Sign in to follow this  
GreytTerp

Harness Recommendations?

We would like to get a better fitting harness for Marvin, to provide an alternative for walks, hiking, and riding in his dog bike trailer. His Beastliness decided yesterday to go bonkers on the leash, where he races full speed around me and back and forth as if he were doing zoomies in a field...except that he's still tethered to me on the leash with a martingale (he does this once every 4-5 months, not at all frequently). I have no worries about him escaping the collar (he'd be peeing on the nearest foliage or hanging with any person nearby), but I am terrified about his neck. I'd also like to get a harness as he's getting older (turning 8 in two weeks). I can also secure him better in the car on our upcoming cross-country move, since we no longer have the SUV with the cargo area just for him.

What would you recommend that works well for the greyhound build?

Marv's roughly 77#, broader than average across and around his chest, and Rocket is his idol. Thanks!

I second the Freedom harness that Rachel linked. Both of my girls use them for daily walks, and I have been very happy with the product. They've held up great, one going strong at over 5 years. They make a harness sized specifically for sighthounds.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

One Stop Harness Shop is great. I've tried others and none begin to compare. They're custom made and have a no pull feature that really works.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/568743733161925/

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Love the harness lead. Lead and harness in one. Rolled rope so doesn't rub. No picking up feet. No buckles. Can't back out of it. They have a website and there are several videos on YouTube explaining how it works.

Love the harness lead. Lead and harness in one. Rolled rope so doesn't rub. No picking up feet. No buckles. Can't back out of it. They have a website and there are several videos on YouTube explaining how it works.

LOVE IT

WASHES BEAUTIFULLY

THE ONLY HARNESS THAT ELASTIC ANNIE CAN'T GET OUT OF.

it also fits over coats during the winter with out any major adjustments

Everybody's different. I tried this harness and didn't like it at all. I ended up giving it away.

I also tried the Freedom Harness. Iker is an escape artist and pulls like crazy because he's afraid of walks outside. The Freedom Harness didn't do the trick.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

One Stop Harness Shop is great. I've tried others and none begin to compare. They're custom made and have a no pull feature that really works.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/568743733161925/

I second this recommendation if you have a strong puller or high prey drive dog. I ordered one on Robin's recommendation after adopting Cristiano (galgo) two years ago and it is the best thing ever for him. I have two Freedom Harnesses and they've worked really well for my greyhounds over the years, but when Cristiano saw a rabbit on our walk, he backed out of the Freedom Harness. He backed up and twisted like Houdini all in one fell swoop! Fortunately I also had a martingale on him with a second leash, so he did not escape in pursuit of the rabbit. I can now walk Cristiano through bunny, squirrel, and kitty territory safely and with peace of mind. I do know of a couple of greyhounds that have backed out of the Freedom Harness, but unless they're high prey drive or leash reactive they're usually not prone to twist and turn and back out.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Buck does on leash zoomies every day. I love it! Except it makes me really dizzy. I don't worry one bit about his neck. He knows he's on a leash. He just runs around me in a circle as fast as he can. It's hilarious!

But we do have a No Pull harness from 2Hounds. Works great, but I am not a fan of harnesses. I feel that giving total freedom to the part with the sharp pointy bits makes me feel completely powerless at controlling the dog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck