Starting A Raw Diet

Guest nicola

Hello humans and hounds!

I'm starting Merlin on a raw diet and wanted to run it past you lot just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

So, I'm ordering this from DAF. 14 1lb minces which (according to the info) is a minced mix of 80:10:10 muscle offal and bone. According to the info I've read I need to give him 1lb per day, so am I correct in thinking this would be a good complete diet to get started with? How essential is it to add in veg as some sources I've seen say they get no nutritional value from veg while others say it's essential.

If the mince has 10% bone already am I still able to give him a bone to chew on every now and again or will that cause issues?

& is it better to just outright give him the raw or do I need to wean him off the Iams?

How much does he weigh? 1 lb per day seems low. He should get 2-3% of his ideal weight. Allie weighs 65 lbs. I feed her 2.5% of her ideal weight (65 lbs) which comes out to 26 ounces or 1.6 lbs per day. Davis weighs 75 lbs. He gets 30 ounces or almost 1.9 lbs per day.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Sorry the link went a bit wrong!

http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/daf-frozen-dog-foods/17-daf-assorted-box-of-meats-20-x-454g-1lb.html

He was 60lbs at his last weigh, how much do you think per day? I can't remember where I got 1lb from but I don't want him going hungry.

At 60 lbs and 2.5% (maintenance), he should get 1.5 lbs per day. That can be divided between however many meals you feed per day. Here is a calculator I like:

http://perfectlyrawsome.com/pmr-barf-dog-cat-raw-feeding-calculators/

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Ah brilliant thank you :D

Does the 1.5 lbs need to be made up of the 80:10:10 ratio of meat or would addins work towards that amount? Like for example I found a blog post (http://greyhoundsinthemist.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/raw-rrrrrr-diet.html) where she makes up a mixture of veg, eggs, yogurt etc so could I feed 1lb of the meat and .5lb of the other stuff?

As long as there are tripe and liver for vitamins, you shouldn't add anything. The 10% offals is quite important and adding 1/3 of its portion in other add-up will diminish that ratio significantly. I wouldn't add anything else. If you ABSOLUTELY want to add veg etc, I would also add offals to replenish that 10% (among which 5% should be liver). Personally, I wouldn't bother :)

As for the bones, yes give away, there might be more consistent poops on days where you give extra bones, but it shouldn't change anything diet-wise if it stays occasional treats.

Don't wean off, just change cold turkey, it is a different digestion rate for kibbles and raw. :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I use this calculator to make sure the feeding amount is appropriate for the weight.

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

80:10:10 should be perfect. If the meal you are serving only has meat and no veg, while I think that's ok, I have learned from experience that some veg actually is essential to the diet. For instance, I was relieved to know that kelp and spinach were in the dinners I was giving Kasey as he was going through chemo and the iron in the kelp and spinach would help his platelets. So that's one reason why I like adding a bit of veg. I also add in some carbs now and again, I serve the meal on a bed of rice or pasta. I have also put on a big dollop of yogurt on top, although I don't do it regularly. I also feed supplements/vitamins, but do you have to do this? Perhaps not. I think a diet like this really is complete, but it gives me better piece of mind to add some omega, or joint supplements.

You can feed bone as a treat to knaw and chew on without a problem. You will find that the meat mix will probably go down too easily, so chewing on a bone or a treat will help clean the teeth!

Switch to raw cold turkey, just like that. :) No weaning necessary.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I wouldn't add anything at first, let him get used to his new diet, then you can start tinkering :) Finding out what he likes, doesn't like and adjust the amount a bit, up or down, as needed. For example, my Conner is 80lbs and gets just under a pound, twice a day. Val, who weighs 70lbs gets almost as much, but she is younger and more active.The mix I buy has veggies in it, but I have fed raw without veg in the past and it is just fine. Tripe is a great add in, once you get past the smell. That looks like a great company, very high quality food!

That mix looks pretty good. I would stick to that for a few weeks just to see how your pup does (I have switched several dogs over cold turkey and they have all loved it and had firm poops right away...also if your pup is a retired racer he is probably used to raw meat).

I don't believe veggies are essential, but you can add them if you want...either occasional leftovers from your meal or pureed (whole or shredded raw veggies will not be digested). I would add an omega for sure...either fish oil or tinned fish (I like sardines in spring water). I do a herring oil and give sardines 2-3 times per week (as well as eggs).

Most raw diets are slightly deficient in iodine as they don't contain all of the organs and glands of an actual prey animal. A lot of people add a bit of kelp or iodized salt (do NOT overdue it though as that can be just as bad). 1/4 tsp per day is max for a large dog.

Other than the omega and kelp, I don't think you have to add anything else, depending on your pup and how fancy you want to get...lol.

Here's my pup's meals tonight...only a dog would love this, but your pup will be in heaven. :P

HPIM4521_zpsfpfugaus.jpg

Edited by RedHead