How To Treat Ptsd/depression In Exhausted New Grey

Guest jrbkett17

Guest jrbkett17

My wife and I adopted our first greyhound in late Nov/16 and have enjoyed her immensely. Almost every week we see progress, but "progress" is not that important to us, since we bonded rather quickly with our 3 year old Chanel and count her as family. In mid January we had the idea of adding to our family one of her siblings who might be retiring soon. Faster than we thought was possible we heard that her brother would be on a truck (from FL to a Rocky Mountain State) on Tuesday, Feb 14 at about 7PM. At about 7:30PM a dazed Banksy, Chanel's brother, stumbled out of the truck and was greeted by his sister. They got along immediately and we have a good feeling about Chanel's alpha-ness working well with his calm happy-go-lucky nature.

We spent time this afternoon, Feb 18, reuniting the 2 dogs for a play date and have come to the decision to bring him home tomorrow. From the visit it was apparent that Banksy is suffering emotional distress. He looks shell shocked, depressed and slightly malnourished. He's been eating well since arrival and pooped a lot in the park, so he's on the way back in that last category.

More concerning are the signs of inactivity like leg muscle atrophy (wobbly legs at times) + very soft and tender pads on his feet. He also has some form of dermatitis or psoriasis on his skin.

We are getting Banksy tomorrow after lunch. What specific recommendations do you suggest regarding special care for this neglected boy as he begins his recovery in his forever home. Diet? Supplements? Skin recommendations? Exercise ability recovery? Help with his feet? We look forward to listening to our Vet and the community to learn how to make the next year a great one as he recovers from a tough season in his life.

Thanks, Jim

Edited by jrbkett17

Congrats on your new addition. I really don't think you can be making assumptions about his emotional state at this stage as he may just physically be feeling terrible. I would get him to the vet asap to see what's going on medically and then go from there. We could throw out a ton of suggestions but without really knowing what's going on with him it doesn't make much sense to me. I do understand wanting to gather information and have options, but vet first. I'm wondering why a newly retired dog of 3 years of age would be in such poor shape. Do you have more information about where he came from?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest jrbkett17

Hi Greyaholic. Thanks for commenting. I agree. All we know (presuming the http://www.trackinfo.comis correct) is that he had his last race on September 3rd, 2016. We will get the advice he needs on Monday. However, I respect the opinion of anyone who has helped a traumatized refugee or any recovering animal. I have exposure to human medicine as a pharmaceutical rep for about 6 years in the last half of the 80's. We believe that consistent love and care will help him a lot.

Will it be inappropriate for us to ask about how much he exercised in the past 2 months? The tenderness of the pads of his feet is a little disturbing.

Don't assume emotional trauma until you know a little more. It's easy to have a "poor little thing" attitude, when in fact he may have something medically serious going on that's affecting his presentation. Even a heavy load of hookworms can make them feel - literally - crappy. Most well conditioned racers look thinner than a retired pet, and there could be many reasons, including injury why he may have been retired.

Talk to the adoption rep to see if they even have any history on him. Then get him in as soon as you can for a vet visit. The next piece of advice is to not load his system up with even more changes all at once. Unless there's a medical reason, keep him on the same food, have him on a regular potty schedule, don't expect anything more from him than he's willing to give. Let him get settled into your home and routine before adding a bunch of supplements or changing his food.

If he's like his sister, he'll probably be fine with some TLC and a consistent schedule.

Your link above to Track Info just takes you to the main site, not to his info. Do you know his racing name?

Welcome and post pics of your new siblings!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Welcome to GreyTalk! :) Congratulations on both of your Greyhound additions!

Yes, it's wonderful to be surprised by their blossoming progress -- often noticeable at 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years, and beyond. :)

You're fortunate to be able to adopt hounds from the same family. (We've brought in four family members.) What is Banksy's racing name?

It's fine to ask your adoption group about his activity during his past 2 months. They may or may not know that information.

Just take everything slowly. Give him plenty of time to rest, and adjust to his new forever home and family.

Soft paw pads are very common with newly retired Greyhounds. They're accustomed to soft sand tracks and turn-out pens. When health permits, we usually start new fosters from the track with 5 minute walks, gradually increasing time duration over the first 2-3 months. This allows hounds to adjust slowly to their strange new environment, and allows paw pads to begin building toughness without causing sores (which can happen if hounds are over-walked too soon). Also allows walking muscles and endurance to be built gradually. Building endurance is different from their 30-second race sprinting condition, and it's possible your boy may not have had much (if any) recent measurable exercise.

Your vet should be able to guide you re: improving his skin. Please do get a fecal test, and TBD test (tick borne disease) if not tested upon his arrival into CO(?). The adoption group should let you know which kibble he's been eating. Helps to start them on the same kibble until he's been home and settled for a while. It you want to change kibble later, do so gradually over 3-4 weeks (unless he has a severe reaction to current kibble). Enjoy your litter mates!

I adopted a traumatized galgo. Take it slow, let him come to you and don't crowd him. And yes, a vet visit is a good idea.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Congrats!

That much time on a hauler takes a toll. We adopted a boy who had come off of a haul a day before and it took him a good week to get all of the stiffness out of his body. Keep in mind that your boy has absolutely no idea what is going on. Agree with a vet check, then give him some time and patience.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Relax. He just got off a long haul to a place he's never seen before, and he's going to be embarking on a whole new lifestyle. Can take some days to recover from a haul, and some weeks/months to figure out the new lifestyle thing. Well-dog visit to the vet, and otherwise take your cues from him. When bringing a new dog home, we ask very little -- start learning to potty outdoors, and don't bite the people even though they will probably deserve it at times. That's it. Most times it's well evident when they're ready for more. :)

Congratulations!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

tender pads are due to his life on super fine sand. in a month or so they should be calloused like a normal dog's pad. be tender in walking him on sidewalks. let the pads harden slowly. skin and coat can take 6+ weeks to resolve. his track coat will be blown and he will have a normal glorious coat in due time.

my first greyhound only stayed in her crate when she first came to us. she did come out a few weeks later for a thanksgiving celebration of 16 people and really enjoyed it, roached, socialized and then some. but her first 2+ weeks made me wonder if she was brain damaged. no response, just a sad look in her crate. with in 2 months of socialization she was a certified therapy dog and passed her CGC. gentle clicker obedience classes did wonders.

give it time and love

When bringing a new dog home, we ask very little -- start learning to potty outdoors, and don't bite the people even though they will probably deserve it at times. That's it. Most times it's well evident when they're ready for more. :)

This is a good mention for other adopters too.

A golden rule to remember for dogs:

Let sleeping dogs lie undisturbed, meaning humans should consider a dog's bed the dog's personal undisturbed "safe zone". Better for humans to wait for dogs to stand up and walk away from the dog's bed before approaching or petting the dog. Also, leaning over a dog's body or reaching over the dog's head is considered threatening in dogs' language. Gently stroking a dog's shoulder, side, or thigh (in same direction as fur grows) while dog is standing and away from dog's bed is much preferred. :)

Resource guarding:

If a human needs to take away something a dog is chewing, it's safest to "trade up" by happily tossing yummy meat treats or a toy of higher value near the dog (as a distraction) to encourage dog to stand up and leave the unsafe item behind. Thereafter, a human can quickly remove the unsafe item the dog left behind on the floor.

Please keep newly adopted dogs off of humans' furniture:

Safest to not allow dogs on humans' furniture. At the very least, please consider waiting at least 6 months or more before allowing a dog on humans' furniture. It often takes that long or longer for a Greyhound to begin revealing his/her true personality and personal space needs. Adopters with younger children would be smart to never allow dogs on humans' furniture.

These tips will help your new Greyhound settle nicely into his forever home. Hope your adoption went well on Sunday. :)