Paddy Mayhem (U C M E Ringneck) 8/03/09 – 4/18/17

FiveRoooooers

This is likely to be the most chaotic, unorganized, disordered eulogy I have ever written, no doubt due to the mayhem that is scattered throughout. After a sudden and brief illness, our beautiful Paddy ALVIN! Mayhem was given his magnificent wings and has joined my 10 campers at the Bridge. While we have some thoughts as to what, the autopsy results will take some time before we can be sure. (update, post #79) Our camp is being refilled with air, as Paddy did surely suck it out of any room he entered, but I am counting on mayhem dust to remain in every corner.

After having lost so many senior campers, including two on the same night, friends far and wide planted the seed: “Get a young dog” they said, “it will be great!” The grooming had started earlier and a bright, strikingly handsome dog with THE most beautiful eyes appeared on the radar. “He’s incredibly smart, too smart, and a bit of a handful but you can do it!” What was I thinking? :crazy Four years ago April 25, a friend and I met the hauler from St. Louis that carried “Ringo”, collateral hound Aiden, and 38 LWFs. It was a glorious weather day, just as yesterday was, and I can still see the hauler looming bold and large, coming up out of the horizon, and remembering the tears streaming down my face as I cried “Here they come!” http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/297643-the-boys-are-here-cinco-aiden/?hl=cinco Little did I know how the next four years would be shaped and ever change me. Once you live with mayhem, all bets are off. It would be unlike anything I had ever experienced.

He didn’t like the name I had planned to givel him - “Cinco” - so we called a family meeting and talked it out. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/298008-very-important-announcement-from-cinco/?hl=cinco Mostly he did all the talking, as I was quickly learning that it was all about him. None of the names I suggested were acceptable until we came to the name in the middle of the options and he brightened and was in full agreement that he should then and forever be known as Paddy! Last name Mayhem! And, his middle name ALVIN! he earned almost immediately after that. Paddy ALVIN! Mayhem. That’s all you really needed to know to know Paddy. ‘Nuff said. It was all about him.

Paddy was such a contradiction as everything had to be all about Paddy and yet he wanted to be friends with everyone and couldn’t understand why they might not like him. He could be a real killjoy, a PIA in the grandest sense of the word, and he lived UpMyButt. But his heart was far too big for his body - he had a wonderful spirit and so much try, and he *wanted* to be good and do right. I told him quite often how sorry I was that he had ended up with us, a multi-hound camp, when he would have loved being an only. Because, you know, it was all about him.

Paddy had two short months to fall in love with Seamie :heart:brokenheart and how he loved my old man. He met his *real brother* Buster who lives nearby! http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316370-temporarily-six-rooooooers/?hl=%2Bpaddy+%2Bmayhem He must have bonded with Aiden during the haul and they were the best of friends here. The Young’uns, my boys! http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/313610-paddy-mayhem-concerned-for-aiden/?hl=%2Bpaddy+%2Bmayhem Paddy often used Aiden as a headrest, yoga mat, or some sort of support.

Aint Rite 1

Aiden is still the first one in the door after turnout, and Paddy would be right on his heels, talking all the way. He has his own brand of whiskey! http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/312536-its-st-paddys-day/?hl=whiskey&do=findComment&comment=5811639 "That dog ain’t rite” is a phrase we used a LOT with Paddy and truly, he was just KNOT rite :lol:inloveHe had his own, personalized, um, “training” spoon. He danced with himself and scratched his own back. He stole my socks, he encouraged Aiden 1-5 (sweet Aiden!) to think about getting into trouble, he collected Easter eggs and then pooped on a friend’s hearth. He shredded grocery bags, duct tape, and newspape :riphairhttp://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/300703-knot-cute-nor-funny-total-mayhem/?hl=naming&do=findComment&comment=5559464 He destroyed seven different colored muzzles until we discovered that indeed, turquoise was his color. That required an entire new matching wardrobe, sigh…

Paddy went to school and earned his Obedience certificate. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/314600-paddy-mayhem-may-need-a-new-name/?hl=%2Bpaddy+%2Bmayhem Thank you to Martha for being the best dog trainer on the planet, and seeing the intelligence and kindness in a dog named Paddy Mayhem and knowing how to help him succeed. My next goal for Paddy was to earn his CGC and I regret that I didn’t focus enough to help him achieve that. Entirely my fail, not his. He had just started Noseworks with Lorrie and she too paved the way for Paddy to succeed at a new and exciting occupation. He loved Noseworks and he was good at it! On Tuesday, we should have been in class, instead we were saying our goodbyes. Tuesdays are simply the worst day of the week.

Thank you, Kelly, for the Mayhem. You believed in us both and were always there to prop me up whenever the air in the room got too thin. I am forever grateful to you. There will never be another Paddy ALVIN! Mayhem. You are right, he burned too bright to stay too long.

Paddy Mayhem. Your whiskey last night burned my throat and the tears served as a chaser. Hmmm, tears the day you arrived and the day you left. As you left the last thing you heard me say, again, was that I didn’t always like you but I DID, always, love you. Godspeed Paddy Mayhem :kiss2

Paddy Mayhem 2

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooo. :cry1 Jan, I'm so sorry and shocked to see Paddy's name here. We all loved that boy. Sending hugs across the miles to you and all the campers.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Grieving with you at the loss of dear Paddy. His big personality will be missed. Rest well beautiful boy.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Jan, I am so sorry Paddy has left you so suddenly. You have written a beautiful tribute to your boy. He adored living at Camp Greyhound and found all kinds of "fun things" to do keep your life exciting. At CG he was blessed with wonderful companions, an understanding mom and the best home possible to accommodate his larger than life personality. There are so many postings of your walks on the canal, down Seamie's road, the rides in the car, visits to the pet store, basking in the sunshine, and the classes you found for him that were perfect for his talents. He was where he should be - with you at Camp Greyhound. A part of him will always be with you.

Paddy - So young, so energetic, so loved. My friend, my heart breaks with yours on your loss. :brokenheart:brokenheart

Rest well sweet boy. You will always be remembered.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

OMG my heart just sank when I saw this. I just can hardly believe its true. In fact I insist that its really not- as I know that while his body may have died the real Paddy Mayhem that we all love that was spirit lives on. My deepest sympathy. :weep

The Way

In the darkness I turned to go; my last day's

done; I'll miss you so. No time even to say

goodbye or to lick the tears spilling from

your eyes.

That's when I heard you call my name;

I knew right then I must turn back to help ease your pain.

Since I've no voice with which to speak,

its whispers in your dreams I'll make.

Ease your heart and rest your mind, my

time with you was the best of kind. I couldn't

have asked for a better friend, we've shared

our journey to the very end.

There's one final thing you need to know, I'll

whisper in your ear before I go....."I'm leaving

first to find the way...so I can lead you back here with me[and Seamie] on your last day." -(SLong)

:f_red

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."

"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller
For love is as strong as death,
Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

:f_red

"Some animals...leave a trail of glory behind them.
They give their spirit to the place where they have lived, :gh_run
and remain forever a part of the rocks and streams and the wind and sky."

- Marguerite Henry

:grouphug

Jan, I have absolutely no idea what to say. I am incredibly sorry and heartbroken for you and your campers. I hope Aiden is ok.

Many, many hugs, my friend.

I am sure if we listen carefully, we will be able to hear ALVIN!! through the wind.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:omg:weep:crying:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Godspeed Paddy Alvin Mayhem. Send your Mum a sign. So very very sorry for your loss.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I am so, so sorry. What a shock that he is gone. Hugs to you and the campers. He will be missed and never ever forgotten.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Oh my. I'm shocked and saddened. :(

Rest well and provide everyone up there with the Mayhem that you are famous for here for your short time with us.

:f_white

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I am so sorry - what a shock!

A :grouphug and a :f_white for you, as you grieve for your sometimes exasperating, always much loved boy.

Run free, Paddy Mayhem. What a shame that you had to leave us so soon. :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

So shocked to see this. :( I hope the autopsy can provide you some answers and some closure. Run free sweet boy.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Dear Jan, What a shock!! I am so sad and sorry to read this. We will all miss your postings about your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sitting here stunned and in tears.

Run fast and free Paddy.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your handsome boy's name here. Paddy was far too young. Jan, I am so sorry for your loss. He will be sorely missed. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.