Kidney Failure-Renavast

About 6 months ago I took Selena in for a checkup because she was losing weight. ( I thought maybe age)

They came back with her labs telling us Creatnine was high.

After going throughout this years ago with Duchess (some of you remember).

Well, long story short. They put her on a supplement called Renavast. She takes twice a day. It has been wonderful. She is gaining weight and her creating levels are back to normal.

Wish I knew about this years ago for Duchess.

Just to let you all know, if you have kidney issues with your grey.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 33.09 KB (33,886 bytes) file size.

Darlene and Garon with Selena-JCKC 5/23/2005 & Mosa-RDR 2/5/2010

Missing Santannah Belle-NSRA 7/7/2001- 9/6/2012

It is good to hear positive anecdotal information about this. Twiggy was diagnosed with kidney failure over a year ago (fortunately, with enalapril her numbers have been holding pretty steady & no further steps like diet changes or additions/increases in meds have been recommended).

However, there is some not-so-great information about this product out there too - mainly insufficient clinical data and illegal marketing claims (per the FDA and AVMA)

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm454500.htm

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/151015n.aspx

It might be worth weighing the cost / potential benefit / lack of scientific evidence for the efficacy of the product. I wouldn't say to stop it if it appears to be helping & doing no harm, but I'm not convinced that it is the miracle kidney drug that the company claimed.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

That's great to hear! I lost my Diana to renal failure, and it was a long slow struggle till the end. If there had been something to help improve her quality of life during that time I'd have absolutely tried it. Good luck - I hope it really helps.

And - I'm so sorry. Do the best you can and love your dog every day. This is not a cure, but if it helps hold weight for a little while, I'm all for it. Dealing with renal failure is like the Little Dutch Boy plugging holes in the dam. There's no win. There's only doing the best you can. You need to switch game plans constantly, because none of them work for long. I don't say that to be negative - but realistic. Keep trying. Do what works for now. Don't expect it to work for long. Then try something new. Maintain quality of life. And wh. en you can't - have the courage to end it. I waited a bit too long. Not much, but enough that I'll always feel guilty