Sign in to follow this  
jetcitywoman

My Best Customer At Gig: A Galga!

I had my dog puzzle toys spread out on a table at GiG so that people could play with them and even demo them with their own dogs. Because there was so much going on in terms of distractions and noise, most of the dogs were too distracted to play much, although a few were interested enough that their "parents" bought them a puzzle. My best customer hands down, is a funny story... a galgo behaving as only galgos can:

A couple came up to my dog table and were looking at the puzzles. As they started to ask me about them, I noticed the little black and white galga face nosing the edges of the games on the table. It was head-high to her, so she couldn't quite reach, but she was very curious as to what was up there. Because of her intense curiosity, I immediately grabbed the treat bag and walked around to the front of the table, set my most challenging puzzle on the floor and started to demo to the couple how to start easy and then work up to the higher difficulties. I put a treat at a time into one of the compartments and slid the cover closed, did that a few times while coaching the dog until she figured it out on her own. Then I told the couple "she's not going to figure this out right away, but you would make it more difficult by doing this", put a treat in the compartment, slid the cover over it and set the orange peg down to lock the cover. As I started to explain to them that the dog can't simply knock the lock piece out but has to bite it and pick it up, this little smarty pants did just that! I was like, "... OH, she DID IT!" They bought the puzzle. :colgate

I really LOVE watching dogs think and solve problems. I wish I had this on video because the little galga was brilliant and she completely surprised me. :wub:

Sharon, Capri, Loki, Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Sit. Stay Safe! by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I love this story! Wonder who the little sweetie was---did you get her name? I don't think my little galgas are quite that brilliant, but you never know!

Yep, I wish you had gotten pictures.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina, Kiva and Laila, and kitty Simon
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, and kitties Lily and Sam
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

sweet story

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Sweet. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

ahaha

I bought one of your cat puzzles (the one that looks like a swing set) - Merlin has figured out how to get the treats out of the pegs at the bottom, but is stymied so far about how to dump them out of the blue tubes up top... he'll get it eventually - cats certainly don't have the problem-solving skills of galgos!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Hmm, a fun thing about those puzzles is sometimes we humans are challenged with figuring out ways to break the game down into baby steps so the pet can learn how to solve it. Case in point.... just pondering how to help your kitty figure out the tubes... if he likes spaghetti, maybe you can stick a short strand in one of the tubes with the end hanging out so that when he pulls on it the tube flips over? Or use a piece of yarn instead of spaghetti?

Cats aren't usually as food-motivated as dogs so the harder puzzles are a real challenge. We bought the Fun Board (the one with the clear "fishbowls" on one end) for our kitty and found a two-pronged problem: 1) Sweetie Pie isn't very food motivated, 2) our greyhounds ARE! I'm going to try the game with her next time using dry beans instead of kibble. I think the rattly/skittery nature of the beans will be fun for her, but not as attractive to the dogs. LOL!

Sharon, Capri, Loki, Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Sit. Stay Safe! by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow