Eating Everything

I did a huge amount of research before getting our latest addition and we couldn't have asked for a better addition to our family. The only thing that has really surprised me is that she is VERY food oriented. I didn't come across that so much in my research! She's a pain for counter surfing (I did know that was a thing and we have learnt our lesson - particularly after two Victoria sponges went that I'd made for the church fair!) but also things like picking raspberries off the bushes in the garden. I don't mind at all, I just didn't realise greyhounds could be so greedy! Is this a greyhound thing or is it just our greyhound thing?

:lol re the Victoria sponges. I'll bet they were delicious.

Most of mine have been (1) insatiable, and (2) determined. Anything growing in the edible garden has always been fair game, and anything left too near the edge of the counter or left unattended on the dinner table. If I have to leave something to cool, I push it to the back of the counter and put pots/pans in front of it -- be warned, though, that some dogs will push all that aside to get the goodies; mine usually don't for some reason.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh wow - OK so we'll just learn our lesson well! I'm less bothered about the fruit picking - saves me having to make jam!

Actually, if I'm honest the Victoria sponges were a bit dry so maybe it was for the best :rofl

Most of these hounds don't miss anything that goes on in the kitchen. :chow

You should be able to train the counter surfing out of them (mostly) and will have to be careful about what you leave out, especially if it smells good to them. There have been a few dogs on here over the years who knew how to break into the pantry, open the freezer and get something etc. Painful experiences for the owners, pure entertainment for the rest of us! :bgeorge Bonus points if you take a picture of the offender and the offense and post it! :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest goofydog2

Many years ago one of the FullHouse hounds managed to snag a salmon steak out of the 'active' frying pan!

My first boy wouldn't think of taking anything that wasn't specifically given to him. My current fellow is a challenge. If it's not nailed down and even remotely smells edible he will put it in his mouth. Heck, he's almost like a toddler and must put every item I touch in his mouth just to see if it might be edible! After he took one of the 2 thawing boneless chicken breasts off the counter I thought the H unit had learned a lesson. I soon discovered said H unit had a formerly unknown learning disability after I went to package the remaining smoked pork shoulder and found it already done. I thanked said H unit for already putting it up only to hear him say that he hadn't done it! Only the bone was left, probably because I walked in to the kitchen as he Morrie was scoping it out. I also quickly taught him the 'gentle' command when giving treats.

I don't know if the insatiable food drive can be trained out, however I do know it can be restrained with some simple training. Best of luck and don't forget to count your fingers on a daily basis!

I had a dog that snagged a few green tomatoes off the vine as we passed, then washed them down with a frog that jumped in front of us.

This weekend, my daughter was in town. I prepared filet mingon for dinner. As my daughter reached for her knife to cut her meat, one of my dogs snatched the whole piece off the plate and swallowed it before it hit the ground. As we sat there trying to process what just happened, my dear Specky almost grabbed an ear of corn from my plate.

I had a dog that snagged a few green tomatoes off the vine as we passed, then washed them down with a frog that jumped in front of us.

This weekend, my daughter was in town. I prepared filet mingon for dinner. As my daughter reached for her knife to cut her meat, one of my dogs snatched the whole piece off the plate and swallowed it before it hit the ground. As we sat there trying to process what just happened, my dear Specky almost grabbed an ear of corn from my plate.

Oh my word!

Better a Victoria Sponge than a real one! :hehe Johnny has been good about staying out of the kitchen, but he does like to eat cicadas outside.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

OMG I LOL'd, sorry! :rofl

Years ago we had a Golden who ate about a half dozen raw yeast rolls that were rising :haha !

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Xena was a counter surfer when we 1st got her. I took 5 empty soda cans, put 6 or so pennies in each one, taped the opening (so the coins wouldn't fall out & be eaten), tied them together & stacked them pyramid style. I then tied the bait (in this case, a hot dog bun) on a longer string attached to the pyramid & set the bait close to the edge of the counter and walked away. She goes after the bait, which pulls the cans down & makes a loud, frightening racket. The dog associates this with the unwanted behavior, and not with you. We had to do this several times, but she (mostly) stays away from the counter now. Good luck!

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

You can also try adding more bulk to her food with fiber. It sort of helps - keeps them feeling filled up longer which *may* lessen their desire to grab random food stuffs. Non-soluble Metamucil, or a veggie stew from the crock pot, canned sweet potatoes, veggie snacks like carrots or celery.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

LOL....My Aaerro is a Pizza Thief. When she was a puppy she stole a large slice off my plate ninja style. I looked up and saw her tail whipping around the door. She's still a Pizza Thief, but she's less ...errr... talented... about it now, Heeheee.

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

I had to put the kitchen trash behind a securely closed door to keep it away from my first grey. She would eat stuff you'd never dream of -- like untold amounts of raw rice from a 5lb bag that was on top of a microwave oven on the counter. The back yard looked like a rice paddy for the next few days. But at least she never learned to open the fridge, like a dog we kept overnight on a GUR (greyhound underground railroad) transfer.

The above posts show the reason why "out" is the first command the dogs here get taught. And are not allowed near the table when people are eating. Milo is living proof that dogs can eventually learn to tone down the counter surfing.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My Sobe was a 90 lb male. He acted like he was starving the whole time we had him. He'd eat anything that wasn't tied down. I did every trick to make him feel less food-obsessed. He defeated every no-open trash can I bought. He learned how to open my oven when I started keeping the bread in the oven. He learned how to open the microwave when I kept the bread in the microwave. He learned to open the refrigerator!!!! I had to bungie-cord my refrigerator shut.

Yes, some of them are just food-obsessed. He ate a 5 lb bag of sugar - SUGAR- one time and had BIG D all over the carpet to the point that we ripped out the carpet.

Oh man, the sugar! That's horrible!

We've been wise so far regarding food (apart from the fact there was a very close shave with resident guinea pig this weekend) but I'm just waiting for the next incident. I like the idea of drink cans.... maybe we'll try.

Oh yeah, small squeaky things--Johnny is obsessed with them when we go to Petsmart/Petco, both the birds and small mammals. He grabbed my mom's cockatiel by the tail feathers thru the cage, fortunately no harm done! But he does want to visit with the bird when we go over there :D .

Guest PackMomma

The first week we had Willow home I had not been thinking and left a pack of bacon out to thaw on a counter, I came back to the kitchen and couldn't find it anywhere. I was really concerned because I couldn't find the packaging and I was worried she would get sick, but then after looking around I found the shredded plastic politely deposited in the sink. She has since learned to open cabinets or pop lids off plastic containers, but she has learned "leave it", and "not yours" and as long as I am there she will stop and leave a food item if I can tell her to. She hasn't learned to open stoves, or microwaves, or the fridge. Luckily she is pretty much a Velcro dog and likes to stay in the same room I am in so I can mostly keep her shenanigans under control. :) These dogs are so much fun and so smart.

Make sure you NEVER leave fruit cake out on a work surface or table, same goes for dried fruits, grapes, chocolate or any human medication. My whippet kindly shared a small Christmas cake with my Japanese Chin one Christmas Eve and both were hospitalised for 24 hours. He also stole my blood pressure tablets out of their tinfoil packaging - it cost about £100 just for the injection to make him vomit them up!!!

You have been warned!

On a funnier note, many years ago I walked into the house after walking our whippets, took the lead off one and before we knew what was happening he launched himself across the room and stole my daughter's corned beef sandwich right off her plate from where she was sitting on the settee.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.