Harley's Limp

Guest Lyra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yay I'm sorry you had to go through that worry (been there, done that!) but glad you can breathe a sigh of relief now.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Just brought him home, they needed to do additional x-rays. He has a right accessory carpal fracture, plus there may be an additional fracture in his fourth carpal as well. He is scheduled for surgery early next week and they will do a CT scan before surgery so they can make sure they get all the fractures taken care of.

He's doing alright, he's in a splint right now until surgery and his foot is slightly flexed to take strain off of the joints. He has pain meds to keep him comfortable until it's fixed.

Now I get to setup camp in the living room for the next few weeks until he's recovered.

Oh, wow, that's a lot to deal with after just three weeks together! Best wishes for a smooth surgery and full recovery. Please keep us posted. Harley is so lucky to have you!

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

I just can't believe he wasn't doing more than just limping. He was even running and trying to play on it! He's got a lot more tolerance than any of my previous dogs. Now I have to take him out on a leash because the medications and splint have him feeling better and he wants to run. I love this dog but he's going to drive me nuts! Wish I could have a rational conversation with him and just tell him he has to take it easy for awhile. ;)

Well it might be corny to say fractures are good news but wow! ain't that great? They can FIX it and no terrible horrible diseases or cancer. Harley is so lucky to have found you- as you are for letting him in your heart. Can't help but think it was no coincidence that you found each other and are going through this together. Eyes on the prize. He's getting better all the time and the best is yet to come for the both of you. Soooooo happy he will be fine! What a relief.

Now he won't bear any weight on that leg, I don't know if he did anything in particular, I just think the odd angle is stressing his shoulder. I left a message with the orthopedic, who is in surgery, and she will call me back once out. I was trying not to medicate him so heavily, but I think 3 times a day until the surgery may be what he needs. I feel so bad for him. :(

Poor boy. It definitely could be the odd angle from the splint, and/or sometimes being manipulated for x-rays and standing around for lengthy periods at the vet's office can make them especially sore the next day. Hope you can get him on a med schedule that keeps him comfortable. :goodluck

They want me to bring him back in, they think his splint may have slipped and that's why he's suddenly not bearing weight on it. It's going to be a long few days until surgery. :(

I am glad they are checking the splint, it could have slipped or be rubbing somewhere. How ever, when Val had her foot just wrapped (no splint) for a few days, she never once put any weight on that foot. I think it was the strangeness that spooked her, she had no problem putting weight on it before or after the bandage :rolleyes:

He was walking on it before, albeit awkwardly, which is why I'm concerned. He just suddenly started 3-leg hopping and will freeze when he's attempting to do something, as if unsure. He has never frozen about anything, he's pretty fearless, which is a blessing for me because trying to move a 77 lb dog is not easy. So I'm hoping that is what it is. Unfortunately, he can't avoid steps in my house, there is one down onto the porch and two down onto the yard.

So turns out that Harley is irritating his toenail bed because he's walking directly on them due to the splint. They can't do much about it because they need him to stay splinted to prevent the fracture (s) from getting worse. But they padded it as much as they could and gave him a medipaw for extra support. It really seems to bother him, but in the grand scheme I can't do much about it. I just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it's not bleeding anymore. Poor guy...

OK ... the good news is that it is something that is IDENTIFIED and temporary. You're going to have a rough few weeks, but how wonderful that you're also going to have years to enjoy each other after this is all over & done with.

I'm so relieved for you both. Keep us updated on the surgery!!

Harley is out of surgery and doing well. The CT scan confirmed the accessory carpal fracture, but no additional fracture in the fourth carpal. The fracture was pretty long according to the vet, and required 2 screws. There was a piece 'floating' a bit which is why they thought there could be a second fracture.

They are going to try Tramadol and Gabapentin for pain management. I had them donate the Rimadyl to someone who needs it since Harley can't tolerate it. I get to bring him home tomorrow, he will have a cast on for a few weeks and we will go from there. The last splint ripped the skin off his toes, so they're being extra careful with the wrapping of this one. It was so bad her goal is to keep it on for at least 2 weeks and if he has to go without the splint after that it's a risk we will have to take.

Thanks for all the support!!

Edited by Lyra