Greyhound Statues At Stairs

Guest Zmatilda

Guest Zmatilda

Hi all! I have had my 3.5 year old Millie for two weeks now. She is so incredibly sweet and is adjusting so well. I live on the second floor of an apartment with a short flight of stairs up to the porch, and a larger set inside going up to the second floor. It took her about a week getting used to the stairs, and I started by placing each paw on every stair. She has gotten the hang of it and now has no problem going up and down on her own, and I make sure to give lots of praise each time. The problem I've been running into the past couple days is she sometimes will refuse to go up or down the stairs. She has never been particularly excited to go for a walk, but sometimes she will go down the stairs with no problem but will refuse to go up and visa versa. Treats and trying to move her paws have not worked at all. Sometimes walking in a circle and coming back to the stairs helps, but today she has gotten even more stubborn and is taking even longer to get her up and down. I haven't been able to notice any rhyme or reason as to why she will be fine going up or down sometimes and refuse at other times.

If you're in the Northern Hemisphere where it is now high summer, a lot of them just don't want to go out at all between about 8am and 9pm. They don't want to eat so much either. Have someone call the dog up the stairs with a tasty treat, or put one there before you try to let the dog back in.

Examine the pads for corns or pavement-burn.

Guest Rusty_JRP

Hi, I'm new to the site and adopted my first Grey 4 weeks ago exactly. Not much to add besides having the same issue as you and will wait for responses from other members.

Rusty is 5 years old and has been doing the same thing since he learned how to use the stairs two weeks ago. He has no problem going downstairs but sometimes he becomes stubborn to go up the stairs. Half the times he'll go up by himself and I praise him every time. And half the time he'll decide that he doesn't want to walk up. In which, I'll place his paw on the first and second step and then he'll go up. Not a huge problem but just wondering if there's anything I can do to help him gain the motivation to go up every time. I tried high value treats when I was first teaching him but he would not take them so I haven't tried since.

Welcome to Greytalk! Congratulations on your adoption of Millie! :)

This may seem odd, but could you please try to explain the stairs to us from a dog's perspective?

Are they standard size, extra deep or wide, concrete or wooden steps?

Do all steps have risers enclosing the back of each step, or are they open/see through?

Are the indoor steps carpeted?

What is the flooring material between the patio door and the indoor steps?

How often is the dog using the steps, and how long are outings?

What is your state or general region of the country?

(Welcome and congratulations to Rusty too!)

Guest Zmatilda

Thank you for your responses! And I apologize for the delayed response-we are currently dealing with a bad case of hookworms. Oddly enough, the day after posting this Millie has been doing much better with the stairs! She still freezes occasionally but has gotten better. We live in Maine but when she started to statue it was when the weather was 60's, so I don't think it's the heat. Both indoor and outdoor stairs are standard, enclosed and wooden, but the indoor set is painted a dark color. We use both sets of stairs any time we go for walks, so typically 4 times a day. I have noticed that the longer the walks are, the more likely she is to go up the stairs with no problem. On the way down it just seems to depend on her mood.

So sorry about the hookworms. That makes things more challenging, but glad her stair freezes are lessening.

In addition to John's reply:

Please try to ensure both sets of stairs are very well lit. A brighter bulb inside might help considering the dark paint.

Wooden steps (without any safety texture added) can be extremely slippery and scary when wet.

A newly retired Greyhound statuing is usually fear-based. Often takes more time to adjust to unique muscular motions required for stairs.

A less common consideration is physical soreness while climbing stairs.

Many dogs won't eat treats when feeling uneasy about a task. Keep emotions happy, positive and fun. Your circle (game) to get her started is great.

If she realizes she's about to be left alone for an extended time, she might be thinking she needs one last elimination (hookworm bowel issues) before going inside.

Going down steps can feel more scary to some dogs.

If needed, take her to practice during daytime at a public place that has extra wide cement steps.

Newly retired hounds watching other dogs maneuvering stairs can be very helpful.

Good luck! :)

I'll agree with needing some texture to wooden stairs. Our fist hound could not handle our stairs until we put carpet treads on them, and they have stayed there now thru 3 dogs.

And each of our dogs have taken about a month to conquer both up and down... so you are doing just fine... but I know it is annoying and even scary attempting to help a 70lb dog.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).