Sign in to follow this  
macoduck

Thundershirt, Classic Vs Polo Vs Sport

I see that Thundershirt now offers a Polo model and a Sport model with different fabrics.

Has anyone tried the Polo or Sport and if so, did the sizing really run the same as the Classic heather gray? I did an online chat and they suggested using an XL with the Polo.

Any difference in helping a storm-phobic dog?

I have a Large Classic one for Mazy, but now I also need one for new senior boy, Allen and am considering the Polo or Sport as it looks like they may be a bit cooler.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ah, I think the polo model is exclusively for those snooty AKC greyhounds :-)

Rob
Logan - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (Aug. 4, 2004 - Jan. 11, 2018)

I don't know about sizing differences, one would think the sizing would be consistent, but there was supposedly a study that found a snug t-shirt was as effective so I wouldn't think the material would affect the effectiveness. Just get the one you think will be cooler.

Actually very glad to know they're doing that as some clients are reticent for that reason, and I am for Violet for that reason as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't know about sizing differences, one would think the sizing would be consistent, but there was supposedly a study that found a snug t-shirt was as effective so I wouldn't think the material would affect the effectiveness. Just get the one you think will be cooler.

Actually very glad to know they're doing that as some clients are reticent for that reason, and I am for Violet for that reason as well.

Yes, my concern about finding one that was cooler is due to my new senior boy, Allen, having had 2 hyperthermia episodes reaching 109.1 with his previous owner. Once from a dental. The second a few hours later from a panic attack while still with the vet.

Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes, my concern about finding one that was cooler is due to my new senior boy, Allen, having had 2 hyperthermia episodes reaching 109.1 with his previous owner. Once from a dental. The second a few hours later from a panic attack while still with the vet.

I totally understand. Though I will also say that since those are likely stress induced, the thundershirt is unlikely to cause it alone and if it helps to reduce his anxiety may help prevent a future episode. Though if it made him warm enough to pant excessively that could be a problem.

If you ever want more info on the protocol we use now for Violet, in case you have to sedate him, let me know.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you ever want more info on the protocol we use now for Violet, in case you have to sedate him, let me know.

Jen, I tried to PM you but your box may be full. Yes, please send me into on Violet's protocol.

tiny hada siggy.png

Storm Defender...the lame diffuses the static electricity.

http://www.stormdefender.com/how_it_works.htm

I actually have one of the very early StormDefender capes. The other night it did not work as quickly or as well as the Thundershirt.

Years ago the StormDefender did save Oliver's life. It was a dark and stormy midnight when Oliver got out when hubby left a gate open. I woke up with a feeling that not all my dogs were in the house. We found him within 10 minutes. Some Navy guys freshly back from Iraq were ending there cookout due to the fast moving incoming storm. They had a bonfire in their backyard and had been grilling burgers. In the darkness they said they saw a huge dog and were leery of it until they saw he was wearing a red cape that had Super Doggy personalized on it. Oliver wanted a burger so they let him in their backyard.

I went back the next day with $100 of steak house gift cards as a thank you for saving him. Had they not I doubt Oliver would have lived through the night and the horrible storm that rolled in.

tiny hada siggy.png

i just got a pink thundershirt in L for my smaller girl ... it fits the same through the neck/chest, but is clearly shorter in length. Probably not a huge deal, but a bit disappointing (since its more expensive, you'd think I'd get a bit more fabric). however, my girl stopped walking round the house during the storm and just laid down for a nap as soon as she was wrapped up.

i just got a pink thundershirt in L for my smaller girl ... it fits the same through the neck/chest, but is clearly shorter in length. Probably not a huge deal, but a bit disappointing (since its more expensive, you'd think I'd get a bit more fabric). however, my girl stopped walking round the house during the storm and just laid down for a nap as soon as she was wrapped up.

Is the one you bought the material that's meant to keep them cooler?

So I just actually looked at the website. :P The polos have been around for a long time. We have both those and the regular gray one at our training center and I've used both. I guess the material of the polo is a bit thinner/less heavy, but its not a special material as far as I can tell. Feels like a t-shirt.

Their site gives very limited info, but the description on the sport seems to indicate it's simply meant to be more stylish (comes with a fancy trim, embroidering options, etc).

There is another brand I've seen where the material is more spandexy for lack of a better word. I don't know if it's designed to be cooling. I'll look into this when I get a sec.

They had a bonfire in their backyard and had been grilling burgers. In the darkness they said they saw a huge dog and were leery of it until they saw he was wearing a red cape that had Super Doggy personalized on it. Oliver wanted a burger so they let him in their backyard.

So the storm cape can help dogs in more ways than one. :) I'm glad Oliver's evening had a happy ending.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg