Wiki Hard Ten 7/11/05 - 3/28/17

JJNg

Wiki was the second greyhound I adopted, but he's the first greyhound I've lost. He joined our pack in November of 2008. I half jokingly said I got him as a friend for my first greyhound Willow for her 4th birthday when I decided to bring him home as a foster with intent. He filled the vacant 4th spot in my pack after my IG Casey passed away 8 months prior. I picked Wiki for all the reasons we tell people not to - his color and appearance. I'd always liked white and brindle, the color of the first greyhound that caught my eye but I wasn't able to adopt due to timing. It didn't hurt that he had a friendly, outgoing personality to complement Willow's shyer temperament.

wikiyard.jpg

Wiki was a goofy little boy who loved everyone. He'd try to jump on just about anyone he met and give kisses. When I got more involved volunteering with the group, Wiki was my companion for home visits and meet & greets. He especially loved kids; toddlers were the perfect height to kiss, and he enjoyed all the attention he got at meet & greets. He was silly and clumsy and brought some humor to a pack of more serious dogs.

102915wikihomevisit.jpg

012514homeexpo.jpg

When he arrived, Wiki wanted to snuggle with all the other dogs. They never got upset with him, and occasionally tolerated it, but they would usually just leave when he tried. Wiki loved to roach, excelled at 'bed fails', and often preferred the little beds, even bullying my older whippet out of his favorite small bed when there are plenty of other options available.

6-071413wiki.jpg

4-wikihungover2009.jpg

5-122610wiki.jpg

Wiki wasn't the brightest dog, but that often just made him more endearing. The entire time I had him, there were certain things in our daily routine that he never quite caught on to. Most of my dogs quickly learn to sit for treats. And most of them would sit automatically whenever the treats came out. Wiki learned to sit pretty quickly, but for the entire 8 years I had him, he had to be prompted for that sit, every single time, and he'd be the last in the pack to get his treat.

In almost 7 years at our current home, every time we went to go out into the yard, he'd go behind me to the wrong side of the door, and watch longingly through the windows in the door as the other dogs went out. And it'd take him a few seconds to finally walk around me so that he could go out too.

Wiki had a decent career of about 90 races at the pro track, starting in New England, and then finishing in Orlando, running mostly in the mid to lower grades. After retirement, he had a brief stint lure coursing but was plagued with toe injuries. So I mostly just let him do straight fun runs and amateur racing on the sand track in Jacksonville.

2-051709jc3-mikemcnamer.jpg

Although he loved chasing the lure, Wiki had the least prey drive of all my hounds and was gentle with any little creatures he met. He was always patient with Willow pestering him to play. And when I brought my whippet Terra home as a 4-month-old puppy he played nicely with her and helped teach her the house rules.

3-072909wikikitty4.jpg

Wiki's passing less than a week after starting a brave fight against acute myasthenia gravis was sudden and unexpected. I'm glad he got to experience a couple of his favorite activities in the preceding weeks. He accompanied me to Greyhound Crossroads' home show meet & greet in Greenville in early March, and then got to enjoy one last fun run after the lure at our amateur racing meet in Camden just days before he got sick.

Video of his fun run:

Wiki and my mixed breed Gracie, adopted as a senior, who passed away at 16.5 years old last summer.

062914yard17profile.jpg

Wiki was a special little guy. I'll miss his sweet, endearing personality and soft, plush coat which made him especially lovable and huggable to all who met him. I love you, sweet boy. Rest in peace.

And for anyone interested, a link to his tribute album with lots more photos on Facebook (account not needed to view):

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss. But I have to add that you wrote a beautiful tribute. Your words Show how much he was loved.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I am so sorry. Wiki sounds like the perfect pup and I love his tail, reminds me of my angel Jack.

Run free Wiki, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So very sorry for the loss of your handsome Wiki.

You made so many wonderful memories. Remember them and smile.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

He had a wonderful life with you. I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed, good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lovely Wiki, run pain free sweet boy. So very sorry for your loss, he had a wonderful life with you and his buds.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

A very moving tribute. An amazing and very special hound with some very touching (and lovable) 'endearing quirps'. Loved the story about the door. Spatial disorientation must be a greyhound thing. Goldie would see something in front of the house -out the front window- that he wanted to bark at; and when I would let him out to go bark at it outside, he would run to the rear fence at the rear of the house and be confused and disappointed that it wasn't there for him to bark at. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_run

I am so very sorry :( :( what a handsome boy he was and so very loved :(:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jennifer, your tribute is just beautiful. What a life you and Wiki shared together. What a wonderful dog! I am so sorry you are missing him now. :grouphug

Godspeed good boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry. It is clear from your wonderful tribute to him that he was special in many ways--I know that if I'd met him, I'd have adored him too. He clearly found the right home for his retirement.

Godspeed Wiki.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a stunning boy he was. Jennifer, I am so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

What a lovely, silly, happy boy he was. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Wiki.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown