Ripped Dewclaw

a_daerr

Wolf tore his dew claw recently. Took him to the vet who tore the rest of the nail out, until just the quick was exposed. She wrapped it and suggested keeping it wrapped for about a week or so. I followed those instructions, but every time I try to take the bandage off, it starts bleeding all over the place (not a gusher, just streaks of blood on the floor and on the dog beds. It's enough that I wrap it again. It sure seems to hurt him, but he lets me put his foot in the bucket and do an epsom salt soak every couple or days. But I can't even tell if it's getting better or worse.

If anyone can take look at these pics and explain to me what I should be looking for...

2071api.jpg

bi41v4.jpg

ndppna.jpg

This is what it looks like when I change the bandage. Still a lot of blood and drainage. Doesn't appear hot or pus-filled.

20krjnk.jpg

At what point do I give up on this song and dance and get the dew claw removed?

I'm no help. I had two ripped declaws removed when they happened.

I wonder if the Epsom salt soaks and constant bandaging are leading to it not healing (sort of along with what Jan said). If you keep a scab wet all the time it won't heal. On my own person owies I've found If I keep them covered and bandaged they take forever to heal. Give them some air and they'll scab up. Another option is to leave it uncovered and slap some EMT Gel (aka "scab in a tube") on it. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen one stay that... juicy (blech)... for so long. What does your vet say?

EMT Gel, or colloidal silver, or honey poultices might be helpful. I mean, it's essentially an open wound that won't heal, right?? If he'd had the dew claw surgically removed, it would be healed by now probably.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What are you putting on it? Is the bandage sticking to it when you pull it off? You need a non stick pad against the foot if you continue to wrap it. I agree that you should leave it open and let it dry up. My Mickey had SLO, and his quicks would dry up much faster when left unwrapped. Try leaving it open for a few days. Maybe try spraying it with Vetericyn several times a day. Good luck!

Ouch, poor Wolfie. I agree with the other posts to leave it uncovered as much as possible and wrap lightly only for trips outside if needed. Seamie had SLO and after a couple days of wrapping immediately after losing the nail, he went unbandaged. At this point I personally would discontinue the epsom soaks and go for trying to dry it out.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm no help. I had two ripped declaws removed when they happened.

I wonder if the Epsom salt soaks and constant bandaging are leading to it not healing (sort of along with what Jan said). If you keep a scab wet all the time it won't heal. On my own person owies I've found If I keep them covered and bandaged they take forever to heal. Give them some air and they'll scab up. Another option is to leave it uncovered and slap some EMT Gel (aka "scab in a tube") on it. :dunno

yup, the soaking is removing the clot. bandage with gauze and tape w/ vet wrap and ignore if he's licking it a lot. if you feel strange about bandaging with out a triple antibiotic ointment, apply once. that too prevents scabbing but one application only delays healing by a short amount of time.

if this makes you feel better felix managed to loose a toe nail- outer rear and it looked the same. less of a bloody stub but it was super sensitive for quite a while and initially he bled like a stuck pig. i clotted it w/ my very favorite- QUICK STOP. i fine EMT gel does bupkhas! it looked like a mess but stopped pooling blood. since felix is such a basket case with bandages i just left it alone, it took a good 6 months to see some nail growing in. now he has a weird curly nail which i keep super short that stands at attention.

just think, if truman did this he would need a bandage from toe to elbow!

Edited by cleptogrey

Hahahahaha, Andrea! That's 100% the truth.

Hmm, I actually feared I wasn't changing his dressings enough. I've rewrapped it three times in two weeks and soaked it twice. I've tried without the bandages, but it starts bleeding again within an hour. Still looks very wet and raw. :(

He's in so much pain from it, he actually GSOD'd and tried to bite me last night. I'll probably just take him back and ask to have it removed. Tracy, can they do that with a local?

check out the anatomy of the dew claw, more surgery than i would like to perform on one of my dogs. what does your vet say? maybe it needs to be cauterized?much cheaper and less invasive than removal. i do remember my vet telling me that if felix's nail bed didn't stop bleeding she could cauterize it. i packed on the quick stop, you know how frugal i am!!

An I seeing that right? Its not just an open sore, but the quick hanging out? I don't understand why they would tear the nail off and leave the quick exposed, sounds horribly painful for him. I'm not one to jump to the surgery option, but in this case I think I'd consider it. Just remove the source of the pain immediately. Poor guy, and poor you. Wounds that won't heal are so frustrating.

In case I'm mistaken and it is just a sore at this point, I will say what worked for me in the end is a product called Trypzyme along with the Epsom salt soaks. Trypzyme is magic as it has a granulating agent. Unfortunately they don't make it any more, but you may be able to find a similar product. Fwiw, the soaks do soften any scab, but I didn't find that detrimental so long as I applied the Trypzyme once it has dried a bit and kept Z from licking. I think it promoted healing and kept away infection.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We keep Clotisol at home to stop bleeding on more involved injuries of this nature. Clotisol can be squirted from afar if dog is feeling too sensitive for wound handling. Clotisol is used for tail docking, etc.

One of our hounds was notorious for ripping off nails and dew claws. They grow back so slowly from that stage, it was easier to keep them dremeled/trimmed much shorter. Agree with stopping soaks, and leaving it open to heal, but try to prevent him from licking it. Good luck.

Clotisol: http://www.entirelypets.com/clotisol2oz.html

Well to answer Jen's question, YES, it is the exposed quick. Here's a pic of what it looked like when it first happened. The quick is just hanging out.

28aki29.png

I called and requested an appointment at the vet. Earliest I can get in is Saturday, unless there's a cancellation.

so, throw a tad of triple antibiotic ointment, put a non-stick gauze pad over the quick, wrap w/ gauze then vet wrap and your good to go. just make sure you have enough room for circulation.you don't have to change the dressing between now and the appointment.

you can check vet wrapped dew claws for coursing and border collies have they wrapped all the time for field work. yes, to google image!

Yeah, poor guy, I would get rid of that. That has to be so painful.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, update please. :)

Oh wow, impressive. So glad it was a simple solution. Hope this is the beginning of the end of it.