Constant Panting And Discomfort After Eating

Guest gordysmom96

Guest gordysmom96

Well, I've written a few times about my 11 year old girly's health issues in the past few months. One, probably IBS and acute pancreatitis and one year out from thyroid cancer diagnosis. She stopped eating much of anything this weekend. I've been hand feeding her on her bed and she usually eats, not always. I've tried scrambled eggs, canned dog turkey/veggie mix, cooked turkey burger, and depending on how she feels, she'll either eat or not. Today, I got her to eat a cooked ground turkey patty. She ate it with gusto, but with minutes was panting heavily for at least 15 minutes. (She is heat intolerant and was lying out on the deck in the sun even though temps are in the 30s).

Sadly, I think this may be her time. She looks so uncomfortable and I'm a wreck from not sleeping well last night with another night of interrupted sleep of 2 hours then 4 waking up when she needed to go out.

Her bowels have changed from semi-solid to mostly very soft. She's drinking a lot of water, too. Tramadol 2x/daily is being given including her daily Omeprazole.

The panting has been ongoing for months, but has really accelerated. Her quality of life is diminished.

Sorry to read this. I know the decision is hard, but you have to weigh her quality of life. Unfortunately, no matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It may be that her body's metabolism has just run out of time. Pain after eating isn't a good sign as it means the food and gastric juices are inflaming a very sore area which might be some kind of abnormal cell growth mass in there and possibly producing gas which makes it feel even worse.. You are already lowering the acid production with Omeprrazole, and there is still Sucralfate to try to soothe the sore linings.

If it was me I'd ask the vet to work out for sure what's really going on and base any euthaniasia decision on the outcome. Certainly there is already no blame in letting a dog go if it has an incurable painful condition. So sorry to read that you are facing this.

Guest gordysmom96

It may be that her body's metabolism has just run out of time. Pain after eating isn't a good sign as it means the food and gastric juices are inflaming a very sore area which might be some kind of abnormal cell growth mass in there and possibly producing gas which makes it feel even worse.. You are already lowering the acid production with Omeprrazole, and there is still Sucralfate to try to soothe the sore linings.

If it was me I'd ask the vet to work out for sure what's really going on and base any euthaniasia decision on the outcome. Certainly there is already no blame in letting a dog go if it has an incurable painful condition. So sorry to read that you are facing this.

She was taking Sulcrafate recently but finished approx. 1 wk ago. She may have an ulcerated stomach due to probable IBS/D. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow and ask for blood work, which I would assume should be able to ascertain such abnormalities. I don't want to euthanize her if it is unnecessary at this time.

Guest gordysmom96

I would ultrasound her abdomen after taking radiographs.

Thanks, tbhounds. I'll ask tomorrow. Need to find the culprit.

She's eating small amounts of food, thankfully, but still looks unhappy.

Hugs and best thoughts for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Do you have solid evidence that she doesn't still have smoldering pancreatitis?

Both of my greyhounds have had pancreatitis, and for the record it was only the TLI test that A) diagnosed them and B ) allowed us to monitor their pancreatic levels properly.

Both were much younger and neither were as sick as yours, but they both were eventually fine.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest gordysmom96

Do you have solid evidence that she doesn't still have smoldering pancreatitis?

Both of my greyhounds have had pancreatitis, and for the record it was only the TLI test that A) diagnosed them and B ) allowed us to monitor their pancreatic levels properly.

Both were much younger and neither were as sick as yours, but they both were eventually fine.

I'll inquire about the TLI test. Thank you.

Was the thyroid removed? Thyroid cancer is generally considered fairly curable--my mother had it. She's been living without her thyroid for at least 25 years now--takes pills and does great.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck