Princess Leia 5/6/03 To 12/9/16

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia had eaten dinner and was going out. When coming back in she decided to run right when my DW moved into her path and she (Leia) went down really hard because of her. Crashed her head and splayed her legs out, I had to pick her up. She limped a little but then seemed okay after a bit

She was perfectly fine and about 745 she tried to stand up and her left side wouldn't work and she kept crashing into everything. Right then I thought stroke. So I picked her up an took her out. She wobbly took a pee,,,which is normal with her weak rear end, but seemed to be going to her left and stumbling when trying to walk. Then she couldn't' stand and kept falling to the left. Then she had a speed burst but couldn't turn and went right into our aloe Vera cactus. I had to pull her out.

Brought her in and she couldn't walk anymore and kept falling down and when she tried to stand she fell to the left. She got really hot and started puffing like I had never seen. In real pain.

Finally got her to lie own but he was puffing so hard and trying to get up but couldn't. Then when she pulled her self up at 830 she started releasing her bowls everywhere,,so off to the vet.

Vet said one two things,,either a stroke or a blood clot in her spine from the fall disabling her. But really nothing to be done. He said she coudl be sent to the bridge or keep overnight for watching but still that wouldn't fix the problem.

My DW is pretty sure she killed Leia by causing her to crash. I think the crash killed her but it's like any old person that falls. Pretty much that is the end for them as it was for her. It was going to happen someday. She was gerting really weak in the rear. I just wanted more time.

I just didn't think today was the last day because she was perfectly fine all day. This entire thing took 3 hours.

Now I have no dog and honestly don't want to even sit in this house right now. She was my best friend for 11 years and now I don't know what to do with myself. I am beyond crushed and can't stop crying.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can't even express my feelings in my limited language skills. I wish you and your wife, who must feel terrible strength for the times to come.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I know it rings hollow but I am sorry for your loss.

Poodle had two stokes and fell over sideways and stumbled like a drunken sailor until I scooped him up and ran to the vet. Bella was just short of 11 when she splayed out in the kitchen. We never determined what that was about but she came in thru the dog door and just flattened.

Again - I'm very sorry and feel your pain. When my first yorkie died I hurt so bad I said "no more dogs ever". A year later I woke up and a voice said "go to the pound" and what was there but a little boy yorkie. You can tell by my signature which doesn't pre internet pups how well that looked out. I am not a religious person but totally believe in the Spirit in the sky. You'll know when it's time. Maybe think about fostering in the meantime if that is possible? That is the hardest piece of the adoption puzzle to fit.

Hugs to you and your wife.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Oh Ron, I'm so sorry for you and your wife. When it happens in such an innocent tragic way...there are no words of consolation. My heart goes out to you.

Leia was a very sweet princess, I had the pleasure of meeting her at Dana's when you were attending a wedding (I think) in Las Vegas.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm truly sorry about your sudden loss of Leia. What a terribly sad, tragic accident. I wish I could help take away your pain. I hope your wife will be able to release feelings of guilt, for her own health and well-being. This seems like a freak accident, no one's fault. (I knew another hound who passed away after sliding hard into a wall. I've heard of other dogs who exhibited a bolt of speed just prior to their passing.)

Leia's crossing touches me in a unique way, perhaps because I've dreaded seeing her name in Remembrance. Your deep love for Leia has been reflected in your posts for many years. She always seemed to be your beloved special companion/family member. I hope, in time, that you will both be able to find some comfort in your happy memories of her. Leia will be remembered fondly on GT. :grouphug

:f_pink

I'm so sorry for your loss. I loved hearing about your girl over the years. Gentle hugs to you and your wife,

Not your wife's fault. Leia probably fell because of what was going on -- her ability to control how she moved was already compromised.

Godspeed, well-loved girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What Batmom said, not your wife's fault. If you can, try to focus on the good times and remember your girl when she smiled, all the fun and loving memories you made together. My heart goes out to you and your family. :grouphug

Godspeed good girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How awful! I'm so very sorry. Please, this was not your wife's fault. It was a tragic accident.

Hugs to both of you. She was a special girl.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Not your wife's fault. Leia probably fell because of what was going on -- her ability to control how she moved was already compromised.

Agreeing what Batmom said as well. Something was going on before the run and crash. Percy nearly left us in a similar way, barely missing a tree but starting to go down.

It's so hard to edit out of one's mind those few seconds of the crash. I hope your wife can close her eyes and see the happy dog that Leia was. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FordRacingRon

I'm lost. I just can't get over how bad the last 3 hours of her life were. So fast. I can't get over holding her head in my arms when she stopped breathing. I fell like my heart has been torn out. I'm too old to be crying like a baby.

This is so sad. In life, accidents happen. We can't prevent them; that's why they are called accidents. I am so sorry for your loss.

We have lost two dogs that were fine in the morning and gone before the end of the day. I understand and feel your pain and sadness.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry for your loss. Run free, Leia. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry for your loss of Leia. I understand how you feel, inconsolable. Let the tears fall, grieve as much and as long as you need to. Try to comfort each other.

Your love goes with Leia as her love stays with you. Rest well sweet girl.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020