Influenza Vaccine

Dr Radcliffe, when speaking at Mountain Hounds last week, did recommend it. So far I have not gotten it for my dogs. They don't go anywhere, not even MH, so no contact with other dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dr Radcliffe, when speaking at Mountain Hounds last week, did recommend it. So far I have not gotten it for my dogs. They don't go anywhere, not even MH, so no contact with other dogs.

Me either- and one of my dogs is a working K9 that goes everywhere. She was in Atlanta last week; Chicago & WCU in NC in May; and IN & Moline IL in March/April to name just some of the places and we're going to MI next weekend. From what I've read the vaccine has not proven itself reliable enough over all the flu strains out there to be worth the assault on my dogs immune system so I won't be getting it.

Edited by racindog

Whether your dog is in contact with other dogs is a moot point. This virus can last up to a DAY on hard surfaces and things like clothing and shoes. The virus is airborne, when an infected dog sneezes, that spit can project twenty feet. Anyone who walks in that area can now bring the virus home to their own dog on their shoes. To me it is just not worth the risk to not immunize your dog. Our Standard Poodle puppy Molly had her first shot this week, and had no reaction other than throwing up breakfast in the car - and that might have just been the car. She goes back for the second shot in three weeks.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I do have a concern I'll address with my vet regarding Allen. He's nearly 11 and is much more an old dog that Potato at 10.

Anyone have other side effects to report in old dogs getting the vaccine?

Editing to add: I have an appointment booked for next week.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Two cases reported this week in NC. One in Raleigh and one very close to me in Morehead City. Both dogs had recently been at dog shows.

tiny hada siggy.png

My Sammy has had the vaccination. There are so many dogs in my area, I don't want to take a chance. He has had bad reactions to other vaccinations -- the rabies shot made him super lethargic for days and the DHLPPC gave him diarrhea -- but the CIV shot didn't seem to bother him.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

There are reports of dog flu in Florida.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/31/dog-flu-found-florida-first-time/357569001/

Has anyone had their greyhounds get the vaccine?

If so, any side effects?

Wendy received hers last Saturday with no adverse side effects. It seems that this outbreak started with show dogs.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Whatever you decide, be aware that full immunity levels are not achieved until about 3 weeks after the 2nd dose. Many grooming/boarding facilities are requiring the dogs to have the vaccine, but it's actually pointless if they aren't allowing enough time for the antibodies to do their job!