Orijen Feeders Question

75 lb male, 3 hours walking per day average, most of it off-leash, so more scampering around than compared to leash walking.

Just switched from raw to Orijen Adult. Guidlines say about two cups a day which seems far too little. I understand that kibble is calorie dense compared to raw, it's just that I have no kibble experience having raw fed all my dogs.

I am good at watching my dogs physique to maintain weight but I would like to start off with close to the correct amount. Any advice is appreciated.

(Because I know your curious, I switched away from raw because I suspected it was leading to regular 2:00 AM turnout. Yesterday was the first full kibble day and presto - no middle of the night turnout. Seems the raw resulted in many very small bowel movements.)

I wasn't a raw feeder overall with Aston, but I fed him raw turkey necks to clean his teeth (and for his entertainment :lol ). I noticed that the high bone content would stop him up a bit compared to usual output. I know little to nothing about raw feeding, so I could be off-base, but have you tried feeding raw with a bit more bone to see if that condenses bowel movements to fewer times per day, maybe that would take the night pooping out? Only wondering this because I think this is the first time I've heard of a higher frequency of output with all-raw, based on GT threads/mentions.

I fed Aston Orijen for a very short time (cut out just due to cost), but I do recall thinking that the amount seemed tiny for him -- we maintained him at 72lb. He seemed fine, but we only fed it for a few weeks, so I don't know if it would have resulted in weight loss long-term. He did get cookies outside of the Orijen ration, so it wasn't a controlled experiment.

Signed,
Was that even helpful? lol

I always give raw bones as a mid-day snack, turkey necks, pork neck etc. Raw fed poos were well formed, very firm - typical raw fed output, but just a little bit at a time. Yes the higher frequency output was a surprise to me also. My assumption is that this is a peculiarity of my new boy's digestive system. I had wondered if perhaps I was feeding too much, but weight was stable over two months. Showing lot's of rib.

And yes Orijen is ridiculously expensive - close to the cost of raw.

Edited by KickReturn

You can still do one meal raw like breakfast and then do kibble by night if the extra turn out is an issue.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

I think 2 cups a day may be too little to feed a 75 lb dog. I rotate Orijen and Acana and switch between flavors for my 57 lb girl. She will get about 3 cups a day (split in two meals), if I am not adding in other things. She is a picky eater and maintains her very sleek frame. If I am not mistaken, I think the bag says 2 cups a day for a 44 lb dog.

I like this food, even though it is expensive, for its quality. If you check Acana, you may find it to be a little less expensive. I order from Chewy.com. Great service and prices.

Orijen and Acana are ridiculously calorie dense. Which is fine, but does result in a lot less to be fed per day and I'm not a fan as a vet because it results in dogs being over fed and being overweight. I'd start with whatever the bag recommends and adjust up or down from there.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just wondering about this Orijen food also.

I have just ordered a bag of Orijen senior for my 10.5 year old wonderful greyhound.

He is severely effected by arthritis especially at the moment. The last two weeks have been especially bad. He has had X-rays and they have hopefully ruled out cancer. Although the first vet read a few areas of "irregularity". He went there last week as an emergency when he came to a halt in our favourite off lead woods where he loves to run and roam.

When I went back to my regular vet he seemed confident that it was arthritis in the wrists especially .

Ned has gone from walking around 2hours a day ( over 3 walks) to just a few walks under 10 mins each. I can see he is struggling and am insanely worried.

He is resting lot, on medication.

Just think that origin senior , being grain free and such a quality food help him.

Any thoughts on this ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just wondering about this Orijen food also.

I have just ordered a bag of Orijen senior for my 10.5 year old wonderful greyhound.

He is severely effected by arthritis especially at the moment. The last two weeks have been especially bad. He has had X-rays and they have hopefully ruled out cancer. Although the first vet read a few areas of "irregularity". He went there last week as an emergency when he came to a halt in our favourite off lead woods where he loves to run and roam.

When I went back to my regular vet he seemed confident that it was arthritis in the wrists especially .

Ned has gone from walking around 2hours a day ( over 3 walks) to just a few walks under 10 mins each. I can see he is struggling and am insanely worried.

He is resting lot, on medication.

Just think that origin senior , being grain free and such a quality food help him.

Any thoughts on this ?

If he continues to limp, it might not be a bad idea to return to the vet for more X-rays.

I have two guys; galgos at 55 lbs each. They each eat about 2.5 cups of Acana daily. One of them is about ten years old.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Rainy

Kala was an Orijen for about 2 years, but I can't remember now how much she ate. However, it never really agreed with her (I'm sure you'll notice if it doesn't with your guy). First poop would be okay...2nd, 3rd poop semi-diarhhea. She did better on Now Adult before I eventually switched to raw.

Fat greyhounds make me angry.

Like this!

Edited by Rainy

So after several weeks at 4 cups a day (nearly double the recommended) Honor is down to his racing weight. He looks great, tons of energy. So much for the recommended amount - it's not even close to what he needs.

However with more food comes more output and the later poos are a bit softer. Still mostly well formed. We'll stick with this for the time being. Love the convenience compared to raw.

Edited by KickReturn

Hi,

Interesting to read the above. Especially Kick return also. The recommended amount seems so low. I did have Ned weighed at the vets a week in. So we'll see after a month. However he is looking great, albeit more hungry . With the reduced exercise due to the recent arthirtis flare up, I am more than anxious than ever for him to be his usual healthy weight. Whilst trying to comprehend how calorie dense the food is, and avoid overfeeding.

I will monitor the limping although thankfully after what feels like forever. There a bright light in the sky (recent sunshine) and hopefully sunnier times afoot :gh_bow

likewise will stick to this food in the hope that its even half as good as the reviews :)

Guest Nacho

Champion Pet Foods (Orijen, ACANA) are very expensive. Look at the top 10 ingredients and see what you are paying for; animal protein. If you look at all the competitors across the board the majority of the top ingredients contain vegetable protein. Potato's, rice, peas, beans, beet pulp....and the list goes on. That's why you are feeding twice as much of plant based food. Because the Orijen food is so nutrient dense less needs to be fed and the more expensive food lasts longer.

My 75 LB greyt loves the six fish along with lamb/beef lung as treats. Awesome coat and solid poops. I don't have time for raw. He is definitely worth the extra money I spend on the food.

Whole atlantic mackerel, whole atlantic herring, whole atlantic flounder, whole acadian redfish, atlantic monkfish, whole silver hake, mackerel meal, herring meal, blue whiting meal, herring oil, whole green peas, whole navy beans, whole red lentils, alaskan cod meal, pollock meal, sunflower oil, whole yellow peas, whole pinto beans, whole chickpeas, whole green lentils, lentil fiber, natural fish flavor, safflower oil, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, kale, spinach, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, dried kelp, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, zinc proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

Edited by Nacho

Back in 2000, when I got my 9 week old grey pup,I fed him a plant baded dry diet. When he was about 1-1/2 years old, he began loosing the hair on his hind quarters. I discovered EVO by Innova, one of the first meat based, RAW-like dry foods. Within two months, the hair had returned and his muscles got more defined. I eventually transitioned him over to about 90% raw. This was back when raw was extremely controversial, at least in the US.

This Friday, we are finally getting another grey. He will be transitioned over to a meat-based dry, with raw meaty bones to suppliment. I'm amazed, and grateful, at how many commercial raw diets, or meat-based dry foods are now out on the market today!

Back in 2000, when I got my 9 week old grey pup,I fed him a plant based dry diet. When he was about 1-1/2 years old, he began loosing the hair on his hind quarters. I discovered EVO by Innova, one of the first meat based, RAW-like dry foods. Within two months, the hair had returned and his muscles got more defined. I eventually transitioned him over to about 90% raw. This was back when raw was extremely controversial, at least in the US.

This Friday, we are finally getting another grey. He will be transitioned over to a meat-based dry, with raw meaty bones to suppliment. I'm amazed, and grateful, at how many commercial raw diets, or meat-based dry foods are now out on the market today!

Back in 2000, when I got my 9 week old grey pup,I fed him a plant based dry diet. When he was about 1-1/2 years old, he began loosing the hair on his hind quarters. I discovered EVO by Innova, one of the first meat based, RAW-like dry foods. Within two months, the hair had returned and his muscles got more defined. I eventually transitioned him over to about 90% raw. This was back when raw was extremely controversial, at least in the US.

Repeating a bit what Zoomdoggie said above. I am amazed and grateful for the meat based dry foods that are on the market. And that I am currently in a position to buy it for my insanely loved nearly 11 year greyhound. It was a real eye opener for me recently when learning what went into a lot of foods both cat&dogs. People buying expensive kibbles from vets for example(a transaction of trust it appears) and no idea that the first ingredient was corn or some other non suitable substance. For a while I bought a kibble that I was aware wasn't "the best" but it was only an add on to chicken, red meat, fish veg, rice,pasta, the list goes on.... But during a really bad flare up of arthiritis recently and the horrifying fear that something more sinister ( osteo) may be on the horizon i looked deeply into the food. So for now it Orijen. Yes i know it won't reverse any existing condition :) By nature i am very sceptical but was shocked to see on so many similarly expensive brands, printed there. A list of shame. Who would willingly feed their cat "maize, corn" as a main ingredient.

I better stop there :chow before i really get going. Sometimes we are all restricted in choices by budget/what available,but getting swizzed and paying top dollar for some of those "vet recommended" food. yes.. it was an eye opener.

• 2 weeks later...

Repeating a bit what Zoomdoggie said above. I am amazed and grateful for the meat based dry foods that are on the market. And that I am currently in a position to buy it for my insanely loved nearly 11 year greyhound. It was a real eye opener for me recently when learning what went into a lot of foods both cat&dogs. People buying expensive kibbles from vets for example(a transaction of trust it appears) and no idea that the first ingredient was corn or some other non suitable substance. For a while I bought a kibble that I was aware wasn't "the best" but it was only an add on to chicken, red meat, fish veg, rice,pasta, the list goes on.... But during a really bad flare up of arthiritis recently and the horrifying fear that something more sinister ( osteo) may be on the horizon i looked deeply into the food. So for now it Orijen. Yes i know it won't reverse any existing condition :) By nature i am very sceptical but was shocked to see on so many similarly expensive brands, printed there. A list of shame. Who would willingly feed their cat "maize, corn" as a main ingredient.

I better stop there :chow before i really get going. Sometimes we are all restricted in choices by budget/what available,but getting swizzed and paying top dollar for some of those "vet recommended" food. yes.. it was an eye opener.

My first grey could only eat a raw diet. A range of meat and bone and a vitamin supplement. My current grey was on Origin and started having occasional diarrhea so the vet suggest Purina Pro Pan EN Gastroenteric. The protein is from chicken meal and the rest is corn. But the dog is doing great. Very consistent digestion, small well formed bowel movements, no gas, all other health measures seem perfect as far as I can tell. The lesson: dogs are individuals and some can thrive on kibble with ingredients that seem logically inappropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

our grey was always a picky eater, and he really liked orijen. I myself appreciate that there is no corn present and that first ingredients are meat protein. I believe that corn can increase a risk of bloat.

My opinion is that it's important what we feed our dogs to keep them healthy for years to come. of course I'm not kidding myself that all health problems can be avoided by doing this. unfortunately that's impossible - that's same with us people

oh and I also wanted to add, that according to guidelines on the orijen bag of food, the amount of course depends on the amount of activity, but:

for 66lb dog it was 2 3/4 for active and 2 cups for less active dog

for 88lb dog it was 3 1/2 for active and 2 1/3 cups for less active dog

We fed ours 2-3 cups a day and, we left it up to him. Because it worked for all of us, we fed him 3 times/day 1 cup each time. However some days he didn't want the last cup at dinner time and 2 cups were enough. he regulated his weight himself. Then there were other days when he would ask for more after the last cup and would get on average 1/2 cup more. So there you go. I always though of it that it's like me, sometimes I'm more hungry and sometimes less...

oh and for a reference, he was 75lb male