5Y/o Favoring Hind Right Paw On Snow

Guest czythought

Guest czythought

Hi all,

I got my sweet 5 y/o girl about two months ago so I am still learning.

We have had our first big snow up here in MN. Occasionally when we are walking (short lazy potty walks mostly right now) she seems like she doesn't want to put weight on her back right paw and will occasionally hop a few steps without putting it down. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she walks normally inside. Is there something I should look for on her paw or something I should put on it? There aren't any obvious cuts/wounds/abrasions but I haven't looked between her toes too thoroughly.

She fell off the couch a few days ago (she does this often.... rolls over off of it) and maybe she pulled her leg?

Any advice?

Thanks!

I'd give booties a go if you can. I buy rather affordable and disposable Pawz (size purple). Ryder can only go around the corner and back when its cold with snow and salt, but with little booties can walk for much longer periods. Some are just more tolerable with cold on their feets than others. I know I wouldn't wanna go bare foot! :) If she isn't favouring it in the house, than it's likely just outside and she's cold.

Enjoy your new pup.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My Phoebe always holds her right rear leg up when going outside in the cold/snow. I think it's because that was the one she broke (which ended her career and got her her beloved couch :lol). She only does it when it's very cold and/or snowy.

Couldyour dog have broken that leg in the past?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Both my greys do this and the Pawz booties (as mentioned above) have solved the problem. They get snow/salt on the pads of their feet, and sometimes little snow balls in the hair between the pads that causes them to hop and even to lay down and lick their feet. The first time I put the Pawz on, they didn't like them but I put them on immediately before walking out the door so they couldn't fool with them. They got used to them quickly and now seem to know that they are going for a walk whenever I get the booties.

Guest czythought

My Phoebe always holds her right rear leg up when going outside in the cold/snow. I think it's because that was the one she broke (which ended her career and got her her beloved couch :lol). She only does it when it's very cold and/or snowy.

Couldyour dog have broken that leg in the past?

It's possible although it isn't in her medical records. Maybe she broke a toe or something in the past... who knows.

I'd give booties a go if you can. I buy rather affordable and disposable Pawz (size purple). Ryder can only go around the corner and back when its cold with snow and salt, but with little booties can walk for much longer periods. Some are just more tolerable with cold on their feets than others. I know I wouldn't wanna go bare foot! :) If she isn't favouring it in the house, than it's likely just outside and she's cold.

Enjoy your new pup.

Thank you! I will give those a try.

I am in Minnesota too. Allie and Davis limp after just a minute or two in this cold. They love their fleece-lined Muttluks. They even stand completely still, side-by-side for me to put them on.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

I am in Minnesota too. Allie and Davis limp after just a minute or two in this cold. They love their fleece-lined Muttluks. They even stand completely still, side-by-side for me to put them on.

We have MuttLuks too, but I only put those on when it's REALLY cold. Both MuttLuks and Pawz have their pros and cons.

I find though that MuttLuks aren't the best for when a sudden patch of snow requires the urge to be jumped into! The snow piles in and the boot just falls right off no matter how tight they get strapped down. The purple Pawz are really great for quick outs and withstand the snow jump urges. Ryder also often pees on his foot, so I found they are easier to just rinse than the MuttLuks.

Proudly owned by:

Her foot is cold.

Most dogs respond very well if you just rub their paw and give it a kiss and say, "OK, you're fine, let's go!"

As the vast majority of dogs in the country walk around in the winter barefoot, I think it is safe to say greyhounds don't actually need boots.

Yeah, sure, if you want the hassel of putting them on, picking them up when they fall off, taking them off, by all means. But they don't need them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's possible that she has an old injury (even a sprain or pulled muscle), that's completely healed but just "aches" in the cold. Do you notice the limp only on snow, or when it's cold with no snow too? Just a thought.

Lots of dogs do go without booties. Lots of dogs wear them. Some love them, some hate them. Try different things and see what works for you. Every household, outside situation, and dog is different.

One Snow-related thing I will give you a tip about, cuz I learned it on my own and had never heard about it before. Bewared of deep Crunchy-top snow. You know what I mean, you get a foot of snow, all nice and squishy, fun to walk and play in. Then it warms then freezes and there's a hard layer on top of the snow. Greyhound legs go right through it - (small surface area feet). But - the crunchy layer can actually cut their legs. Nothing traumatic, but scratches. It's weird to see the first time. No hair to protect those skinny legs. Just a heads- up of something you may encounter. Try to stay on the sidewalk when there's crunchy-top snow! (Pennsylvania here - not snow like you get in MN, but enough).

Edited by sobesmom

Guest czythought

Her foot is cold.

Most dogs respond very well if you just rub their paw and give it a kiss and say, "OK, you're fine, let's go!"

As the vast majority of dogs in the country walk around in the winter barefoot, I think it is safe to say greyhounds don't actually need boots.

Yeah, sure, if you want the hassel of putting them on, picking them up when they fall off, taking them off, by all means. But they don't need them.

I am really only concerned about the paw she favors. If I can make it hurt less in the snow, I will.

It's possible that she has an old injury (even a sprain or pulled muscle), that's completely healed but just "aches" in the cold. Do you notice the limp only on snow, or when it's cold with no snow too? Just a thought.

Lots of dogs do go without booties. Lots of dogs wear them. Some love them, some hate them. Try different things and see what works for you. Every household, outside situation, and dog is different.

One Snow-related thing I will give you a tip about, cuz I learned it on my own and had never heard about it before. Bewared of deep Crunchy-top snow. You know what I mean, you get a foot of snow, all nice and squishy, fun to walk and play in. Then it warms then freezes and there's a hard layer on top of the snow. Greyhound legs go right through it - (small surface area feet). But - the crunchy layer can actually cut their legs. Nothing traumatic, but scratches. It's weird to see the first time. No hair to protect those skinny legs. Just a heads- up of something you may encounter. Try to stay on the sidewalk when there's crunchy-top snow! (Pennsylvania here - not snow like you get in MN, but enough).

I only noticed her limp when it started snowing but it also went from really fair weather --> snow in a matter of days so we didn't have much only-cold-no-snow time.

I think it is an injury. The other day she cried for the first time while we were outside. It was really scary and she wouldnt move she just shrieked...

So now we go outside for about 2 minutes. I tried putting a knee high sock on her + rubber pawz bootie and that seems to help but its also a pain in the ass to put on and keep on so I ordered a couple mushing dog booties to see if that works better for that foot.

Like I said, Phoebe only favors that leg in the really cold weather. I am sure it's because it was previously broken. It never slows her down at all other than her holding it up in the cold.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Old injuries can certainly hurt more when it's cold outside. Looks like you've been able to notice a trend due to your momma senses! Gentle scritches. Are considering any pain meds? Hope she's feeling better!

Proudly owned by:

Guest czythought

Old injuries can certainly hurt more when it's cold outside. Looks like you've been able to notice a trend due to your momma senses! Gentle scritches. Are considering any pain meds? Hope she's feeling better!

I don't think so. Since it's only happening in cold we will just do short outside ventures and wait for warmer weather. She is fine the second she goes inside so I wouldn't want pain meds for 2 minutes of discomfort.