Saddle Thrombosis

utopia

Very sorry to hear this--it happens in cats, too, and the result is never good. Hoping you have a good outcome. :goodluck

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I lost my last two greyhounds in great part to this. In May of 2013 a large thrombus was discovered in the aortic trifurcation of my greyhound Nadir when he was brought to Auburn University's College of Veterinary Medicine because of long running unexplained urinary issues. I lost him in March of 2014 after going through diuresis for his kidneys. When I came to pick him up he was fighting to breathe. I do not know if the tech was careless during the diuresis and introduced an air bubble or if the diuresis caused a clot to migrate to his lungs.

My last greyhound Chase was lost to a combination of Osteosarcoma and a large thrombus that was found by Auburn University during his initial examination in preparation for amputation and chemotherapy. The thrombus they found ran from the area of his pancreas to his knee.

I was told that it was the largest single thrombus Auburn had seen. I decided then not to proceed with the amputation and let him go 2 days later.

Looking back it is hard to say how much of Chase's pain was from the thrombus because it was clear from the x-rays of his leg that the osteosarcoma was very advanced when it was finally discovered .

I can say though from my experience with Nadir that it can be extremely painful. He was on a cocktail of pain medications. I was also given syringes with butrenorphine to administer when the pain was at its worse.

I hope your girl fairs better.

Our female, Hollywood, was diagnosed with this in July and is 12 1/2 years old. She is back to taking her half mile walks every night, and even takes short runs in the yard . Holly is taking 3 medications to manage this situation- a pain med, a blood thinner, and a third medication for her protein losing Nephropathy. She has three large clots in the aorta (75% blocked) and another clot down both back legs. She was diagonosed by Gulf Coast Vet. Clinic in Houston.

She is doing very well, but the last few days her appetite is down. She has lost about 5 lbs since July and she now weighs 57 lbs.

Hi,

Very sad to report that my beautiful girl died on Nov. 30. The large blood clot she had moved and blocked blood flow to her femoral arteries. Excruciating pain. I gave her morphine which helped immediately. We got to her vet and that was that.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:bighug to you. Glad you were able to have a little more time with her.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg