?:alternatives To A Vet Dental

Hello everyone,

Its great to be a part of this wonderful forum!

I was wondering if you might have some suggestions on what can help greyhounds with less than ideal teeth other than taking them to the vet for a full dental under anesthesia.

I know a vet is the best solution, but with older greyhounds I worry about the procedure and don't want to have them put under.

Any input and expertise you can give us would be so much appreciated.

thanks so much,

Rick

It really depends on what the issues are. If the dog has any pain from the dental issues, then a vet dental is most likely needed.

If you are just trying to clean up the teeth and gums, then the Oratene Water additive is pretty good. Oratene also makes a gel that you can apply to the gums and teeth. Results take weeks to months, but there is overall improvement with regualr use of the products.

You can also brush the dog;s teeth if they'll allow it - many do and the canine toothpaste comes in Peanut Butter and other flavors so the dog thinks it's a treat. There are even a few hounds here who allow their owners to use an electric toothbrush on them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My boys' teeth improved since feeding raw, especially when they eat bones like lamb or calf rips.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

There is a vet in Phoenix who does the non-anesthesia dental. This is NOT a substitute for a vet dental, but if your dog won't let you brush his teeth, it can help get the surface gunk off. The tech who does the actual work started this because she had a greyhound with bad teeth :) I will post the link.

I've used a dental spray called Leba III. It's been the only thing that helps to keep the tartar at bay and reduce the dental visits. If you use it routinely for 30 days, you will see a great improvement in the overall mouth.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

One more thing - if your dog is okay with chewing, you could try some CET chews or Bully Sticks. The CET chews have an enzyme in them that helps keep teeth clean. The bully sticks require a fair amount of chewing, and help with cleaning also. I find that the Supreme or Thick Bully sticks work best. Anything else is pretty thin and the hound can chew right through them without having to chew for very long.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

DustysMom, Xtrawld, Remolacha, Time4ANAP and smurfette,

thank you all so much for the great information! We will get to work on this asap and will keep in touch!

I see some of you folks are in Phoenix. I have done a lot some animal photography and of course, greyhounds are my favorite! . Here is my link on flickr that has some of my images:

www.flickr.com/photos/greyhoundrick/

thanks again and looking forward to interacting with you again soon!

best,

Rick

Edited by greyhoundrick

All good advice, but I'll add, what my first (and beloved) vet always said, old age is not a disease. Sure, our seniors can develop complications that make a dental unwise, but so can a younger dog. If her blood values / urine tests / physical exam are all fine, try not to worry. If they're not, and your vet is advising against anesthesia, than look at some of her other options.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I have used Tammy Ceroni for years. 602-955-7816. She comes to your home. Very knowledgeable and will let you know if there is any issue for which you should see your vet. She also has the same antibiotics that my vet uses.

Is she a vet? Dispensing medications?

Hi,

As some people said before Oratene products are great. I use the gel in the water, but also brush their teeth everyday, when I can't I put a brushless gel instead it's from Oratene too.

Virbac CET it's great brand also, we use the toothpaste and give them the green Virbac cet chew. There is a white one with enzymes that helps too, but it was to hard for our greys.

If you have time I think brushing their teeth everyday it's the best option after a good dental clean in the vet. I've started doing it when I adopted my dog. And now my vet said her teeth are great.

Of course sometimes I forget and some plaques form in her teeth, then I use a human scrapper from dentix, to remove. She is very calm so I have no problem doing that.

Petzlife Gel has worked wonders on my dog's teeth. It is pricey but worth it in my opinion! Instead of a toothbrush, I put it on a dental pad and rub the teeth and gums.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com