Splint/bandage Got Wet

Guest busymumsy

Guest busymumsy

Hello:

I am a new poster here and, true confession, I don't have a grey, I have a weimaraner. But I am looking for information from an active caring forum and this one seems to fit the bill more than any other. Plus Greys and Weims are all short-haired and speedy so likely to have some commonality in their issues. I hope it is okay for me to post here!

My weim jumped a ditch about six weeks ago and dislocated a metacarpal bone on the front paw, extremely swollen etc. He has been in a splint to the shoulder until two weeks ago at which time he went to a cotton batting and vet wrap and duct tape wrap to the shoulder with no splint, to give him some support as he began using the foot again.

He got it wet and I was not sure if that happened or not so I cut a piece out of the bandage to test it and it seemed dry, but no, it was wet inside. It's not too too bad, but it could sure use some improvement ASAP. He has several areas that are red and irritated, places on his toes and on his entire leg.

Do I try honey or other goopy things that I know promote healing or is it more important to let it just totally dry out for a few days? Athelete's foot powder etc?

Any suggestions/input/anecdotes would be appreciated.

You should take him back to your vet to check out and see what is needed. At minimum a wet bandage has to be replaced with a new one. Wet bandages can cause nasty skin infections.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest busymumsy

We just came from the vet this morning, the removed the bandage today, as was the plan, but it had definitely been wet for at least a day or two. They were not overly concerned about infection etc., so I think we caught it quickly, but I'd like to encourage healing ASAP.

Keeping it dry and keeping him from licking and opening sores will be the major issues.

FWIW, I don't know about Weims, but splinting rarely works long-term to keep a greyhound from dislocating and re-dislocating toes. If he will wear a supportive bootie like a Therapaw or hiking boot for play/work sessions that will probably help more to keep toes in place. You might also consult lure coursing forums/experts about how they wrap their dog's feet to prevent dislocation during events.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You can try high-strength (more than 15+) Manuka Honey wrapped onto an obvious wound, or if you can't get that then, something like Savlon Advanced Healing Gel (for humans and not cheap). AloeVera gel (direct from a cut leaf - but not yellowy outer skin area which is bad) can also help. But with all of these things you can't have the dog licking. So it would have to wear a cone or one of those blow-up collars. This will deal with a surface wound but do nothing much to prevent stress dislocations.

Don't worry--we like all dogs!

I think you just need to keep him from licking it at this point. That sort of sore will heal up quickly now that it's getting air.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest busymumsy

I am wrapping it in an Ace bandage and vet wrap for his walks, he is still favoring it quite a bit as it is "cast leg"- kinda weak, kinda puffy, kinda forgot to use it, etc. I don't presume it will continue to dislocate, he jumped a ditch in our off leash area and it was much wider than all the other ones so he jammed it into the side of the ditch. But I do know it takes a year for a ligament to truly heal so I want him to wear some sort of support, I will check out the therapaw.