One Grey Is Overweight, The Other Grey Is Underweight

Guest kmyers64

Guest kmyers64

We have been free-feeding since we got our first grey 6 years ago. We added a second grey and continued to free feed with no issues. We lost our second grey and adopted our 3rd two years ago. Finn (age 10 yrs) started losing weight (no health issues have been found..but now think it may be dental). We've been adding canned food to the dry to make it more appealing to eat. Finn is slowly putting the weight back on, but now Holly (age 5) has gotten too heavy.

Finn is the alpha and always gets to the food first. We put out two bowls, but Holly refuses to eat while he is. Because he eats first, we assumed we could "fatten" him up without any change to Holly. Obviously, this isn't working. Because he could get food anytime, he wasn't always eating when it was first put out and Holly was eating way too much. Yesterday I fed them in different rooms and watched Finn, he only ate about half. I took it away and put it out for him again a couple hours later and he finished it. Holly scarfed hers down and moped around the house, jumping up anytime she thought someone was headed to the kitchen.

I'm assuming it will just take a bit of time for them to adjust to the new feeding method, but any advise would be helpful. Also, any ideas on how to add calories to Finn's food and bulk to Holly's food would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I free feed my three greys during the day but added dinner (raw with vegetables, spices? and oil). When Colin got older - he is 12 now, he started losing weight and I also added breakfast just for him.

He now gets two meals per day and the bowls with kibbles which are out all day and Andy and Paddy have the kibble and dinner in the evening.

I also feed rice bran oil which helps to build up muscle mass. My physiotherapist said Colin is thin but his muscles are very good for his age.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Substitute some of Holly's kibble with green beans. Continue with designated feeding times.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think you've answered your own question. Do scheduled feedings, separate bowls, separate rooms. Put the appropriate food for each down, then pick it up after 30 minutes. Don't give it back until the next feeding time. (2 or 3 per day is standard). Make a schedule. They'll settle into an appropriate eating pattern. I have NOTHING against free-feeding, but it's not for all dogs. Your lackluster eater will probably perk up to eating when it's on a schedule, and your food-hound will adapt.

As far as weight-food. Add fatty ground beef. For filler for the chow-hound, green beans and rice. Or - more calorie dense, and calorie-less food. What do you feed? You might want 2 different brands. I had a foster that was the WORST food-hound ever. So - I finally gave up and put him on a cheaper food, and fed him more. More poop, but he got to eat more volume. Just a suggestion.

agreed with separate feedings, controlled spaces. the foods might need to be altered, that's up to you. i know it's a pita to serve 2 different brands,(over weight kibble for the chow hound, it's usually 100 calories a cup less) but it's really not that bad. green beans are a good healthy filler.