Toothpaste Suggestions

Just used the last little bit of Nylabone brand toothpaste. Meh. What are you GTer's using for your hounds' dental health? What's particularly good at blasting tartar on those way-back, hard-to-reach molars?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ubiquitously.... :twd: I actually like Virbac products; my vet uses them. Off to Amazon to check it out. Thanks!

I use Sentry Petrodex and it has always worked very well.

Thanks...I'll check it out. :)

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My dog goes nuts over the Virbac CET chicken flavor.

Oh, good! I ordered some last night. I once used a peppermint flavored toothpaste (not CET brand) and poor Wendy promptly :puke .

Virbac CET. My favourite is the Vanilla Mint because it actually smells good. lol. I wish they made human toothpaste in this flavour!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest bayhound

Virbac CET all the way! Most pets from what I've seen like the vanilla-mint and chicken/poultry flavor the best, and their human counterparts like the vanilla-mint for its "freshness". :P When it comes to other pet toothpastes, I often look at the ingredients and wonder... how exactly is this stuff keeping my pet's teeth clean? Most of it seems to be junky (aside from those preservatives to keep a pasty consistency). However, since the Verbac has enzymes, it actually breaks down compounds and reduces bacteria in the mouth, helping to prevent tartar in the future. When you buy it in the future, check Chewy too - sometimes they have sales. I recently ordered some for $6.99. Good luck! :)

Also, I tend to save money by buying baby/soft toothbrushes with a long handle at Walmart/Dollar General. They work just as well as the ones specifically for dogs, and they're so much cheaper too.

Edited by bayhound

Virbac CET all the way! Most pets from what I've seen like the vanilla-mint and chicken/poultry flavor the best, and their human counterparts like the vanilla-mint for its "freshness". :P When it comes to other pet toothpastes, I often look at the ingredients and wonder... how exactly is this stuff keeping my pet's teeth clean? Most of it seems to be junky (aside from those preservatives to keep a pasty consistency). However, since the Verbac has enzymes, it actually breaks down compounds and reduces bacteria in the mouth, helping to prevent tartar in the future. When you buy it in the future, check Chewy too - sometimes they have sales. I recently ordered some for $6.99. Good luck! :)

Also, I tend to save money by buying baby/soft toothbrushes with a long handle at Walmart/Dollar General. They work just as well as the ones specifically for dogs, and they're so much cheaper too.

Yup...what is all that stuff in the other brands? I was tempted to buy the vanilla-mint 'cause I would like my own toothpaste to taste like a cookie but opted for chicken since a mint flavored paste made Wendy spew in the past...poor thing!

Eek! I paid $9 for it on Amazon...gonna check Chewy next time. Thanks for the tip.

My vet taught me more than 30 years ago to use bits of old panty hose wrapped around my finger as a toothbrush. Brilliant! Just rinse them off after use and let 'em dry...good to go for the next day. I don't wear hose any more so when the bits need replacing (they actually last forever, just about), I get the cheapo knee-high ones that come in the little plastic shells at the Dollar Store.

I second the vanilla mint! It's hard to get a hold of around here though.

Amazon has it but I'm in the U.S. :dunno

Edited by LaFlaca

Well, got the poultry flavored CET toothpaste. Tasted it...pretty bland which is good from Wendy's point of view, I guess. I'm fairly certain that no chickens were harmed in the production of this product. :yay Also got the Petzlife gel, salmon flavored. Tasted it...BLECH! Could not find the salmon anywhere. :sick Poor Wendy was not impressed, either. Bottom line is that her mouth stays healthy especially now that she's older when the thought of a dental makes me cringe. Thanks all for your helpful tips!

CET's best seller is poultry flavor. (Dogs' favorite flavor).

CET's beef flavor is a tarter control toothpaste. (More abrasive to tackle tarter periodically, but can be too abrasive to use daily throughout dog's life.)

CET's less-abrasive flavors (like poultry) are recommended for regular on-going use.

(Humans like vanilla mint, but it's not usually dogs' favorite.)

New dog toothbrushes can be run under hot water to soften bristles instantly. :)

• 10 months later...

I got the toothpaste everyone here is recommending. The toothpaste we had for our little dog was old, so I got rid of it. Neither dog likes the new stuff. :(. Percy didn't like the old stuff either (I think it was Petrodex, but I threw it out and I'm not sure) but Lulu did. I'll keep offering it, maybe put a dab on a treat, and see if they get to like it. It doesn't matter as much with Lulu, as she has long fur and I can just grab onto her chin hair and brush ;). But with Percy, I'd like to take a gentler approach and make it something he likes, since he's not used to it.