Sudden Death In Greyhounds

We tragically lost our precious boy Clifford this evening and we don't know why. He was 10 yrs. old seemingly healthy. Nothing out of the ordinary today, all normal. Around 7pm he was laying in his bed, and moved his head in a strange way, against the wall. He cried out a few times, my wife and I rushed to him and he was shaking (seizing maybe). All the sudden he seemed to stop breathing, his heart was racing very fast, he kinda lurched a couple of times and then nothing. No heartbeat, no breathing, he was gone. Needless to say, we are devastated by this sudden loss and of course I want to know why. Do the symptoms right before he died sound like anything someone can put their finger on? I know we'll probably never know and having gone through cancer with our sweet Chloe several years back, I guess I'm grateful he went quickly, seemingly painlessly. Well, if anything it helps to post it.

Oh no, how awful :cry1 I'm sorry that I don't have any info to give you.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Something similar happened to a friends dog. They were told it was a massive stroke but the vet could not give them any reasons why it happened. The dog was just about 7 years old.

I am very sorry Clifford is gone. Chase the wind sweet boy.

Edited by Scoutsmom

This is heartbreaking, I am so sorry. From what you describe, it sounds as tho Clifford (I love his name) may possibly have had a stroke. Would you want to consider having an autopsy done? Having recently gone through a sudden loss, I will forever be grateful to my vet who suggested that we have one done and it did provide what we needed to know. Perhaps it would help to bring some closure for you. My heart goes out to you and your wife, take care of yourselves :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. It's never easy, but even harder when it's so sudden and unexplained.

It does sound like a stroke of some kind. There's nothing you could have done or known beforehand, if so. They just come out of no where.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

The very same took my Jack. Never found out what took him at 8.5 yrs but it was far too soon. Likely a stroke or embolism. I am truly sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

How incredibly sad; my sincere condolences.

Stroke, ruptured aneurysm, even a broken neck from an old and unknown injury perhaps severing the spinal chord. (I mention the latter because that's how I've seen birds die when they fly into a window). But no matter what the reason I don't think you could have done anything to stop it. Perhaps you can take some comfort from the fact that Clifford never needed to suffer the real horrors of disease in old age. That still leaves the human family with the grief to process in its own time and in its own way. Words don't really work.... :gh_run2 ........ run free at the Bridge, Clifford. :f_white

:( I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Clifford.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry that Clifford had to leave you. I will add his name to the list of Bridge Angels in Remembrance.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How tragic. Run with the angels, sweet boy. Peace to your grieving hearts.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and words. It helps a lot. We have Clifford's mate Piper to help us through and us helping her through. She seems so sad today, understandably so. No easy way, time will hopefully heal and memories will sustain us.

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost two who died within the same day that they appeared sick. We are never ready to let them leave, are we?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry that Clifford had to leave you so suddenly. That is so difficult to deal with. My heart goes out to you. :f_white

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that your presence when he left must have made him feel so loved until the very end. Run free sweet Clifford

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

There is no way to know without a necropsy--

I lost a six year old Siamese cat in the same horrible, sudden manner. He just made a noise and fell over dead. It was very traumatic.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am so sorry for such a horrible tragedy to befall dear Clifford. I have no info medically but I do know from experience that when it is their time they are going irregardless of ANYTHING you can do. Clifford could have been on a table in ICU with a team of skilled Drs standing there and he still would have left. Or if he wouldn't have left that way it would have been another way but it was out of your hands. I share this because my soul mate Slim taught me this when he crossed over unexpectedly at a young age to address my normal but unfounded guilt and 'what if's' I was going through. I have since found it to be true. My deepest sympathy. I know it feels like being stabbed in the heart when it is so sudden. I am sure you will find though that the real Clifford that you loved and that was spirit has not really left and will always be with you. Only his body died. Be open minded and he may send you a sign. You will recognize it as coming from him because you know his energy.

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_run