Sign in to follow this  
tiffwee

Dog Bike Trailer

Anyone use one to tow your dog behind a bicycle? If so, which brand and size? My dog is 75 lbs, medium size.

I only remember the dog and not the owner! Mouse sits in a wonderful bike trailer and goes on lots of travels that are videoed! I'm sure others might pipe in with more details, but perhaps you can search for "Mouse" and see what comes up!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We do! (See my profile pic). Marvin is a 76# beast, and he fits well in the Solvit HoundAbout II, largest size. He can lay down while riding, though he can't stretch out extensively. He loves it. We do put doggles on him to protect his eyes, as the bike can kick up dirt and debris, even on paved paths. We had to add our own flag on the trailer, as it did not come with anything other than reflectors.

http://www.solvitproducts.com/large-houndabout-ii-bicycle-trailer-aluminum

We were inspired by Mouse, the Australian greyhound who rides everywhere in a dog bike trailer.

We do! (See my profile pic). Marvin is a 76# beast, and he fits well in the Solvit HoundAbout II, largest size. He can lay down while riding, though he can't stretch out extensively. He loves it. We do put doggles on him to protect his eyes, as the bike can kick up dirt and debris, even on paved paths. We had to add our own flag on the trailer, as it did not come with anything other than reflectors.

http://www.solvitproducts.com/large-houndabout-ii-bicycle-trailer-aluminum

We were inspired by Mouse, the Australian greyhound who rides everywhere in a dog bike trailer.

Do the doggles bother him? I wonder if my dog would keep them on....thanks for all the info!

Thanks guys! I'm checking out the links....so cute.

Super cute, and a good way to take a houndie on an outing. Great video of Mouse. I think I somehow missed seeing that when it was posted originally.

My dogs prefer to run next to the bike. I can't even imagine what they'd think of having to sit in a trailer....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Prince(ss) Marvin isn't a huge fan of his doggles, but he will wear them in the trailer because he can look around and see through dust/not hurt his eyes. We did have to 'practice' in the house a few times, then out in the big empty parking lot before hitting the bike trails. When younger, Marv would have liked to run along side, but he's slowing down with age and still likes to join us on adventures from time to time.

The doggles I have don't stick to the streamlined noggin of a greyhound.

Proudly owned by:

Prince(ss) Marvin isn't a huge fan of his doggles, but he will wear them in the trailer because he can look around and see through dust/not hurt his eyes. We did have to 'practice' in the house a few times, then out in the big empty parking lot before hitting the bike trails. When younger, Marv would have liked to run along side, but he's slowing down with age and still likes to join us on adventures from time to time.

Run along side as in attached to the bike with metal arm and leash? That makes me nervous...what are the potential hazards of that if any? Thanks!

Run along side as in attached to the bike with metal arm and leash? That makes me nervous...what are the potential hazards of that if any? Thanks!

If I'm biking in town, then yes, attached to the bike with a bike attachment. If out on the trails then my dogs go off leash.

I have a Cycleash, though there are several different bike attachments out there. It attaches to the seat post and the arm angles backward a little bit which keeps the dog running just behind the peddles so they don't get in the way, but you can still see them. The leash portion has a bit of elasticity to it. Personally I think the only concern is if an out of control off leash dog were to full out attach your dog, which is probably fairly unlikely given you're moving at a bike's pace, and a lot of dogs are kind of afraid of bikes and would probably think twice anyway. I think that likelihood is about the same as a dog in a trailer honestly, only benefit of the trailer is that maybe your dog has some protection... but I wouldn't count on my dogs staying IN the trailer if they were being attacked.

I haven't encountered any significant prey while biking with a dog. I suppose if they took off sideways after something you'd get a pretty good jolt on the bike, but it's actually quite stable so not sure you'd really get pulled over. The other option is to get a bike-cross style attachment which attaches the dog out in front of the bike. That gives better control over the bike to prevent sideways tipping, but you have to train the dog to run out front with a taut line and "pull" the bike. I honestly only recommend that on trails or with dogs that have been trained to pass people and other dogs and take directionals.

I have yet to try biking with both dogs attached to the bike... need to get a second leash attachment for the other side of the bike for Kenna this year.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have a Cycleash,

I have yet to try biking with both dogs attached to the bike... need to get a second leash attachment for the other side of the bike for Kenna this year.

Wow - we need pics!

Proudly owned by:

If I'm biking in town, then yes, attached to the bike with a bike attachment. If out on the trails then my dogs go off leash.

I have a Cycleash, though there are several different bike attachments out there. It attaches to the seat post and the arm angles backward a little bit which keeps the dog running just behind the peddles so they don't get in the way, but you can still see them. The leash portion has a bit of elasticity to it. Personally I think the only concern is if an out of control off leash dog were to full out attach your dog, which is probably fairly unlikely given you're moving at a bike's pace, and a lot of dogs are kind of afraid of bikes and would probably think twice anyway. I think that likelihood is about the same as a dog in a trailer honestly, only benefit of the trailer is that maybe your dog has some protection... but I wouldn't count on my dogs staying IN the trailer if they were being attacked.

I haven't encountered any significant prey while biking with a dog. I suppose if they took off sideways after something you'd get a pretty good jolt on the bike, but it's actually quite stable so not sure you'd really get pulled over. The other option is to get a bike-cross style attachment which attaches the dog out in front of the bike. That gives better control over the bike to prevent sideways tipping, but you have to train the dog to run out front with a taut line and "pull" the bike. I honestly only recommend that on trails or with dogs that have been trained to pass people and other dogs and take directionals.

Thanks so much for the info....I'm trying to make a decision. Why is this so hard? ha

Thanks so much for the info....I'm trying to make a decision. Why is this so hard? ha

Well, I think it ultimately depends on how your dog feels about sustained exercise and how long you intend to bike for. I really only bike as a way to exercise with my dogs, so my bike outings are not extensive beyond what my dogs are capable of doing. If you are more thinking you want to go biking "oh yeah and it would be nice to take the dog" then you may not want to have to modify your distance/speed for a dog who may get tired or be reluctant in which case a trailer probably makes more sense. Even my dogs are not as fond of keeping pace with the bike on the paved paths as they are of going off leash. They actually have to do more work off leash because I bike faster, we have terrain to deal with, and they're usually running back and forth at higher speeds... but it is more in line with the kind of exercise they like, which is short sprints... just over and over and over and over! Jogging beside the bike they find a bit boring and tedious I think.

Like us on Facebook!

What is the best way to get him to actually go inside the trailer? I put some treats in it and he will stick his head in but won't fully enter the cabin. I hope I didn't just make an expensive mistake.

Ray is taller than the rear zipper door so he would have to duck and go underneath. I could pick him up and put him inside the top opening but I think that would scare him.

Edited by tiffwee

Well like anything new, he's gotta get used to it. High value treats (cut up hotdog for example) to train the entry. When he puts a paw on it, it's the greatest thing in the world....2 paws, wow have a party!! Positive reinforcement is key. I'd certainly let him figure it out on his own power provided he's interested and not terrified of it. Hard to correct if something scary happens, not impossible but way easier if he's not forced to go in too early. Can you open up the other end at all for him to see and maybe walk through? When I was doing prelim agility with Ryder he wanted nothing to do with a tube, so we practiced at home with blankets draped over chairs so he got used to the feeling on his back as he went through the blanket tunnel. Try that?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

The back opening is too small for him to walk through and he has to duck to get in the front door of the cabin. The trailer is the largest size but he's just so tall. I'll keep trying.

Leaving it open anyway though might show him that its an inviting space. :) How about putting his fave blankie or bedding in there too? Does he do Kongs?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

We did have to set ours up in the living room and block the wheels (and the front) to let Marvin get used to the idea of the trailer, since it is smaller than he is tall. We used treats to get him started putting his paws up on it, but the first few weeks, we did have to lift him into it (he could get out through the back on his own. Make sure the top and all other flaps are wide open so it doesn't feel cramped. We also keep a cushy crate pad in the bottom. Once we got him in and the flaps zipped (he does wear a harness, but we no longer clip him in so that he can lay down), and as soon as my husband started pedaling him around the empty parking lot, Marvin quickly realized that this was probably the greatest thing ever. Keep any questions coming - we went through the same thing when my husband unexpectedly bought me the trailer as a gift. In looking at these photos again, I remembered that we also put some pillows in the bottom, almost like a foam roller, which allowed Marvin to sit comfortably while sticking his head out the top. He does also eventually lay down facing forward. Marvin's a bigger hound, broad and 76#.

20140713_111839_zps1mye4ze7.jpg

20140713_111536_zpsz4hjlhbo.jpg

20140713_111951_zpsugr7gahv.jpg

Thanks a ton. I've been considering whether or not I may have to return it. He will stick his head in there to grab a treat, but has yet to step in it fully. I thought about picking him up and putting him in it but I don't want to scare him. Ray weighs 75 pounds so he's not a small guy either... however, I'm very encouraged by seeing Marvin in it. Thanks again! That looks like so much fun

Cool (need doggles emoticon)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

Thanks a ton. I've been considering whether or not I may have to return it. He will stick his head in there to grab a treat, but has yet to step in it fully. I thought about picking him up and putting him in it but I don't want to scare him. Ray weighs 75 pounds so he's not a small guy either... however, I'm very encouraged by seeing Marvin in it. Thanks again! That looks like so much fun

Because of the stability, even with the wheels blocked and the front propped, I think you will need to lift him in at least a few times. You won't scare Ray. Since it sounds like he's into treats, just keep feeding him treats, and he'll learn very quickly that his bike cart is a great place!