Pot Pourri - For Your Information

Just to inform you.

In one of the group I am in, a little girlhoundie (Bliss) ate some pot pourri. She had to be rushed to the vet and put on IV drips. It has been 2 days now and she is getting fed by syringes as she won't eat by herself. She is keeping it all down however. They are hopeful for her recovery.

They found out by inquiring to the poison centre that the essential oils contained in the pot pourri, mixed with the acidity of a dog stomach can produce a really poisonous mixture. The owners wanted the community to know, so I am passing the info along.

So, be careful for those of you with pot pourri in their home, it is one of those things that we don't think about straight away

18581663_1353643704689101_42934794429185

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

oh no :( :( praying she is ok! thanks for the information! it may save lives. :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

There is nothing a greyhound eats at the racetrack that will poison them. When we bring them into our homes we really need to "dog proof" their new home to protect them. They will eat toilet paper, ant traps, grass, poisonous plants, plastic, wash cloths, wood, anti-freeze, envelopes, anything they can try to eat. (We're not even mentioning chocolate, grapes or the things that we know can poison dogs.) I have had foster dogs eat the edge off a window sill. Needless to say, these items don't digest well and can kill from the damage they do inside.

Owners need to constantly look at things in their home and greyhound-proof it to make sure their greyhound can't get to things they shouldn't eat. Our female grey loves to eat anything she can get, so we muzzle her with a poop guard muzzle when we leave the home just to protect her. from herself. We don't like to do that but it keeps her safe.

Thanks for your insight Countrypaws. Indeed, there are many things that at first we don't THINK could be a danger to dogs but are! I muzzle for safety as well.

On a positive note, Bliss is now home and recovering well. The vets don't think there will be any permanent damage, but she will need some tests in about a month to check liver functions. She is now a bit underweight, but is eating well so she should get back to a healthy weight soon :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love