Kira Just Ate Vet Wrap & A Gauze Pad...

Kira slipped on the front steps this morning and tore the skin off the back of her leg. I cleaned it and put a little Neosporin on a non-stick gauze pad and wrapped her lower leg with vet wrap.

She's had it on all morning, but decided to remove it and eat everything, gauze pad & vet wrap, while I ran out for 20 minutes.

My husband thinks she'll pass it - but I am concerned. I have to watch her "go" every morning and evening because she's still a bit neurotic about bathroom time - so I will know right away if she can't/won't go.

Should I take her to the vet, or wait? What are signs of intestinal blockage I should watch out for?

She's such a weirdo...

Guest goofydog2

If it hasn't been too long she ingested it you can make her throw up by giving 2-3 Tbsp of hydrogen peroxide. When you give it you need to already be outside since the result is almost instant. If it's been a while then I'd just let it pass through her system. I'm not a vet or vet tech, ​just what I would do if she were mine.

I wouldn't run to the vet. It sounds like it wasn't really that large of a band-aid. It probably would pass thru. Again, I am not a vet or tech; just what I would do. When you are up to greyhound #7, you don't run to the vet so fast. Also, today is a holiday...watch and see if she doesn't eat.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'd keep an eye on her. It's possible it'll pop out the way it went in sometime overnight. If she starts acting uncomfortable, won't eat, won't or can't poop, etc, then maybe a vet visit will be in order.

Also, I read the title and I was like "Kira...Olay...yeah, this sounds like something Olay would do".

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Also, I read the title and I was like "Kira...Olay...yeah, this sounds like something Olay would do".

Hah! She is a booger. I swear, we've had greys that like to tear stuff up - our first boy was really destructive - but we have never had one that eats what they destroy...

She's one of a kind, eh? :)

Also not a vet here, but if she seems fine and is eating, drinking, going potty like usual, I'd wait it out. Here, if we know what Marvin ate and roughly how large it was, we either give him hydrogen peroxide or put towels down and mix some icy clean, bc we know it will be puked up between 5 and 6am the following morning. Marvin doesn't destroy things, but a few times a year, he randomly destroys and then consumed something he shouldn't... Good luck! My guess is that within a few days, she'll vomit it up.

We have a girl who has so routinely eaten things like wash cloths or socks that we have to keep her muzzled with a poop guard when we're not supervising her. I saw a foot long squeak toy which we knew she would not try to swallow disappear down her throat.

Fortunately we see or realize that she had swallowed these things so we were able to get her to urp them up using hydrogen peroxide, which is a life saver (or maybe a $5,000 surgery vet bill saver). So much easier to have her throw up once than to see her go through gastro-intestinal surgery which is expensive and dangerous.

We use the hydrogen peroxide when we see her swallow something but you need to do it within the first hour or two. It can take ten minutes or so for the dog to react to the hp, though some dogs I am sure react pretty quickly.

Signs of an intestinal blockage could be vomiting, lethargy, refusal to eat or drink...