Nose Drainage

my 11yo male greyhound who was seemingly healthy with minor joint issues (due to a heavy racing career in his younger years) has developed a unilateral nose drainage-left- which has been off and on for 6 months. He had a course of antibiotics-(Cipro) 5 months ago but has continued to have clear to pussy looking yellow-green mucus. The vet sedated him and looked in his nose for a foreign body-didn't see much-he ends reverse sneezes often and drips mucus now every day but still enjoys his walks and eats fine. We now just started on a 2nd couse of antibiotics-Keflex-does this sound like a tumor? Our vet said it could be this or a bony sequestrum due to previous trauma-ANY IDEAS-thanks

I've not experienced these myself, but some have had issues with a specific kind of mite that infects the nasal tissue. I think they can test for it relatively easily but you have to know that's what your lookng for. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Some other things to consider: Did the first round of ABs help at all? If so, you may just need to give them longer. Also, you should probably culture the puss to see what specific AB the infection will respond to the best. Have you done xrays? Has your vet suggested a CT scan? If it *is* a tumor, how, if at all, would you change your treatment? Also something to look for is a deep, upper molar tooth abcess. They can break through into the nasal cavity sometimes. Has he had a dental lately?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm not a vet, nor do I know your region. Your hound's unilateral nasal problem might be different (growth, fungal, bacterial, etc.), but one of our hounds suffered terribly with reverse sneezing and nasal discharge for many months. After seeing multiple vets and initial treatments didn't work, I diagnosed her symptoms through the source below. Turned out to be nasal mites.Treatment series listed on same page worked perfectly. Ten years later and still no recurrence. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/respiratory-system/respiratory-diseases-of-small-animals/canine-nasal-mites

Perhaps a slim possibility, but since your boy's sneezing started months ago, I'll mention that foxtail grass awns can enter and disturb the nasal passage cause infection, and continue traveling more deeply into the body. https://www.petcarerx.com/article/why-foxtails-and-dogs-dont-mix/1236

Good luck and please let us know whenever your boy's diagnosis is determined.

FYI, MOST 11 year old dogs have "minor joint issues." Don't blame it on his career. Also, I find it highly improbaby that "previous trauma" would manifest in a dog at the age of 11.

I agree with having the discharge cultured. It could be a lot of things. I hope you find out and your boy feels better soon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

thanks for all the input; I hadn't thought of nasal mites but our other greyhound who is 7 going on 8yrs hasn't had any symptoms and so if it's contagious I guess that makes mites less likely; we are going to do a longer course of the Keflex and then see I guess; as he is older we definitely wouldn't want to put him through surgery and radiation Oz is his name by the way and he is a wizard-he can open doors and knows dozens of words

thanks for all the input; I hadn't thought of nasal mites but our other greyhound who is 7 going on 8yrs hasn't had any symptoms and so if it's contagious I guess that makes mites less likely...

Just thought I'd add that we had a pack of hounds in the house while only one hound was suffering terribly from nasal mites. Fortunately, the nasal mites never spread to the other hounds during the many months of trying to learn her diagnosis.

I'd agree with culturing Oz's discharge (and if needed, other tests too). Hope the Keflex resolves the problem!

Oz seems to be a smart boy! :)