Visit Kennel W/greys And/or Put In Daycare Before Boarding?

Guest MichiganMom

Guest MichiganMom

Our two boys have to be boarded, for the second time in their lives with us, this Friday for about 9 days. We know they won't like it one bit — especially one of them — but our floor is getting ripped up and redone while we are away and not only will that be disruptive and a mess, but the strong smell of chemicals wouldn't be good for anyone (we usually have a babysitter stay at our home with the dogs.)

Please write back if you feel strongly that either we should or should not take the dogs to the kennel this week and leave them their for a number of hours (daycare) so that they know we will always come back to them. I'm so torn. My husband thinks the daycare idea will make them even more terrified of the drop-off on Friday. On the other hand, I totally understand the idea behind it. Thank you in advance.

Edited by MichiganMom

I personally would put them in overnight, just for the one night, so they have a yummy meal or two there and a chance to settle into the routine. That's what I did with my first greyhound (by chance - there was a family wedding I HAD to go to) and then with the second it was it was over a weekend. I use the holiday kennelling at our greyhound rescue, which is greyt, but was initially worried they might think they were being returned! Actually in both cases all went well, they were excited to see me again but had also enjoyed being back with the other greyhounds. On subsequent visits they trotted in very happily.

Can your two be kennelled together? That would help. My old boy Doc preferred to be kennelled on his own so was allowed to take along a favourite toy to sleep with. Ken on the other hand likes to cuddle up with a temporary greyhound girlfriend!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest MichiganMom

Can't keep them home, unfortunately, this time (see above.) Yes, they will be together in one room. We're going full splurge for them, the "Delux" unit with a single bed and TV … but the reason I really wanted it was because it has a really high wall, almost to the ceiling, which should really help cut the noise of the place down. They will get three 5-10 min. walks/day plus a 20 min. playtime. I plan on bringing their stuff with them (at least one of their own beds) plus some clothes of ours. Thanks for the advice on taking them there. I'm not sure I'd do overnight, but maybe they should do daycare once this week. I really wish we had greyhound specific kennels/groups etc. around here (folks who take dogs in for vacations) but I'm not aware of any. I know for certain we don't have a greyhound-specific kennel or big foster group in town. I think everyone in this town adopted their dogs from other towns that do have more of a hub of foster families associated with the various greyhound rescue groups in the state. Thanks again!

85f4b89c-6bd4-4610-9291-b450dcbea413.jpg

Ultimate Deluxe Condo

• 3 5-10 minute walks/day and an additional 20 minute play time/day
  • Twin bed
  • Flat screen television with dog movies on loop
  • $41/multiple night or $61.50/minimum night fee
  • Ultimate Deluxe is 8'x7'4"

I meant, a friend or family you might know, I know obviously you can't keep them home :)

It seems like a very nice place for them. Everywhere that is not their own home will be a bit stressful for them but from personal experience, after a day or two they forget we even exist (I leave them often enough to know that unfortunately!)

I doubt it will change anything for them to go this week or not. If it was me, I would just pop them in on Friday, they will settle in then, get in their routine and before they know it, you will be back for them and they will be the happiest hounds ever! Remember that they live in the present and you putting them in daycare for a few days won't likely change much for their kenneling time. Just my 2 cents :)

Edit to add: Unless you think they won't handle the kennel environment and totally freak out, in which case, you need a plan B ;) But those kennels looks huge and well maintained, I wouldn't worry :)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I know that kenneling greyhounds is not always the most popular option, but I think you have to do what's best for your individual hounds. In my case, one of my girls is very shy. Quite honestly, for her, a boarding facility is actually better. I know that she is triple fenced, and basically has no chance of getting away if she gets spooked. I would worry about her being in someone's home, or even having someone else come to our home. It's not always easy to figure out what triggers her sudden stress or shyness, plus it takes her a year or so to really warm up to someone. My girls stay together in a large run, and they few times that I've had to board them, they always seem to be in good shape upon pickup. That said, when I have to leave for a longer length of time, they stay with my parents. It isn't the easiest option, since my family lives 10 hours away from me, but they love going there and are very comfortable at my parents' home. In May, I'll be leaving to take my students to Spain for five weeks, which is definitely worth an extra road trip to place them somewhere where they'll be happy and safe. I hope your boys do well!!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I completely understand your anxiety about this - my husband and I love to travel, typically overseas or on trips where we cannot take the dogs (e.g., we went on a 7-day rafting/hiking/camping trip in the Grand Canyon last year). Neither of us have any family close that can watch them and our one neighbor who used to help out recently moved across the country. Couple that with now having a greyhound that can easily jump a 4-foot fence AND doesn't like to "go" on leash and we have a tough situation. I looked into having someone come here a few times per day, but since I work from home they are used to having someone here almost all the time, and to subject them to 10-15 minute visits a few times per day made me even more anxious. I just can't imagine leaving them here with no supervision - especially since our girl is somewhat mischievous.

With our previous 2 hounds, we used DogVacay & Rover and had them stay in someone else's home - but it was tough finding someone without kids or other pets (they almost all had cats or little dogs) and now it's impossible to find one with no kids, no cats/small dogs and a 6' fence. Our only option is boarding. I spent a lot of time researching, visiting facilities and we finally found one we liked that also has doggy cams so we can watch them while we're away. Even our very shy girl (we lost her last year) ended up being okay there - they would put her in a playgroup with the senior dogs, so it was super mellow and she got tons of attention. When I log into the doggy cams and they are outside playing, they honestly look like they are having a blast. I know they'd rather be at home, but they are in a Deluxe suite like you are getting, away from the other dogs with lots of beds (they allow us to bring beds & toys from home since they are separate) and webcams to watch them.

Honestly, it bothers me when I see people saying greyhounds are too sensitive or "hate" boarding. I'm guessing most dogs would rather be at home with their families, but if you find the right facility, I think it's a safe, monitored environment. They have insurance and they have emergency medical care. They feed them exactly what I tell them to at exactly the times I ask and they administer any medications I need. They socialize and run and play and they are also monitored - if they don't seem to like playing, they are pulled out for one-on-one walks. It sounds like you have done your homework and your dogs will be safe and well-cared for.

I was crazy-worried about the girl we lost last year - she was very shy and didn't love playing with other dogs, and she was a seizure dog on medication. I was very happy that they took very careful notes when I dropped them off the first time. They even documented exactly when they administered her medication (it had to be every 12 hours) and I was so glad they pulled her out of the "main" playgroup and put her with the seniors where she'd be happier. Do our greyhounds like it? I'm not sure, I can't ask them - but they are safe, get their meds, eat their food, are monitored 24/7 (we found a facility that has a care taker live here) and we watch them on webcams.

Don't second-guess your decision to board them. The last two times we've boarded ours, there were other greyhounds there with them and the facility sent us photos of them all running around together! We've had to board our greyhounds, six of them spanning many years, numerous times. I always tear up a little leaving them - but they've always been okay. :)

Edited by Sundrop

Guest MichiganMom

I just want to once again thank all of you who have really taken the time to carefully write about your experiences. I can't thank you all enough. We dropped them off yesterday morning; it was really hard and I knew it was the beginning of Spring Break in our area but the small crowd at the kennel (also a vet clinic, day care and groomer) sent the message home. I wish they had doggy cams!! I'm going to look into that if I ever have to do this again. More importantly, I just need to find out "who and where" the greyhound owners are in my area of mid-MI. On a happy note, while they told me they'd be super busy over the next week so phone calls checking in were/are perfectly fine but emails might not happen because the folks who take care of the boarders don't have easy access to the office computers: we received and email about the pups, a photo AND whoever it was who wrote me asked where I purchased the collar for my one pup because she/he loved it and the material used to make it (Awesome! personal contact!) and I remembered exactly where I got it and was able to help her out. We are still in the car traveling to destination as I type this, but I'll try to upload their sweet faces. (I couldn't figure out how to do it from home.)

IMG_2859.JPG

I usually have a frriend watch my hounds but I did board them once--at a vet that had a small boarding kennel. I was very worried about one of them as he was extremely shy and nervous. Turned out he loved it! I think it reminded him of being back in the racing kennel with regular meals and turnouts. We met his trainer once and it was clear that he loved her and I think loved the whole kennel/racing environment. So boarding was a fun trip down memory lane for him. My other dog was bomb-proof and was fine with being boarded.