Particular Questions From A Newb

Guest bayhound

Welcome home to Zeus-Arlo! He already sounds terrific. And good for Gypsy cat telling him to back off.

Fireworks -- none of my hounds has been particularly stressed by them or thunderstorms. The couple who have showed a mild nervousness gradually got over it after a few summers of me acting like nothing unusual was happening. Jeter used to get up quietly and go lie down in a dark hallway -- the exact kind of safe place us humans are told to seek in dangerous weather. :) If you don't mind some suggestions -- On the evening of the 4th, take the dog out for a pee/poop before dark so he can be inside during the major action. Even if you have a fenced yard, it would be good to have him on leash (or even better -- a harness) in case someone starts the bangers early. Also take him out leashed after things have quieted down. The one thing you absolutely do not want is for him to get spooked and somehow escape into the scary night in an unfamiliar place. Inside, put the radio or tv on while it's still light to have some consistent noise help block out the noise. If he starts to get nervous, do not react. Don't give him extra petting or reassure him, or he'll think he has something to be nervous about. If he's very nervous, maybe talk with your vet about meds so you can have them on hand for the next storm. And enjoy your time with your new friend!

More suggestions in a fireworks safety thread in "Everything Else Greyhound."

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest bayhound

Welcome home to Zeus-Arlo! He already sounds terrific. And good for Gypsy cat telling him to back off.

Fireworks -- none of my hounds has been particularly stressed by them or thunderstorms. The couple who have showed a mild nervousness gradually got over it after a few summers of me acting like nothing unusual was happening. Jeter used to get up quietly and go lie down in a dark hallway -- the exact kind of safe place us humans are told to seek in dangerous weather. :) If you don't mind some suggestions -- On the evening of the 4th, take the dog out for a pee/poop before dark so he can be inside during the major action. Even if you have a fenced yard, it would be good to have him on leash (or even better -- a harness) in case someone starts the bangers early. Also take him out leashed after things have quieted down. The one thing you absolutely do not want is for him to get spooked and somehow escape into the scary night in an unfamiliar place. Inside, put the radio or tv on while it's still light to have some consistent noise help block out the noise. If he starts to get nervous, do not react. Don't give him extra petting or reassure him, or he'll think he has something to be nervous about. If he's very nervous, maybe talk with your vet about meds so you can have them on hand for the next storm. And enjoy your time with your new friend!

More suggestions in a fireworks safety thread in "Everything Else Greyhound."

Great advice, thank you so much! I think I've seen a few of the nice 4th images with the tips on them floating around, but I'm sure I'll be referencing them again today and tomorrow just to make sure I have all my i's dotted and t's crossed. :)

Finally I have a few pictures! I thought about posting a separate thread since this one was primarily questions before he came, and I feel like now different things might be discussed (also feel bad for people having to go through so many posts to find pics, lol), but I also don't want to clog up the forum. Also, apologies for the earlier confusion - it's Turnip his name is being changed too, oops! Definitely suits his personality and it's a fun name for a grey, I think. :D

uK9qwqU.jpg

He's incredibly affectionate already. I think he both wants love and isn't quite sure what to do with himself in a house yet.

1Pe1hLi.jpg

"Is this right? Can I sniff over here? Am I the good boy?"

w3WT2Tl.jpg

Trying to get some different angles for you all.

Q5MHrsd.jpg

He does absolutely amazing in the car!

7jXZiQ6.jpg

Went and settled in his crate on his own last night :)

n3LSi7t.jpg

And my favorite. He absolutely loves toys! I'll have to figure out a way to get videos on that aren't uploaded from youtube :rofl

Edited by bayhound

Guest bayhound

Way too handsome a dog to call Turnip...but I suppose you've already decided on that!

Good luck, and have fun!

Haha, he's a looker for sure! If I ever wanted a social life, now would be the time to dive in - I've never had so many people stop me for conversation before, even when I had other dogs, including a chocolate lab (crazily desired down here). I decided to go with it because he is... well, interesting, to say the least, and very quirky. So he needed a quirky name to fit. It brings a smile to everyone's faces, that's for sure. His call name, Zeus, was fine and all, but a little too wise and stoic for him. Thank you!

And thank you to everyone else as well!