a Thundershirt. I haven't found one locally, so I'm going to order it, but I'm not sure what size to get. The Thundershirt FAQs only give the size chart in weight. She is a 75lb female with a chest circumference of 30.5"

Can anyone give me any info about the sizes you've used with your Greyhounds? Thanks!

We have an extra large which we bought for our 85 lb boy. I would say, at least a large. Even an XL and you could pull the velcro tighter.

They do sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond which would make for an easier return if needed. We bought ours from NGAP. The items is guaranteed or your money back.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

For my 73 and 65 lb greyhounds the Large would fit ok except at the chest. That front band needs to be a little be longer. I've thought about stitching it so the velcro won't pop.

The XL fit ok at the chest but seemed loose over the body.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Go with XL

The large is tiny ... it fits my 60# greyhound (barely), and fits a senior girly who weighs about ~55# pretty well.

We've had good luck augmenting the Thundershirt with Lavender Oil (topically) and Melatonin (3mg, dosed an hour before the storms if possible). And if you are 'into' essential oils, Dr. Melissa Shelton (the Oily Vet ... www.animaleo.info) offers a lovely oil called Calm-A-Mile which works wonderfully for storm phobic dogs and also in travels. You can also get Bach's Rescue Remedy (I like the FES Five Flowers version of the same blend) in more natural grocery/health stores (use the liquid).

good luck!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update in case someone comes across this thread looking for info: we ended up returning the Thundershirt, because it didn't seem to have any effect on Pepper.

As an alternative, we are working on some sound desensitization using youtube Thunderstorm sounds played through the stereo and pigs ears to chew on whenever we play the sounds. We started out with the sound very low and she is tolerating louder and louder sessions, so I think we are making progress!

She also did really well in Hurricane Irma. The only time she got really freaked out was when the transformer blew in our yard, but that scared the humans too.