Heart Worm Preventative Meds In A Senior

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on stopping heart worm meds in a senior dog.

I was considering not giving Wally any this coming season. Wally is 13 1/2 and has some health and mobility issues. He was doing was doing very poorly last fall but seemed to rally and had been doing pretty well for a while. Lately though he's been having more difficulties again, He's slowing down a lot :(

His rabies vaccine is good for another 2 years and I will not be doing any other vaccines from here out.

Around here the blood test, medicine and exam cost over $300 so I don't know if it's worth it at this point.

Thoughts?

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Only you and your vet can assess the risk to Wally from not having HW protection. I was under the impression that HW was not prevalent in the UK, but I don't know that for a fact. Is he outside much where he could come into contact with mosquitoes? Could you use a baby bug spray to keep them away from him altogether, negating the need for HW protection? Do you use a multispectrum HW med that also does other worms and ticks? Those might be harder on him than the HW med alone. Could you spread out how you give him meds to make it easier on him?

:wub: Wally! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Only you and your vet can assess the risk to Wally from not having HW protection. I was under the impression that HW was not prevalent in the UK, but I don't know that for a fact. Is he outside much where he could come into contact with mosquitoes? Could you use a baby bug spray to keep them away from him altogether, negating the need for HW protection? Do you use a multispectrum HW med that also does other worms and ticks? Those might be harder on him than the HW med alone. Could you spread out how you give him meds to make it easier on him?

:wub: Wally! :wub:

I live in Canada and we do have heartworm here. He has always been on advantage every summer along with all his other vaccines. I want to do what is best for him but I guess my feeling at this point is with an ailing body sadly I don't think he will be with me long enough for heart worm to cause him a problem on the remote chance he does gets it.

Currently he spends most of his day sleeping inside but he definitely enjoys napping outside too. I live in a city so I really only see mosquitoes in the evenings when he is inside.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Personally, I'd discontinue the meds. It's time. I think you're looking at very logically. It's OK to accept that things change, and at a certain point, some things aren't needed. Other things will be needed as he's aging. Your time, money, and energies will need to re-focus onto other things to make his twilight time great. Focus on that. It takes a priority shift.

I decided to stop Kasey's heartworm and additional vaccines at 12 after consulting with the vet. We were down to just walks in the neighbourhood and car rides because of LS and just general age catching up with him. IMO his risks were limited to get anything at that age just due to limited exposure. It's a good thought to have for sure so just try to weigh your options...and as mentioned above, taking into consideration time, money and focus towards other pressing doggie matters.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

we have the same scenario for blood tests, meds, vaccines etc.the vets and labs do not know what to charge. does your community have a low cost clinic where you can run a blood test and have a general exam? that will save bundles and then you will have $$ left over for maintenance with your regular vet. personally at that age i would skip the heart worm med and vaccines, keep your dog comfortable and let him enjoy old age.

I live in Canada and we do have heartworm here. He has always been on advantage every summer along with all his other vaccines. I want to do what is best for him but I guess my feeling at this point is with an ailing body sadly I don't think he will be with me long enough for heart worm to cause him a problem on the remote chance he does gets it.

Currently he spends most of his day sleeping inside but he definitely enjoys napping outside too. I live in a city so I really only see mosquitoes in the evenings when he is inside.

Duh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Senior moment! Apologies........

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nixon will be 12 in 3 weeks and I debated with myself if I should give him his Revolution, too.

We do not need to test annually if they have been on the medication, and I get the meds from Australia, so it'snot the cost.... just the fact that he is 12 and really slowing down. He is only outside in the evenings for a quick pee. I did treat him at the first of May, but may not do it again.

He only walks a very short distance along the shoulder of the road with the Nigel and Ruby once or twice a week and he is never in the grass, so I am not putting a Preventix collar on him this year. He does test positive for Lyme disease, but has never had any symptoms.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg