Guest FordRacingRon

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you and your wife.

So so hard :( .

Be kind to yourselves for some time.

Everyone is different. For me, I have had to ask myself over and over and over again, "Would you rather not have known this dog at all?" And of course the answer is "no" but it takes time for things to smooth out again.

She had an exceptional life with you, beyond anything a dog could dream of.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Everyone of our greys died unexpectantly without warning within hours so i understand the pain. Time is not the great healer of pain, rather time allows us to adapt to life without them. Grief can be a long lonely painful journey. Hopefully the joy of living with Leia for 11 years will bring you comfort in time.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm lost. I just can't get over how bad the last 3 hours of her life were. So fast. I can't get over holding her head in my arms when she stopped breathing. I fell like my heart has been torn out. I'm too old to be crying like a baby.

Don't dwell on those three hours, rejoice in the past 11 years that she spent with you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FordRacingRon

Today, so far, I have heard her 3 times and seen her once. The weird thing is I heard her panting one of those times,,and so did my DW,,but we were in different rooms.

Ron and Ann, signs are whatever we need them to be. Take the signs you've seen today as Leia saying farewell and not to worry about her.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so sorry that Leia had to leave you and for the gaping hole it has left in your family. It is always hard to lose a pet, but it sounds like her last hours were particularly difficult. I'm very glad that you and your wife were there to comfort her and help her during those hours. Your wife should not blame herself. It sounds like Leia was living on borrowed time and imagine how much worse it would have been for her if she had bumped something when you were away and she had to struggle thru those last hours without your loving pressence.

I am so very sorry for your loss. So sad and tragic. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

So very sorry for the loss of your Leia.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. What a horrible series of events.

I too agree with Batmom--Leia probably fell because of her physical condition. It was not your wife's fault. I've had three dogs with similar symptoms, and all moved like drunks, sometimes far faster than was safe.

Godspeed Leia.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Ron, I am very sorry.

Run free Leia, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh NO!!!!!!!! I admit I was crushed when I saw it was Leia in the Remembrance forum. :weep She has always been one of my GT favorites. Will never forget her winning the Animal Planet Biggest Sports Fan Contest! I know the utter devastating shock at such a sudden crossing over of one that had just seconds before been perfectly fine. And I must share with you a lesson that my soul mate Slim taught me when he suddenly crossed. And it is this: You, your wife, the vet, NOBODY has any control over when they leave. Some people try to believe they do but they don't. Many people feel guilty and imagine things they could have or could not have done etc. When it is their time they leave and there is nothing any of us can do about it. Nor is there any reason for anyone to feel guilty or responsible for it. If it didn't happen the way it did it would have happened another way but it would have happened. All you can really do right now is grieve. That is fitting and right. Perhaps Leia will send you a sign at some point that she is truly OK albeit not in body with you anymore. I send love and hugs to you and your wife and will pray for you. The love between you and Leia will NEVER die. Even death is not strong enough to kill it. It is energy. Powerful loving energy that cannot be destroyed. And never forget love-Leia's and her family's- is the most powerful force in the entire universe. Hugs. :grouphug

:f_red:f_red:f_pink:f_red:f_red:gh_lay

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality." ~ Emily Dickinson

You can’t see anything properly while your eyes are blurred w/ tears. C.S.Lewis

“For love is as strong as death….

Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.”
Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Today, so far, I have heard her 3 times and seen her once. The weird thing is I heard her panting one of those times,,and so did my DW,,but we were in different rooms.

That IS her. She is trying to tell you she is OK so you don't suffer so horribly with grief. Knowing you guys situation I suspected she might. Its OK. Take a deep breath. See Leia was far more than the greyhound you loved. She (and you) are really spirit. The Leia you love-the real Leia- was and is spirit. Only her body died. I know -believe me I went through the same thing- that it is tough to grasp such concepts sometimes. But it is real and whats more it is explainable if you wish to delve that far into the energy of quantum mechanics. When they send signs many times they will do it in such a way that you cannot easily explain it away. They know us. They want us to know that it is really them. They can be very ingenious about how they do that. Hence you and your wife both hearing her in different rooms. In time you will find great comfort receiving her signs and you will come to know she really is with you still.

Honestly I would have to write a book to share the amazing marvelous and LOVING communique's from my bridge children. They know what we need and just because they have crossed over does not mean that they are going to stop loving and taking care of us. Only their body died-their spirit-the part of them we loved and that is them-is fine. Actually I do even keep a personal log called "Signs" of many such events because they are so marvelous and comforting. It started out for my soul mate Slim but has since expanded to include communications from several other bridge babies. They deliberately make their visits unmistakable so we know they are real. They know how in our grief and our culture that is not attuned to such, that we may try to discount the truth that they actually did visit.

Sometimes an animal on earth will allow their spirit to enter and they will visit via another animal. You will always recognize this as you will recognize Leia's energy-kindred spirits know each other. Don't be afraid to "challenge" Leia by saying you need her to make sure it is an unmistakable sign-something unique to you 2 etc- so you will know for sure its validity. They don't mind at all -they still understand us possibly better than we understand ourselves-and are quite capable of responding.

But I have found that Slim is with me all the time just as much if not more than he was when he was here in his earth suit. I was so completely devastated when he crossed over. I just couldn't move forward anymore-until he taught me from the other side that he is still with me. I am a fairly religious person and honestly God spoke to me during that time and told me that Slim didn't die-that only his body did-but that Slim was OK. I have found this to be true. He has sent me special signs ever since he crossed over and anytime I feel the need for reassurance I'll ask for another and he'll send it. Yeah he's in the spirit world and I'm still in the earth world but who cares? We can still be together. We are all spirit beings. I didn't fall in love with his body. I fell in love with him-the real him-his spirit. In fact I have learned and other dogs have told me that you have more "power" in the spirit world. Slim has shown me this too. I don't understand the details of all this. I think it has something to do with love being energy and therefore it can't be destroyed etc. But I don't need to know how/details. That it is true is all I need to know.

I don't think our human mind is capable of understanding and explaining everything. In fact I think that the heart knows what the mind can't understand.

I greatly enjoy Slim's "picture straightening game" he started in 2006 after he crossed and it is still going on. Slim moves and makes his canvas picture crooked, and then I re-straighten it and then he makes it crooked again. He picked the picture that rest against molding so that there is no way it could move on its own-he wants me to know that it is definitely 'supernatural' and that he is still playing with me as he always did. And then sometimes he will even make a 2nd and /or 3rd one crooked as well - a nice touch for sure! Slim has an awesome sense of humor.

So enjoy Leia's visits. Remain open minded-include and acknowledge her- and I am sure she will guide you and your wife through this. :grouphug

"You are racked and torn by the pain of our separation and it blinds you to that which is right in front of you...me.

I want you to do me a favor and go back in time with me. Remember the glorious day I came to you - was I not the most intriguing creature you'd ever met? Did I not make you laugh and giggle? Did I not look at you with such adoration that you wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of your life with me? I wanted this too.

Remember the days when I was in my prime and we did many things together. You were so proud of me! I was a good friend and I took care of you. When you didn't have a lot of time for me because of your obligations, I waited patiently for you. I was always there when you needed me. Did I not look at you with such acceptance and patience that perhaps at times you felt a bit unworthy? You were never unworthy in my eyes. I couldn't get enough of you.

Remember the last time we saw each other with earthly eyes. You tried to be brave. I know you so well, better than anyone else in the world. Did I not look at you with such pure trust and love that you yearned only to hold me close and keep me with you always? Did you not promise that you would love me forever? I believed you.

Remember the depth of love in my eyes when I looked at you. Who created this love? Would the Creator diminish the song of our laughter that grew and flourished in this love? I am no longer an earthly figure, this is true. My body was only part of who I really am and it would have been but a mere shell on earth if it were not filled to overflowing with my soul, my spirit and my loving light. When we met you thought I was a beautiful greyhound. What kind of relationship would we have had if this were all that I'd been? How could you have loved me if I'd had no spiritual substance?

You cry because you miss me, this I understand. I miss you too - I miss the belly rubs, hugs and kisses that we shared. But life does go on beyond these wonderful, fulfilling physical connections. I came to this place to continue on in a new life, not because I didn't love you anymore or because I wanted something better. I came here because it was time for me to go to the next phase of my existence, something all living creatures must do eventually. It is the normal progression of life. I was not taken away from you because you cannot take away that which was never owned. My presence in your life was and is a gift to be cherished and honored just as I cherish and honor you.

….when I took leave of my earthly body I left a little something behind for you. You can't touch it, hold it or examine it, for what I left behind is far too uninhibited for confinement. I left in your tender care a piece of my soul. I placed it right next to your own which is quite fitting as we were always side by side in our earthly life together. I love you too much to have left you with nothing but memories that tend to fade and grow cloudy as the years go by. I love you too much to have vanished without a trace. How selfish it would be of me to remove love and light from your life.

I understand your tears, each one you shed is testament to your love for me and I am honored and humbled. But don't forget the good things we shared - remember and smile. This is an honor for me as well. When you need me I will be here. Close your eyes, relax, take slow, deep breaths and picture me in your mind. Shut off the world and your notions of what you think death is and give me a chance. Look for the subtle signs I send you. Don't stop being proud of me, I am a friend to be proud of, I am still your friend and soul mate. Don't memorialize the death of my body but instead honor and celebrate my never-ending life for it is eternal and forever as is my love for you.

Until we meet again..."

Heart Strings

A flutter races through my heart
like wings of butterflies
it pulls ever so lightly
stinging tears come to my eyes.

An old familiar feeling
like a memory tucked so deep
it stays forever with me
it is mine alone to keep.

Four precious paws from heaven
did encompass me forever
and with woven strings of angel dust
tied our hearts together.

The final breath was taken
the last heartbeat echoed faint
a loving tug on heart strings
was felt through storms of pain.

This tug was but a message
that was heard yet left unspoken
assurance through the hurtful loss
the bond would not be broken.

As wings of angels whisper
and the chimes begin to sing,

our mighty bond grows stronger
with the tug of our heart strings.

Guest FordRacingRon

That IS her. She is trying to tell you she is OK so you don't suffer so horribly with grief. Knowing you guys situation I suspected she might. Its OK. Take a deep breath. See Leia was far more than the greyhound you loved. She (and you) are really spirit. The Leia you love-the real Leia- was and is spirit. Only her body died. I know -believe me I went through the same thing- that it is tough to grasp such concepts sometimes. But it is real and whats more it is explainable if you wish to delve that far into the energy of quantum mechanics. When they send signs many times they will do it in such a way that you cannot easily explain it away. They know us. They want us to know that it is really them. They can be very ingenious about how they do that. Hence you and your wife both hearing her in different rooms. In time you will find great comfort receiving her signs and you will come to know she really is with you still.

Honestly I would have to write a book to share the amazing marvelous and LOVING communique's from my bridge children. They know what we need and just because they have crossed over does not mean that they are going to stop loving and taking care of us. Only their body died-their spirit-the part of them we loved and that is them-is fine. Actually I do even keep a personal log called "Signs" of many such events because they are so marvelous and comforting. It started out for my soul mate Slim but has since expanded to include communications from several other bridge babies. They deliberately make their visits unmistakable so we know they are real. They know how in our grief and our culture that is not attuned to such, that we may try to discount the truth that they actually did visit.

Sometimes an animal on earth will allow their spirit to enter and they will visit via another animal. You will always recognize this as you will recognize Leia's energy-kindred spirits know each other. Don't be afraid to "challenge" Leia by saying you need her to make sure it is an unmistakable sign-something unique to you 2 etc- so you will know for sure its validity. They don't mind at all -they still understand us possibly better than we understand ourselves-and are quite capable of responding.

But I have found that Slim is with me all the time just as much if not more than he was when he was here in his earth suit. I was so completely devastated when he crossed over. I just couldn't move forward anymore-until he taught me from the other side that he is still with me. I am a fairly religious person and honestly God spoke to me during that time and told me that Slim didn't die-that only his body did-but that Slim was OK. I have found this to be true. He has sent me special signs ever since he crossed over and anytime I feel the need for reassurance I'll ask for another and he'll send it. Yeah he's in the spirit world and I'm still in the earth world but who cares? We can still be together. We are all spirit beings. I didn't fall in love with his body. I fell in love with him-the real him-his spirit. In fact I have learned and other dogs have told me that you have more "power" in the spirit world. Slim has shown me this too. I don't understand the details of all this. I think it has something to do with love being energy and therefore it can't be destroyed etc. But I don't need to know how/details. That it is true is all I need to know.

I don't think our human mind is capable of understanding and explaining everything. In fact I think that the heart knows what the mind can't understand.

I greatly enjoy Slim's "picture straightening game" he started in 2006 after he crossed and it is still going on. Slim moves and makes his canvas picture crooked, and then I re-straighten it and then he makes it crooked again. He picked the picture that rest against molding so that there is no way it could move on its own-he wants me to know that it is definitely 'supernatural' and that he is still playing with me as he always did. And then sometimes he will even make a 2nd and /or 3rd one crooked as well - a nice touch for sure! Slim has an awesome sense of humor.

So enjoy Leia's visits. Remain open minded-include and acknowledge her- and I am sure she will guide you and your wife through this. :grouphug

Thank you for this,,,I do believe. Last night lying in bed I heard the floor rumble,,the sound it makes when she stands up to move to another room. Maybe she was moving to sleep with me,,,that is usually what she did.

Ron, so very sorry for the sudden traumatic loss of your Princess Leia. I met her several times at Sandy's when I lived in SoCal. Such a sweetie... Know that unforeseen accidents happen so easily with the oldsters, and remember all the love and fun times you shared for many, many years. She knows you and your wife did right by her. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest FordRacingRon

I lost my best friend. Hope you guys don't mind me rambling. BTW,,I have 2 cats and a rabbit,,but that there are 3 pets that could care less if I am here or not. Leia was my velcro dog,,always "helping" me around the house no matter what I did.

My DW and myself decided to get a dog in the new year....i would love a grey but we are going for a shelter mutt. Someone that has no chance,,,Leia taught me to give every animal a chance. HAd she not taught that, I wouldn't have 2 cats and a rabbit people had thrown away like trash.

Your heart will find a path, not healing completely, so that you will always remember Leia with a wee bit less pain as time goes on.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I lost my best friend. Hope you guys don't mind me rambling. BTW,,I have 2 cats and a rabbit,,but that there are 3 pets that could care less if I am here or not. Leia was my velcro dog,,always "helping" me around the house no matter what I did.

My DW and myself decided to get a dog in the new year....i would love a grey but we are going for a shelter mutt. Someone that has no chance,,,Leia taught me to give every animal a chance. HAd she not taught that, I wouldn't have 2 cats and a rabbit people had thrown away like trash.

i have a feeling she will send you the perfect one. :beatheart