Sign in to follow this  
palmettobug

Greys Go Grey Quicker?

Not really a medical problem, just curious! ^_^

Looking at pictures of everyone's houndies, it seems that they go gray sooner than other dogs. For example, someone posted a black hound that I swear was over 10, turns out the dog was only a few years older than my Johnny, who is five! Johnny is getting some gray on his snout, but it's hard to tell since he's red fawn and it blends in.

My Black Lab really didn't start getting a gray muzzle until she was right around 10, if I recall correctly. She had the here-and-there white hairs, but nothing real major until she got really old.

Me & John Reese (Gable Dodge x O Jays) and the 4 kittehs!

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I don't think they go gray faster then other dogs except on an individual basis. When we got Toni she was a little over 4 years old and had a beautiful dark face. She didn't start going gray for a few years, and only had a completely white face a couple years ago (she'll be twelve on the 18th). Lilly, who we got as a puppy, already has gray rings around her eyes where the color from her patches is fading! She started going gray when she was three!

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

I think it does depend on the dog, but it seems that many black greyhounds do start getting grey faces at a very young age.

Guest goofydog2

Morrie was 5.5 yrs when he came to me and already had some gray on his face. Now, at 7.5, most of his snout is gray. Just makes him appear distinguished!

Depends on the dog. Loca was black and hardly had any grey when she passed away at 12.5 years old. Treasure, who was also black, had loads of grey when I adopted her at age 9. Iker, also black, has loads of grey at age 9.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

I think it depends on the lines to some extent, but I do think that on average they go grey quicker.

We got Summit at 5.5 years old. He is all white except for fawn ear patches. But his bertillion card indicated an eye patch. I just figured they made a mistake or mixed up two puppies' cards. Then we found his original adoption photos from when he came off the track at 3 (he was a bounce, so he'd been off the track for a few years before we got him) and one ear patch was actually a full eye patch.

At 3 years (original adoption photo)

Greyhound_BBF_Dropout-big_zps3ee85336.jp

At 7 years

IMG_8972_edit_zps22313e6d.jpg

At 11 years

Kristie%20Smith-28_zpsuw815skc.jpg

Kili we got as a puppy, with a half face of blue brindle.

Here she is at 1 yr

ae32252f-b2b8-45f1-ade7-3b3725abc1a0_zps

and at 4 yrs

Kristie%20Smith-52_zps02tchygl.jpg

And Kenna I expect to notice going grey very soon because she's not white. Her mother was also a brindle and started to get a speckling of white hair pretty early. I think I can already see her getting lighter (though not white) around the sides of the muzzle.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Lila is 10.5 and I'm just starting to see white hairs creeping into her muzzle.

Lila with tulips
Jerilyn, devoted Mistress to Lila (Good Looking)

Max went gray pretty late. I got him at just over 10 years old and many greyhound people commented on how black he still was. Now at 12.5+ years old his face has a lot of gray, and now his body hair is graying too.

Rob
Logan - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (Aug. 4, 2004 - Jan. 11, 2018)

Sweep's muzzle whitened quite a bit between ages 6 and 7, and her brows and lashes are pretty white now at 7.5. My niece and nephew hadn't seen her in a while and asked me "Why does she look so old?" That was a lovely punch in the gut.

Edited by ramonaghan

17369590311_3d5eeef92f.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

I got Magic at 4.5 and he had a little grey right around his nose. I had him about 9.5 years and his face never went completely white. On the otherhand, I adopted Joy at 2 and she had no white. She has more than Magic did when I adopted him and she won't be 4 until the end of May.

I know someone who had a black hound who was the same age as Magic; and, when I first met her at 5 years old, she had an almost completely white face.

It's probably like humans, some go grey quicker than others. My grandfather was 76 when he passed, and he had salt and pepper hair.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Buck's muzzle went grey get at 4. I believe I've read most Molotov descendants grey early...and there a ton of the,.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes, I absolutely think they do, and it is one thing that upsets me about the breed. Most dogs only go gray when they are old, but many greys turn gray very early. My Cocoa is graying very noticeably and she will be 4 later this month (she is a very black black brindle). There were white strands in her face when I adopted her at two. I am very jealous of those with greyhounds whose faces keep their color.....

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Disagree.

My pit bull mix had a black muzzle. When he was a pup it was so black it looked like he tripped and fell face first into a bucket of black paint. By 18 months, he was starting to go grey.

Its not a greyhound thing at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My three all went grey very young.

Our siggie photo shows them at ages 7, 8, and 10.

We had a Springer who lived to age 12, a GSD mix was 14.5 and 3 Dobies ...none went gray.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed all the pictures, too! Keep em coming!

Diesel was black and had very little grey/white. He got a few random silver hairs as he aged, but that's it. Sully's face got silvery but that didn't start happening until he was 10 or so. By 12 it was quite pronounced. Rook is almost 7 and his muzzle and face are already grey.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

I think it depends on the individual dog. Here are a couple of black greyhounds in my life.

My Betty in 2010 (3-years-old) and last fall (9-years-old). Betty is now almost all white on her face and head. The rest of her is very gray, to the point where people ask if she is a blue.

betty%20comparison_zpsk8x1j3ew.jpg

My friend's Jack, who is 4 days older than Betty. He has some gray around his face, but the rest of him is still black. (he looks concerned in the new pic becuase the kitty was drinking his water :lol)

jack%20comparison%203_zpsuvftgtpx.jpg

And because I'm posting pictures. Two pics of my current girls taken in the past month. Betty (9-years-old) and my newest gh Hannah (2-years-old)

In their No Nude Hounds winter coats

both%20in%20coats_zpshdgqespa.jpg

First ride Daddy's new truck

Resized_20170326_100337_zpscgovikiw.jpeg

BTW, greying dogs are beautiful.

I agree with this 100%. They just get more beautiful with age.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest LittleGreyAnnie

I don't believe it's a greyhound thing, it just depends on the individual dog. I've seen a greyhound that had virtually no grey hairs at all, I thought the dog was only 1 or 2 years old, ended up being 9 and a half LOL. I've also seen a few 2 year old greys that had gone grey pretty fast..I personally love the greying hairs haha. There are also young other breed and mixed breed dogs that have grey hairs at a young age. Not a greyhound thing, I think it's just more obvious on greyhounds :)

I've seen some greyhounds who have had grey fur all over. Magic's grey was only on his face. He retained his red and black stripes until he went to the Bridge almost 2 years ago.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.livescience.com/57254-anxiety-may-give-dogs-gray-hair.html

The implication is not that all dogs who gray prematurely experience a lot of stress/anxiety, but it's worth considering. All 3 of mine have grayed pretty early, but I looked into the stress possibility when Violet started to get really gray at age 7. She was already getting whiter in her face, but I felt like suddenly it was happening really fast. This was over the period where my dad passed away and then Zuri got osteo and I had to put him to sleep so I do think in her case it contributed.

I'm sure there's also a genetic component and it's quite possible because of the somewhat limited genetic variation in the racing greyhound population that certain lines would be more prone to premature graying than others like Krissy proposed. I have nothing scientific to back that up, but it makes total sense to me.

And of course as is always the case with these types of discussions, just because a breed is more prone to something than another doesn't mean that all dogs of that breed will have it, or that no dogs of other breeds will have it. It cracks me up when people say things like "No, this one dog I had of ____ (non-greyhound) breed went gray really early so that can't be true." I don't think the question was, "Do all greyhounds go gray early to the exclusivity of all other dogs." :lol

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My hounds have always started turning grey/white at about age 5. Except I couldn't tell about Scout, a white with fawn whose face was white to start with. Made him appear very youthful to me, even when he reached 13.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

Great input and pics everyone! I have noticed that Johnny's white chest/neck stripe is more visible now then when I got him. I'll try to post some pics of him if Photobucket will cooperate.