New Dog - Have I Made A Mistake?

Guest Claryella

Give it time, my cats were split between "meh" and "aaaahhhDOG"!!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats take time. Aggadore stayed on top of the refrigerator for 3 days when we brought our first greyhound home. :)

Also, ALWAYS remember that outside cats ARE NOT the same as inside cats. DO NOT expect your greyhound to treat outside cats the same way as inside cats. Even if the dog and cat are best friends inside, do not do it!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

>>>Also, ALWAYS remember that outside cats ARE NOT the same as inside cats. DO NOT expect your greyhound to treat outside cats the same way as inside cats. Even if the dog and cat are best friends inside, do not do it!!>>>

Unfortunately I have expereince of one of mine chasing and catching an indoor cat when a couple of little visting dogs chased it down the hall. My dog kind of said 'now this is how you actually catch a cat' and caught it and shook it.

Miraculously it survived, probably because I was in the room and able to intervene instantly. The vet said the cat only suffered bruising but that usually the shaking breaks their neck. After that I elevated the cat's status into being 'my' cat and the dog was never permitted to eyeball it again. It lived to 17 without further incident.

Dogs are dogs - always, and show-off dogs in particular.

Don't force the issue with the cats. Remember: they were there first. They should not have to be subjected to a frightening experience. You're really rushing things--I get that, I was in a hurry too for everything to be like I imagined it, but you have to work with what you have!

One of my cats was 11 years old when I got him. He had recently been terrorized by a small dog, so when he arrived at my place he was pretty darned scared of my hound, who totally ignored him. I didn't force the matter at all. Within about a week, the cat was brave enough to enter the room the dog was in. Now, a few years later, its as if he's lived with dogs his whole life.

A newly adopted dog will do well with the longest walk you can possible stand. That will be the #1 most important thing with your alone training--"A tired dog is a happy dog." Or perhaps that should be calm dog?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

As others have said, I think you'll be fine. We've had 6 over the years - three were directly off the tracks (no in-home experience) - one was fostered and two were bounces (in homes but later returned). Honestly, the ones that were previously in homes sometimes had the same issues that the ones right off the track had, and if I rank them in order of "easiest to toughest" - I'd say 2 of them off the tracks rank as the easiest in our home. It doesn't matter.

That said, I remember getting our first greyhound. She was an ex-brood, just turned 8 years old and had been fostered. I was IN LOVE from the second I saw her photo online and I know that we moved way too fast. We were so enthusiastic and so wanted to make sure her life was fabulous - we made loads of mistakes and rushed her too much. Luckily, she was the easiest, sweetest and most amazing greyhound on the planet. We totally lucked out!

Regarding slippy floors and such - I don't think you need to resort to grips/booties/etc. just yet - give her some time to work it out and never force her. Our current boy hates hardwood floors and I actually thought about those toe grip things - but instead, I just put rubber-back area rugs down in specific areas. I put a runner going from the dog dishes to the back door, so he would feel secure while eating and running out/in. I also put a runner in the (tiled) hallway downstairs (leads to the back door) to make him feel secure running in & outside. That was really all he needed in the end. We already had a huge area rug in our living room and our stairs were already carpeted. We also added non-skid treads to our deck stairs. I think adding area rugs in crucial areas and adding them to your stairs (treads or a runner) would be ideal instead of putting something on her feet.

It's so difficult, but the best advice I can give is not to try and rush the process. It's amazing to see new greyhounds blossom and watch their personalities develop. Give her time and space, let her come to you when she's ready. Teach her gently but resist trying to do any real "training" at this point. And most importantly - take lots of photos!

>>>Also, ALWAYS remember that outside cats ARE NOT the same as inside cats. DO NOT expect your greyhound to treat outside cats the same way as inside cats. Even if the dog and cat are best friends inside, do not do it!!>>>

Unfortunately I have expereince of one of mine chasing and catching an indoor cat when a couple of little visting dogs chased it down the hall. My dog kind of said 'now this is how you actually catch a cat' and caught it and shook it.

Miraculously it survived, probably because I was in the room and able to intervene instantly. The vet said the cat only suffered bruising but that usually the shaking breaks their neck. After that I elevated the cat's status into being 'my' cat and the dog was never permitted to eyeball it again. It lived to 17 without further incident.

Dogs are dogs - always, and show-off dogs in particular.

I agree, it happens in the house also. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Claryella

Pupdate: Pachi is getting better with the stairs, and the cats are getting slightly more confident around her. One spent a few of seconds in the same room as her a couple of times without freaking out last night. :lol: They still don't want to get too close, but it's an improvement. The yard isn't fenced so she'll always have to be leashed out there. I did fish out an old long rug that's pretty grippy to help her with some of the scary spots on the floor. She seemed to appreciate that.

I think she'll do really well. She seems to love the home life.

Guest Claryella

Pupdate/Catdate(?): Pachi had an accident in the house today, but it was my fault for not taking her out long enough before I left for work. Mea culpa, sorry Pachi. Last night one of the cats (Busgy) was laying on the back of the couch in the same room as her, and they coexisted for an hour or so. If she got close, he'd hiss/growl at her, but no barking or yowling. Other cat (Patches) still wants nothing to do with her, but is willing to walk down the hall where he can see her without freaking out. Of course, Bugsy was walking through the room just now and she wanted to say hi a bit too enthusiastically for his liking, so he ran out.

We also went to the local dog park and she made lots of new friends, canine and human. Not a lot of running, but she sniffed everything she could find.

That is great news on the cats and adjustment she's making! Isn't it fun to watch them discover the world off the track?

You'll find she comes more out of her shell every day for weeks or months.

Thanks for posting. You reminded me of why I foster--because some adopters really are great homes, but just can't/don't want to deal with the off-track adjustment. Good for you for taking the leap and helping Pachi adjust!

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

You're doing such a great job!!! For the first few days we had our boy Steven, my husband had to sleep on the floor with him. We brought his bed to our room immediately when we got him home, but all he did at bed time was stand there, pacing around, crying. He also woke us up by 7 am everyday no matter what, if not 5 am. We eventually learned to play dead so he'd go back to sleep and wait. I think everything you're doing sounds great, and your new girl is lucky to have you! Keep it up!

Guest Claryella

Pupdate/Catdate: Pachi continues to astound me with how fast she learns. She marches up the stairs, and is loads more confident going down. The package of grippy socks is still unopened, and I'll probably send it back. She has had a couple of accidents in the house, so now she goes in her crate when no one is around to supervise her. She had to be in there for about 9 hours today and was none the worse for wear when I got home. Yay! I gave her a freeze-dried turkey neck and a beef windpipe to chew on, and she loves those. I think they may have given her slightly runny poo?

The cats are still slowing adjusting to her. Bugsy was sitting in the kitchen while I was packing my kitchen and she was following me around. He didn't make any noises at her and she totally ignored him. Patches still wants to maintain his distance, but at least he'll hide under a chair or table and watch her instead of puffing up and running away. Progress!

Still going well overall. I had a pipe dream that she could be a psychiatric service for me (I have a panic disorder), and it's looking like that could happen! I'll start contacting trainers next week and see what we can get going.

Both a turkey neck and a windpipe at once might have been too rich for her system. One or the other is OK. I wouldn't leave these with her in her crate if you won't be there to supervise - a piece could get stuck in her throat and she'd be in distress with no relief. Properly sized Kongs with frozen stuffing are great.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I try to avoid anything beef for Johnny, he gets terrible gas from it.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest Claryella

Yeah, I kept an eye on her with the neck and windpipe. I've been using the Kong with frozen peanut butter all week and she loves it. I'll go back to just using that and see if her poos improve at all.

I've been looking up Kong stuffing recipes. I've heard caned pumpkin and Greek yogurt can help with digestion, so I'll see about picking those up at the store.

Guest Claryella

Pachi has discovered counter surfing. :ohno So far not much has come of it, in that she hasn't really gotten anything to eat from it, but it's relentless. Anytime she passes by the kitchen and there's a hint of something on the counter, she wants to climb on it and grab the food. A sharp "PACHI!" or "NO!" will stop her but a minute, she's trying again. I know it'll take time and consistency, but it's very annoying right now.

I am starting with teaching her "stay" and "leave it". For only having a couple of sessions, she's picking it up quickly. And I'm looking into local trainers for classes and help. Also, the cats are doing better. She's sniffed at Bugsy from a few feet away and he didn't growl or hiss. Patches is still willing to look at her from afar, but doesn't like her to come too close.

I have not read through all the posts, but our first boy could not master our stairs until I put down carpet squares for him, and would not expect a dog to handle the hardwood stairs without them now.

So, I hope you can get her some traction on those stairs, and hopefully she'll become way-more confident in mastering those stairs! (always one of the biggest hurdles to bringing these big dogs home!)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

There are a few methods to stop the counter surfing, one I think can be traumatic for greys (empty cans on the counter and they fall over if touched). A bit better is putting sticky tape on the edge, might or might not work. What does work best is what you've been doing, catching her in the act with a firm no.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Claryella

Pupdate!

Pachi has been home for 4 weeks! I can hardly believe it. She's been doing extremely well, apart from a few hiccups here and there. We've been to a couple of training classes and she's been learning a lot. She loves her beds and peanut butter, and has figured out the schedule. We've gone to a couple of dog parks, and done the Bark for Life to raise money for cancer research. I'm very happy.

She does like to eat things that aren't food, though. In the past 24 hours, she's tried to eat:

1. A pen

2. A water bottle

3. A discarded flyer

4. Weird plastic thing

5. Charcoal

6. A large stick

7. The remote

She has lots of toys, both hard and plush, but still likes to steal stuff. It's why one of her nicknames is starting to become "You Little Klepto" :hehe