Struggling To Bond...

Guest Zoopy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LazyBlaze

:thumbs-up

Great. He'll sneak his way into your heart, slowly but surely. Sounds like he already is. Really pleased for both of you.

Blaze has been up at 6 on the dot these days too, think it's just the bright mornings. Hopefully when the nights start to lengthen you might get a little longer (but don't hold your breath!).

I did not read through all the posts, but just thought I'd let you know you are not alone.

Our first grey we loved and bonded with immediately.

When we brought in our 2nd, I remember a month into it, confessing to my husband that I just didn't love her.

Our first guy "needed" us, and we all knew it, while our new girl kinda couldn't have cared less.... we certainly grew to love her as she became part if the pack, and after Kingsley died and Ruby was our only dog, we got to know her more.

So-- you are not alone.

And now our third grey, Chase, is a love-bug and the most expressive hound we have had, so he kinds "makes" you love him because he is so much more one to seek affection!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

We've had our boy Steve for a year and a half and we're still constantly learning about him! In the beginning my husband was so worried because the best way to describe Steve was "aloof." He didn't seem to care for either of us at all. The more I was home with him though the more he'd follow me around. We tried showing him toys, sleeping on the floor, giving him apples, etc. to bond with him. Now he's all over us, he wants to sleep with us or cuddle on the couch all the time. He's now a very very happy boy who hops around and spins in circles and actually comes over to you because he wants to be pet on the head or belly or chin.

As for the 6 am wake up call. Oh lord. They are a creature of habit!!!! I read somewhere on here a year ago that someone had the same problem and their solution was literally to play dead. Friday came around and we got in bed, I told my husband, TOMORROW WE PLAY DEAD! 6 am showed up and the whining and pacing began. We laid there until he completely stopped crying and laid back down. We waited another 15 minutes and then said ok lets get up, and we just did that over and over. Now Steve will sleep in as long as we do, but if he hears us stirring he's up.

Give it time, he'll come around.

Edited by MSTmom

Guest Zoopy

Thank you for all the comments. It's definitely a learning curve all the time.

Slight set back today, we had a urine accident whilst I was at work today, first time and not sure why. He had a long walk before I left and I was gone 6 hrs which is an hour longer than normal but I was surprised this happened, more concerned that it was a separation/stress pee rather than a need to go. He has run of downstairs as he was barking a lot being confined to the kitchen.

Hoping it's a one off but hasn't happened before in over 2 months 😞

Why confine him at all?

My first greyhound could NOT deal with any confinement.

I was going to say if you're afraid of the dog, please return him. But it sounds like things are going better? Pee happens. Get over it! I don't mean to sound flippant about it, my first boy peed in the house regularly for seven years. Believe me, I know it isn't any fun to come home to. But give him a break. Two perfect months?? One pee? Really, that isn't a set back in my book!

I also wanted to say about the prior owner considering euthanasia. I think some people are so full of shame that they have made a decision to abandon a pet they promised to take care of that they cannot bring themselves to return the dog like they agreed to. Yeah, there are people like that. Don't assume the dog bears ANY fault in that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Zoopy

Why confine him at all?

My first greyhound could NOT deal with any confinement.

I was going to say if you're afraid of the dog, please return him. But it sounds like things are going better? Pee happens. Get over it! I don't mean to sound flippant about it, my first boy peed in the house regularly for seven years. Believe me, I know it isn't any fun to come home to. But give him a break. Two perfect months?? One pee? Really, that isn't a set back in my book!

I also wanted to say about the prior owner considering euthanasia. I think some people are so full of shame that they have made a decision to abandon a pet they promised to take care of that they cannot bring themselves to return the dog like they agreed to. Yeah, there are people like that. Don't assume the dog bears ANY fault in that.

Guest Zoopy

He's not confined as such, just doesn't go upstairs and I don't intend to change that as some people struggle with my stairs let alone an elderly dog (which he isn't yet). One pee is not the end of the world but there's no way I'd have a dog peeing regularly in the house for 7 years! That's not normal or something you should have to deal with unless they are either poorly or very old, fair play to you for accepting that, you are a better person than me.

I was wary of him in the beginning, not afraid. That isn't the case now and I don't believe he was going to be euthanized for any behaviour type issue.

Thank for your comment 😊

Zoopy - some dogs are super attuned to time. If you were gone longer than normal, he was probably just pushed past his normal potty time and that's why he went. He was also probably slightly anxious, too. I wouldn't stress about it too much. You can always get a webcam if you're really concerned. Our dogs are pretty boring, except that time we caught Crow *eating* a remote control and I was able to send over the dog walker to retrieve it from him. :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 1 month later...
Guest Zoopy

Just wanted to post a quick update as I check in regularly for info etc and see there's some people with new dogs or just about to get theirs home.

Its been over 3 month's now since bringing Zoopy home and me seriously questioning whether I'd made a huge mistake and I guess others may feel that way initially.

We are so in love now 💕 he is no longer a stranger in my house, we cuddle regularly and he shows not the slightest bit of aggression at all. We are all chilled around him and he is definitely part of the family now.

Stick with it even if you have doubts in the beginning. Couldn't imagine him not being around now 😊

Just wanted to post a quick update as I check in regularly for info etc and see there's some people with new dogs or just about to get theirs home.

Its been over 3 month's now since bringing Zoopy home and me seriously questioning whether I'd made a huge mistake and I guess others may feel that way initially.

We are so in love now he is no longer a stranger in my house, we cuddle regularly and he shows not the slightest bit of aggression at all. We are all chilled around him and he is definitely part of the family now.

Stick with it even if you have doubts in the beginning. Couldn't imagine him not being around now

This is so great to hear. Very encouraging I'm sure to others as well. Way to go!

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

:thumbs-up

Just imagine how he'll be in another couple of months :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest xengab

So glad things have taken a turn for the better. Just takes time to form that bond and them to start trusting us.

I had an instant connection with my grey, but my husband didn't. It took a few months for them to work out their feelings and now they are great together BUT he is still my boy, my dog. He does miss my husband and loves going for walks with him too.

We are so in love now 💕 he is no longer a stranger in my house, we cuddle regularly and he shows not the slightest bit of aggression at all. We are all chilled around him and he is definitely part of the family now.

Stick with it even if you have doubts in the beginning. Couldn't imagine him not being around now 😊

Yay!!! We've had our 2 year old "Leica" for almost 4 months now, and I have to say that sometime around the 3 month mark I began to see a change in his relationship with us. Now we see this soft look in his eyes of adoration, where as before he seemed indifferent. I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but it's the best description I can give. There were times I was questioning if I made the right choice, but now I KNOW I did.

It sounds like you got a keeper in Zoopy!