Sign in to follow this  
XTRAWLD

Greyhound Weight/size Range

I'm curious to know what is the "smallest" greyhound anyone on GT has had (by weight/size). I'd guess it would be a very small female? I'm interested to know if small females are easy or hard to come by, or for that matter do males come in small packages too? I know how big some males can get, but I'm unfamiliar with how small they can be.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sunita is just 51 lbs. She always seem to be the smallest at gatherings. I know there are smaller Greys around, but she's been my smallest. My male, Soleil, is the smallest male I've encountered. Sol is about 62 lbs or a smidgen less.

ETA: I'm a big dog person & was not looking for small Greys. Su & Sol were foster failures. Must say though, when we all try to cram into my little 12 foot camper, I'm glad I didn't end up with a giant male. :lol

Edited by kudzu

Well my friends adopted a now deceased little girl, she was 52 pounds. Here she is beside my 80 pounds male!

12802815_10154698277944478_8506890309222

My "small" male is 68-70. 27 inches tall while Jack is 31 inches tall, 80 pounds. I have seen even smaller males in the UK :), Charlie is actually bigger than his dad.

15267734_10155589394234478_5530135293327

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Funny timing -- we asked our group to find us confident small hounds to foster (possibly with intent) right now!

The track near us currently has several 52-55 lb girls that are probably going to be retired soon.

Our boy Dasher is the smallest boy I've seen. He raced at 65 lbs but is really compact at about 25" (he almost looks like a normal dog rather than a greyhound).

Dasher paws the mirror

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

I currently have two girls that are in the low 50s. Maggie had cold laser and had to wear little dog goggles - her head is TINY. Zoe was only 56 pounds, but very very petite. My hand width matched her back width at her tuck. But, she was the same height as my 65 pound male.

My largest male has been 68 pounds. The other three were less than 65.

I don't think I have ever really had a large greyhound.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest DarkHorse

Cole's quite small for a male, though he's still decently tall. Just very compact.

He's ~28cm at the shoulders, but I just weighed him in at just under 63 pounds (62.8). Last time we were at the vet, he was 63.5lbs, and that was last year. His annual is next Tuesday so I'll see what his official weight comes in at there.

He's not much bigger than Miss Araley was, and she hovered around 58-60lbs, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is around 60-62 on the vet's scale.

Here's a photo of him and Dexter (~68lbs):

13346590_418934121610437_148032369154611

And with all three of them, KB at ~72lbs:

5XtAl5N.jpg

zRmBO6a.jpg

In the last photo, you can see how Cole (front) is a little shorter than Dexter (middle) and much shorter than KB (back).

So, what I'm gathering - no males under the 60 lbs mark, and according to the above - females average about 54lbs. Love the info!

Proudly owned by:

Our smallest has been Celeste (brindle), who is in the 60 lbs. range. Our largest was Bonny (fawn) who was close to 80 lbs. We've had 4 greyhound girls in all shapes and sizes.

IMG_1116.jpg

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna

The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)

Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Kenna is my smallest though not fully grown yet. She is currently about 25.5" at the shoulder and 24.5 kg (54.9 lbs). At 13.5 months she is probably done growing, but she will probably put on about 2 kg by the time she's 2.5-3 yrs old and finishes maturing. Kili is a smidge bigger at a hair over 26" and a mature weight of 27 kg (59.4 lbs). Summit is about 31" at the shoulder, and in his prime weighed in at 32 kg (70 lbs).

The AKC greyhound standard calls for bitches to be 60-65 lbs and dogs 65-70 lbs, though there is no height/length listed in the standard. That said, if you read further into the information on the Greyhound Club of America's page it suggests that these sizes are probably more typical historically, with modern dogs being a bit bigger: "The weights stated in the AKC standard most closely fit the coursing dogs of the past two thousand years. Most modern Greyhounds are somewhat larger. The heights listed in the English standard are more representative of today’s show Greyhounds. Whether by height or weight, a Greyhound should not be so massive as to inhibit maximum functionality when coursing." Of course, we tend to see a larger variation in racers since they are bred with a greater emphasis on performance ability than set anatomic values. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Beamish (male) is 55lbs from irish racing greyhound stock. He's smaller than most females we know (Mojito at 65lbs had over an inch in back height on him).

There's a female at GRACE in Michigan right now who is listed at 46lbs.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I adopted Jack as a puppy, he is now five and a half years old and tips the scales at about 51 pounds. He is very petite and it was/is a struggle to keep weight on him, he is very active and has never been the best eater. He could stand a few more pounds but is healthy. I have always loved big males but a small hound works just as well. He is by far the smallest grey or galgo I have ever had.

My little Bwat, Opal, was 50. I was "this close" to adopting a 48 pounder from Make Peace with Animals when they suddenly pulled my application because I had a dog door.

Carmen was 48 pounds - here's a photo of her next to a 95 pound male.

DSCF2454.JPG

WOW!

My sentiments exactly! I am always amused to see how small 62 lb Sweep suddenly looks standing next to the 75-90 lb boys, but that's an incredible difference.

49001591033_2aaeeba8f4_o.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

For females, I think it's common to find them in the 50-55 lb range, but I've not seen many (any?) males under 60 lbs.

And then there's my giant mutant female who's 33 inches tall and weighs 90 lbs. :rolleyes: She's a good six inches taller than my "normal" size dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

Placed Tiny Tim, He never raced and he was 52 pounds at 15 months old. However, when I took him to get him fixed his neuter turned into a spay - He was a hermaphrodite - had the boy parts outside but was a girl inside...so not sure that counts.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Placed Tiny Tim, He never raced and he was 52 pounds at 15 months old. However, when I took him to get him fixed his neuter turned into a spay - He was a hermaphrodite - had the boy parts outside but was a girl inside...so not sure that counts.

Does that make him Tiny Timberly? Interesting!

Proudly owned by:

IMG_0261_zpsrmj6u9bn.jpg

Our Tosca will be 11 in June and recently weighed in at 49 lb at a vet clinic - not our normal vet, so a different scale(she's normally around 52lb at our vet). She is 26 inches at her shoulders.

Here she is just this week with our new Galgo Oasis. She is about the same size as he is and he's a small Galgo (for us anyway). She's wearing the pink muzzle.

ETA we got her as an Oops puppy she's been with us over 10 years.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael, Greyhound: Ambi, plus Lucas, Baltasar, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo and Salvo the Galgos.
Remembering houndie Bridge Angels Tosca, Jamey, Master, Jules, Marco and Diego.

The smallest I knew was about 23" and 42lbs. She was a major runt and had some medical concerns.

My girls are 24"-25" and 49lbs and 52lbs (in coursing weight, both weigh less when not in prime condition). The largest Greyhound I personally know raced at 98lbs and is about the same height as a friend's female Wolfhound. He towers over my 30" dog. I don't have any pictures on my computer but seeing them next to each other is pretty entertaining.

My males that passed were 30" and 74lbs racing weight (70 lbs as a senior with LS and osteo) and 29" and raced at 67 lbs (which he maintained until I lost him suddenly due to osteo).