Flea Prevention!

Guest MikBee

Guest MikBee

I noticed last week that Odin had a tapeworm in his poo. I didn't think too much about it because we do have him on a flea prevention and I never see him scratching or anything, so I figured maybe my mom's dogs have fleas and he got it from them. (Which my mom is now treating them for.)

But I noticed today that Odin DOES definitely have fleas.

We were using this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/vets-best-topical-flea-and-tick-treatment-for-dogs-4-month-supply

I wanted to try the non poison route first, but obviously it's not working.

So... what does everyone here use? What is, and isn't, safe for greyhounds?

I've heard of this but haven't used it so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, but it's the only natural thing I can think of at the moment.

https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest MikBee

Thanks! I'll check that out. :)

Whatever we get doesn't have to be natural, though. I just figured it couldn't hurt to try that route first. But I'd rather have him comfortable, and worm-free!

I'm just scared of getting something that might hurt him, and I see a lot of conflicting info about certain ones sometimes.

I use the Bug Off plus Front Line. My girl really doesn't care for the taste; the boy eats anything. Sometimes she won't eat her food, if I put the tablet into it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Natural remedies DO NOT WORK. Even to oft-touted "Skin So Soft." I watched them do a test. And anyone who says it does work is just lucky, cause they guy I saw soak his arm with it and stick it in a box full of mosquitoes was eaten alive!

There isn't a single reputable organization that says they do. And as far as I can recall, there are NO popular (common) preventatives that greyhounds (as a group) cannot use. Certain individual dogs may of course have different sensitivities. I do wish new adoption packages would come with this information.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest bayhound

In our area, if the flea/tick preventative is topical, it just doesn't work - especially if the dogs and their owners travel a lot or are in and out of others' homes that have pets. We also have a lot of people around here that would prefer a natural or supplemental approach, and again, for some reason, it just hasn't seemed to be holding up like it used to. What I've seen work best are Seresto Collars and the Bravecto chew. The collars are safe to handle, last 8 months, and are a great deal for how long they last (especially if you order them online from Amazon or Chewy.com). Bravecto I believe lasts every 3 months (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and I've seen no ill reports on it. If you don't have cats, I'd also suggest adding a little apple cider vinegar to Odin's drinking water to help alongside a preventative. You can easily find a conversion for the amount to add if you Google it.

Congrats on your new handsome boy, and I hope you find something that works!

Edited by bayhound

Guest MikBee

Thanks! Yeah I have been doing some research and we have decided to try the Seresto collars. It seems like everyone likes those and has had good experiences with them. :)

$44.23 plus $5.95 shipping at Pets Megastore Australia...if you sweet talk them they always throw in free shipping. I have used them for close to 20 years and everything has been 100% perfect. Once I ordered from Foster and Smith and AU the same day and AU arrived first.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Head's up, I discovered the hard way when I moved that Frontline Plus does not work for fleas in SC, at least not my part, I still use it for ticks paired with Trifexis for fleas and heart worm, five years, no problem.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MikBee

Well, we washed him down with really well with dawn yesterday, dried him off, and put the Seresto collar on him.

I just checked him over and, so far so good! I don't see any fleas. :) Even after being with my mom's dogs.

I think when he needs more heartworm prevention, we will look into Trifexis. But since the collar lasts 8 months, it will outlast the 5 months of Tri heart we have, now.

Thanks, everyone!

MikBee, you may still see the occasion flea. Still consider a Capstar (only good for one day) or Comfortis (good for 30 days). Many vets no longer sell Capstar so I order online and keep it on hand for emergency pickups or fosters.

Simple way to check your house: put a shallow pan of water on the floor under a nightlight at bedtime, perhaps add one teeny drop of Dawn. In the morning check the water for fleas. Easy fleasy :)

Old timey Ocracoke Island in-house solution: if you have any wax myrtle shrubs in your area, break off some small branches and place them around inside your house (provided your dogs aren't wood chewers). If you rub the leaves they will smell slightly like cedar. Remove any berries that might be on them. As those leaves dry remove them to your porch, vacuum thoroughly. If you still think there are fleas then repeat the process. Branches on the porch can go in your yard near the doors. Took me a week when I bought a flea infested housed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest MikBee

Yep! We did deworm him once we saw them. Keeping am eye on him now to make sure we don't see any signs of reinfection because of the fleas..