New Dog - Have I Made A Mistake?

Guest Claryella

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, twins!! :ghplaybow

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Could you please change which loop you are hanging the dog tags from on Pachi's collar? Tags should not hang from the same loop as where you attach the leash. They are better placed on one of the side loops, where the collar does not tighten.

It is all too easy for the tags on the collar to catch on something, and if you have attached them to the ring that tightens the collar, then it can be dangerous for your new girl.

It's so nice to hear how you are enjoying Pachi. She's beautiful!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest Claryella

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I'll take her collar off before bed and before I put her in her crate. I'm not sure what you mean by side loops. The D-ring is the only ring on the collar that doesn't touch her skin.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I'll take her collar off before bed and before I put her in her crate. I'm not sure what you mean by side loops. The D-ring is the only ring on the collar that doesn't touch her skin.

I've circled one of the rings she's talking about. There are two; either will work.

IMG_2104.jpg

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I have a little clip-on ring that lets me move the tags from one martingale to another, it's a good investment (since we all know you can't have just one collar! :P )

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

This is what we have. I've had three or four clips like this in constant use on collars for maybe 10 years without a failure or breakage. Lots of adoption groups have them in their stores for sale. They come in several colors too.

Rubit The Easy Dog Tag Curve Shape Switch Clip, Large, 1.3-Inch Diameter, Silver

https://smile.amazon.com/Rubit-Switch-1-3-Inch-Diameter-Silver/dp/B00934EX8E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1498408695&sr=8-10&keywords=dog+collar+tag+clip

31Q9XeWz5rL.jpg

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is what we have. I've had three or four clips like this in constant use on collars for maybe 10 years without a failure or breakage. Lots of adoption groups have them in their stores for sale. They come in several colors too.

Rubit The Easy Dog Tag Curve Shape Switch Clip, Large, 1.3-Inch Diameter, Silver

https://smile.amazon.com/Rubit-Switch-1-3-Inch-Diameter-Silver/dp/B00934EX8E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1498408695&sr=8-10&keywords=dog+collar+tag+clip

31Q9XeWz5rL.jpg

I use these, too. They're great.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Believe it or not, somehow Franny broke hers.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest DHamm

Oh I'm so thrilled I found/read this post!

I can read everything that we are going through with my new boy.

We are only 2 weeks in, but your progress and updates are priceless to me.

I remember waking up the first morning to London's whining, and thought 'Omg, what have we done!'

I have always had cats, and haven't owned a dog for 20yrs. Needless to say, shock took hold of me. Luckily, reading posts here has helped immensely.

Thank you for the updates, and to everyone else for the sage advice.

Guest Claryella

Happy to be of service! :)

It's been 7 weeks today since Pachi came home. She's been doing very well, and the cats are doing well too. Bugsy pretty much ignores her, except when he steals her bed. Patches still gives her the laser eyes and growls if she gets too close, but he doesn't race out the room when he hears her. Progress!

She's still a thief. :lol And the resource guarding has improved, but she'll still growl and air snap if she has something really excellent, like a half full milkshake. The other remaining quirk is that she hasn't tried to get on the furniture. Not on the couches or the bed. She's happy to snuggle with me if I sit on the floor or her bed, but she gets mad if you try to coax her on the bed or couch. I wonder if she's afraid that she won't be able to get back down. I've been passively looking into the bed stairs to see if that might help her. Or I might just build my own.

Overall, it's going really well! We just finished up a 6 week beginner training class and the trainer said she's got a lot of potential. She's a very special girl. :heart

Edited by Claryella

:thumbs-up

I wouldn't worry about the furniture thing...she's still so new to you and that may come with more time.

Our Ruby never ever got up onto anything for the first couple of years, then she would only gingerly climb up if the couch/bed was empty and immediately jump,off if anyone approached. Now ..after 6 years here...she will very occasionally share with a human.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg