How Loud And Scary Is A Greyhound's Bark?

So I've wanted a Greyhound for years. I was actually getting ready to send in my application when my father passed away a year and a half ago. I was the farm manager on his farm, the rest of the family insisted on selling, and now I live in town, which I despise, and not in the greatest of neighborhoods.

I have 2 cats, a Havanese, and a chihuahua. My chi would do her best to protect me but let's face it, how scary can her bark really be?

I want a big dog, and I would like a dog who sounds like a big dog. I'm not looking for a mean dog, or one trained for protection, I want a companion. But it would be a nice side benefit if my big dog's bark made someone think twice about skulking around my house.

Would anyone be intimidated by a Greyhound's bark? And would a Grey be inclined to bark at strange noises?

I also take my dogs to work with me. I work at a family owned embroidery retail shop, where customers come in and out, but my dogs are confined to the back part of the shop where they've got plenty of room and a couch to lay on.

Does my lifestyle sound appropriate for a Greyhound? I know each dog is very different, even dogs of the same breed. I've raised Australian Cattle Dogs, and have had a lot of experience with other breeds of dogs, but never a Greyhound even though for some reason, I've felt a pull towards the breed for more than 20 years.

Any thoughts?

Many Greyhounds don't bark much. My Sammy didn't get that memo. He barks. and barks. and barks. He especially barks at foxes, deer, and this neighborhood dog (I call him the Pariah dog) who gives off a bad vibe, so every dog barks at him. Sammy's bark is pretty scary. He's also a big boy, 80 pounds, and has black fur, which seems to scare some people. He doesn't have the usual willowy Greyhound build -- I call him my linebacker -- so he is a little more substantial than many Greys. I often get asked if he is a different breed, Doberman, Great Dane, etc.

It's certainly possible you could work with a group to get a "barker" and train him or her to bark when you want. However, sometimes the biggest Greys have the tiniest barks, so it might be a crap shoot. My Sammy never barks at strange noises.

As for lifestyle, it really depends on the dog. Some would be thrilled to have the situation you describe, and some would be miserable. I would suggest working with your local group to find a dog who could be happy in your environment. Obviously, work would likely have to be done to get the Grey comfortable with your little dogs and kitties. My Sammy would not do well with most little dogs or cats in the house, though he was great with a Shih-Tzu I used to dog sit. My last Grey, Mandy, loved (in a good way) little dogs and cats, plus she loved meeting people, so she would have been thrilled in your situation. She only barked one time in seven years, however, that was when a Doberman tried to "get familiar" with her, she told him NO.

Hopefully you have a group close by that you can work with to find the perfect Grey for you. They're wonderful dogs!

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Myka almost never barks but I trained her to bark on command. She's not even 60 lbs but she has a very big bark that surprises everyone because it's big and loud.

Edited by Jenbo

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

My Labrador had a deeper woof than Johnny does. His has a slight up pitch to it. He only barks at other dogs, and then very rarely.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

All of mine bark, but some more than others. The two main barkers are closely related (aunt and nephew)..... And the nephew, who is big and black, is also quite protective of me. He barks, but more threatening is his stare and growl. That said, he'd be a disaster in your workplace because he doesn't like strange humans. At all.

So I think it would be possible, but my groups tend to be either people lovers (no barking but great for your work) or people takethemorleavethem (plenty of alert barking and possibly more, but disasters for your work).

And, dammit, I've lost my signature. Thank you photobucket!

Greyhounds generally tend to not be barkers, but many who do learn from being around other dogs who do bark :) I've had one who barked, he was very territorial and protective of me, also not really typical greyhound traits. His bark was very scary, I felt very safe with him around. The rest of my greys, not so much :lol although I have found some people wary of my two black girls, I guess they just see a big black dog.

If you work with a group, explain your lifestyle and what you are looking for, I am sure you could find a grey who would suit.

I've had a couple with deep scary barks. The five I had a few years ago would bark if a person showed up outside the house. My current four only bark at outside critters. I have a grey that has only barked once since I got her in October. I recently had a large truck pull up, and a guy bring twelve large bags of grain on to the porch. All four dogs were on the other side of the door when he went back and forth between the porch and truck. They didn't care. My old guys used to go nuts on delivery day.

I have had large Greyhounds with little dog barks, and smaller ones with scary barks. All my dogs would love your work situation.

I really do prefer a quiet dog, especially to take to work. My two girls are doing better, they don't bark every time someone comes into the shop any more, but they do bark if we bring someone back to look at thread choices or designs.

I do think if people just see/know I've got a big dog, that prevents a lot of people from coming right up to the house. In a perfect world, it would only bark when someone is on the porch or close to the house. It's a shame this isn't a perfect world!!

Thanks for your responses.

I have three greyhounds. Our landlord was showing our house and wanted to come in early on a Saturday. It was our only day to sleep in, so we told them it was fine, but they wouldn't be able to see the master bedroom because we'd probably still be asleep. The dogs all sleep with us in the bedroom. When people came in Summit never batted an eye, Kili got up and stared at the bedroom door, and Kenna was the only one that started barking. Kili does sometimes bark at people coming up to the front door, but not always. Kenna's mother is a serious barker so there's some genetics involved.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest DarkHorse

Our current two do bark a fair amount, although usually only when they're worked up.

KB's bark is quite loud and intimidating. He sounds like my parents' lab, only a little less resonant. He'd be quite good as a guard dog, but we've actually tried to train him not to bark at the door/visitors.

Cole, on the other hand, has a high pitched, almost shrieking, bark. He sounds like a little 20lb dog when he barks. And his bark is always excitement based.

I think it's possible to get a greyhound with an intimidating bark who is prone to barking. Training them to only bark at people coming up to your house would be up to you!

Ivy barks any time she hears someone at the door. Although she is a tiny girl (53 pounds), her bark is pretty scary and sounds like a big dog. Beka also has a loud bark, mostly at other dogs who are barking at her. Our Angel Breeze rarely barked, but when she did, it was VERY deep and scary.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

It depends on the dog! There are some with awesome deep barks, some with medium barks, and some with high squeaky "Are you sure that's not a bichon" barks. :lol

Our first boy never ever barked except for once. Dad worked late and came home. Regis slept in the sunroom. Dad came up to the sunroom door, started unlocking it, and Regis leapt up and barked so nice and loud. Dad was impressed.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Haha, if you need a barker, a greyhound should be your second last choice after a dingo. Some bark a bit but don't count on it. To answer your question about what the bark is like, well, they vary. I had my first grey for almost a year before he barked. I assumed it would be a pitiful little squeak, but it was like a thunderclap. The loudest, scariest bark I have ever heard. I should note he was very large. But in the six years he was with me he only barked three or four times.

Edited by KickReturn

Barking is a bit of a mixed bag, as you've found. All my greyhounds have barked, just never at anything I wanted them to!! :lol

They bark at each other. They bark at cats and crows and squirrels. They bark at other dogs. They bark at people walking in the street by the yard - with or without dogs. They bark at walking people they know well, and who always stop to give them treats. The *only* people they don't bark at are people who come to the front door! :rolleyes: Delivery people, mail people, salesmen, religious pamphlet passer-outters, new siding estimators - they can all walk right up to the door! Wiggly butts and wagging tails is what they're greeted with most often.

I always tell people who ask, that the only way a burgler is going to get hurt breaking into my house is when they trip over a sleeping greyhound!!!

My one greyhound I had that barked at strangers at the door was my spook, and she barked at everyone. She would never have wanted to be in your work situation. But all the others I've had would lovelovelove to go to work and hang out, especially if it means extra attention throughout the day.

I will say, however, most people who don't know (big) dogs can be quite wary around greyhounds. They *are* big, and they can look scary to those who don't understand their body language.

I agree with the above posters who said to be honest with your group and tell them truthfully about your lifestyle and how you would like a greyhound to fit into it. Nothing in what you descibe would rule you out from adopting, in my opinion. Living in the city, you will need to commit to getting your dog enough walks and potty trips per day. Our group also requires a landlords approval/release before adopting to poeple who rent.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My two cents, let go of the idea of a dog barking to scare people away and look for a grey that will fit your lifestyle otherwise. As other people have pointed out, finding a dog who alert barks at home, but not while at work with you may be challenging.

I'm single and live alone. There are plenty of ways to make sure your home is secure and safe that don't involve a dog barking and honestly, greyhounds are hard to miss and many people find their size intimidating so it may deter some people from approaching you even if he/she doesn't bark.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Funny coincidence: We have a 4' tall ex-pen surrounding the front outside of the fence gate (as a hound safety air-lock space), which doubles as a clear indicator that large dogs live here. Recently, neighborhood watch reported suspicious activity, so my old Rottweiler Road sign was unearthed and moved out front. (No Greyhound signs since they're not known as guard dogs.) Our standard "Beware of Dog" signs are Dobermans. We didn't know one of our Greyhounds had a voice for the first two years, but he watched everything. :) None of our pack bark when hearing the front doorbell. We've considered adding an automated recording of a fierce dog's bark! One hound barks at critters and during play sessions, but doesn't have a deep voice. Fortunately, surrounding neighbors' bark-at-everything dogs have deep barks.

In seven years, I don't think George barked once. Buck will bark if I ignore him "talking" for too long, but he would never bark at a noise, or a person. He barks at me if I am not paying enough attention. Bark or not, anyone inclined to be intimidated by a large dog would probably be intimidated by a greyhound. So many people have so many ridiculous beliefs about them to start with.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Monty only barks when excited and you ask him if he's hungry. Wait...he also barks when you ask him if he wants to 'go to Grandma's' but not 'to go for a car ride'. Apparently Grandma's is better than a generic car ride. It is a big bark, but not triggered by anything but excitement. One might be able to train a grey to bark on command like that if you were nervous about someone at the door, but relying on it happening regularly? I wouldn't.

I did know a tiny (55 lb maybe) greyhound girl who was a good alert dog with a positively HUGE bark when people came to the door, though.

The consensus seems to be "get the most petite girl hound, they have the biggest WOOF!" :lol:

Johnny is a greeter when strangers come over, got to get those face licks in!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg