Let's Talk Toothbrushes (For Dogs Of Course)

I have this idea about dog toothbrushes, that the bristles should be as soft as the ones we use and also that each dog should have his/her own brush for best oral hygiene. I struggle to find dog toothbrushes to meet those needs: when I find them with soft bristles, they all have the same handle color. When I find a multi-pack with different colored handles, they have stiff bristles. I tried marking each dog's first initial on the handles with a Sharpie, but it always rubs off after a few days, so just assigning a different colored brush to each dog is best.

I've searched and searched, and can't find this exact combination anywhere. I want them for myself but also I think if I find them I could sell them in my shop to like-minded pet owners. I've been searching for suppliers and even there I can't find anybody who does that combination: soft and multicolored packages. Before I give up, I thought I'd do sort of a casual poll here to see if I'm being overly picky. Do very soft bristles matter for a dog? Am I the only one who doesn't want their dogs to share brushes?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I don't brush my dog's teeth, but you can find what you're looking for quite easily on Amazon.com, although the toothbrushes are people toothbrushes!

Given they lick each other's ears and other body parts, I can't see how sharing a toothbrush would hurt them--but I also don't get upset if my dog drinks out of the toilet so ...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Here in the UK I find a child's toothbrush works well, better than the dog toothbrush I used to use. It has softer bristles than an adult's and a nice small head. Family multi-packs from the supermarket are inexpensive and include different designs for different siblings. Ken is currently on the pink and yellow bunny one - not very manly! :bunny

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

--but I also don't get upset if my dog drinks out of the toilet so ...

Residual cleaning chemicals is a good reason to keep the lid closed and dogs out of the toilet, just sayin.

Agree with OP about ID-ing individual toothbrushes - I'd probably wrap different color lab tape or duct tape on the handles :D

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I use a piece of cheapo dollar store knee-high hose wrapped around my finger. Rinse, hang to dry, repeat till it's worn out.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Sweep has a toddler toothbrush with Eeyore on it. :) It has soft bristles and I like the shorter handle for the better control it provides. I think it came from Target. If your dogs prefer Care Bears, there's a variety pack on Amazon.

Or what about something like this or this?

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Dollar Tree--Cheap, multicolored, all bristle types. Also, you could wrap a colored rubber band around the handle of each one.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I've used human toothbrushes and liked them. My husband prefers the double-bent handle of the dog toothbrushes, though, so that's why I was trying to find something that had all three characteristics (long, bent handle; extra soft bristles; different colors packaged together). I've found all three things in dog toothbrushes, just not all at the same time. Typically you get multicolored packages of bent handle brushes with hard bristles - or you get a package of 2 or 4 bent handle brushes with extra soft bristles that are all the same color.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

I brush my girls' teeth every day. I haven't found a dog toothbrush that I actually like. My 2 greyhounds each get a new toothbrush every 6 months when we go to the dentist. My husband and I use electric toothbrushes on ourselves, so we give the new soft bristle toothbrushes from the dentist to the dogs. Each dog has their own toothbrush for hygiene reasons. The adult size, soft bristle human toothbrushes work for me.

Good luck with your search!

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

I brush my girls' teeth every day. I haven't found a dog toothbrush that I actually like. My 2 greyhounds each get a new toothbrush every 6 months when we go to the dentist. My husband and I use electric toothbrushes on ourselves, so we give the new soft bristle toothbrushes from the dentist to the dogs. Each dog has their own toothbrush for hygiene reasons. The adult size, soft bristle human toothbrushes work for me.

Good luck with your search!

If you could design a brush that you liked, what would it look like?

Part of the reason for this topic and asking you this specifically, is trying to figure out if it might be worth it to approach some manufacturer to make them as per my own design so I can sell them. That is likely an expensive task, but if there's an untapped market for better dog toothbrushes it could be a good thing for me to invest in.

If you could design a brush that you liked, what would it look like?

Part of the reason for this topic and asking you this specifically, is trying to figure out if it might be worth it to approach some manufacturer to make them as per my own design so I can sell them. That is likely an expensive task, but if there's an untapped market for better dog toothbrushes it could be a good thing for me to invest in.

Here's what I have tried:

-Double sided dog brush: found it too hard to use

-long handle dog brush with bent handle: actually found the bent handle awkward to use.

-finger brush: I love and trust my girls but still don't want my finger in their mouth. Also I don't feel like this cleans as well as a regular brush.

-Human kids toothbrush: too small for their mouths

-Human adult toothbrush: my favorite, even for my small 50lb girl

What features would I like to have: human adult toothbrush with a thicker handle for easier holding

But.. I will be honest and say I wouldn't spend much money on a toothbrush. I use the giveaway ones from my dentist, so I don't see myself as spending the money on one even if it was an amazing design. My money tends to go toward toys, cold weather gear (jackets, jammies) beds and treats.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

my old toothbrushes. the electric heads are nice and soft, fit right in. the regular heads work almost as well. it seems as if it's the #1 give away at dog events, i must have a dozen of the long handled double headed in my dog goods stash.the other free items are poop bags and can covers- you gotta go to some all breed canine adoption events and acquire a few.

I've always transitioned my ghs to using a sonicare-yes, it can be done with patience.

I've brushed their teeth daily with the sonicare and have had amazing results. My Stan was brushed daily since his adoption at the age 4 -he passed at the age 11 1/2 and he had beautiful pearly white teeth-never had a cleaning ;-)

Just use human brushes. All 3 of my dogs have their own brush in "their" colour. Summit's colour is blue, Kili's are pink and purple, and Kenna's is green. Dogs should definitely have their own brush because every individual has their own unique microflora in their mouth.

You can also train them to use electric toothbrushes, but I've just never bothered as I find the traditional brush works just fine for me.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Okay, thanks all! I think we can continue as we are, and I won't bother trying to get a product manufactured. It sound like the reason that exact combination isn't being sold anywhere is because there are too many better/cheaper alternatives. :)