Dewormer Of Choice? Added Flea Protection? Trifexis?

Guest jpreston409

Guest jpreston409

Well, Mr. Ollie was finally diagnosed as having a high load of hookworms that I'm sure he came home with (recently adopted). So now it's a game of trying to get rid of them, we started with a dose of Drontal to see if that gets us anywhere, we'll go from there after a followup fecal. What are your monthly parasite preventatives of choice? I was looking in to Trifexis since it also kills and repels fleas. Of course, almost any type you look at there seems to be dogs who have had severe adverse effects (seemingly like the Quest/Zimectrin Gold in horses). So of course, now I'm totally paranoid. A few suggestions from fellow grey parents will greatly put my mind at ease! You guys are the best! :)

Heavy infestation of resistant hooks came along with last 5 dogs pulled from north Florida farm. After 3 months of 2 doses or panacur, ivermectin and advantage MULTI has resulted in 2 negative hook report on my foster. Will continue on Advantage Multi into the future

We used Trifexis for over a year after his previous monthly pill disappeared from the market. We found over time that each time it was given, it took 2 days or so before Rocket was back to normal. While the side effects weren't major, he just wasn't himself and obviously didn't feel good each time we gave it. The effect seemed to get worse as time went on, and there was enough info on adverse reactions coming out simultaneously that it started to concern me. We changed to Sentinel and have had no more side effects or issues.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest jpreston409

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the Advantage Multi and see how that works. For anyone who does use that, there's a coupon available online for buy one 6 pack and get a second half off. Looks like it's also good for K9 Advantix II and Advantage II. Seresto collars are on there as well, but only if you're also using the coupon for the Advantage multi.