Hooks, Need A Protocol That Works Please!

Newtogreys

Hello,

We have hooks and diarrhea and have gone through multiple treatments of Panacur and one treatment of Drontal Plus. Reading through some posts, there seems to be some vets that have put them on long term treatment of Panacur, etc.

Could anyone tell me what your protocol was that finally rid your grey of these vile parasites?

Thanks in advance!

We had to do three or four treatments of Panacur, three weeks apart to finally kick them. Some have needed much longer - as long as 6 months of treatments.

The other thing you need to make sure of is that your dog isn't reinfesting itself by eating dirt or other matter from the yard. Once you have hooks it's pretty much always in your soil. A muzzle with a stool guard should be worn every time your dog goes outside.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Greysmom,

Thanks for your response! The people that had to treat for 6 months, was that every 3 weeks for the full 6 months?

Congrats you were able to kick them! Every two-3 weeks, we have done 5 days of Panacur x3 treatments and one treatment of the Drontral Plus. It's scary how resistant they are!

We pulled 5 dogs from a farm in northwest Florida All in ruff shape. My current foster had 3 rounds of worming including drontal. Still 5+ on testing. We are doing panacur 5 days with Ivermectin . Instructed to do Advantage Multi 2X month. and recheck poop test 12 days. Sadly he tested pos for Bebesia also and doing imidocarb injections . we pulled over 200 ticks off this guy so I'm not surprised

It took us a year to finally get a negative test. We finally cured hooks by doing Strongid-T 5 days in a row, wait 3 weeks, another 5 days, wait 3 weeks, another 5 days, retest after 3 weeks (so 3 rounds of 5 days). Then we retested monthly for 3 months and and then at 6 months.

Thankfully our other greyhound was on a heartworm that also prevented hooks so she never got then. We also scooped poop immediately. I think scooping immediately and winter finally coming helped keep her from being reinfected.

They are persistent little buggers!

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

It took nine long months of every other week treatment with Panacur (Drontal makes Sammy vomit) for us to finally be clear of the nasties. Once we finally were clear, the soft stool cleared. We now do the monthly Interceptor plus daily Olewo carrots and Panacur every four months.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly with Sammy (Where's Mandrill), the happy toy-flinging chow-hound. Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

MandysMom:

Did you have to give the Panacur every other week for the ENTIRE nine months? Did you do 5 days each time? Thanks !

Sorry, I've been away. I did three days of Panacur every other week for nine months. Yes, it was painful and expensive. I usually mix the Panacur in a little peanut butter, because I want him to get it all and there is a chance that he won't get every grain of it in his food bowl.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly with Sammy (Where's Mandrill), the happy toy-flinging chow-hound. Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Hooks can be very hard to get rid of as others have said.

Our group never had much luck with the 3 day, wait 21 days and 3 more days.

We had better luck with 5 days, 21 days then 5 more days.

We have never tried Strongid T. That still needs a vet prescription or purchase it at the vets.

However you can by Panacur over the counter labeled as Safe-Guard. It's the same, but individually packaged. Depending on the dogs weight, you might need to mix and match a couple of different sizes to get the correct amount. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=a981a331-83e0-42f5-bf86-0a5b069cc1f0

You can usually buy this at PetSmart, Petco, etc.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17
diane4114siggy3.jpg

In my experience, clearing a case of persistent hooks is more about timing than the product. Hookworms have a life cycle of 2-3 weeks, and chronically infested dogs often have inactive larvae in their tissues. When you deworm them and get rid of the worms in the intestines, those dormant larvae re-infest the intestines - a phenomenon called larval leak. When I suspect that this is happening, I deworm every 2 weeks with any product that kills hookworms. Pyrantel pamoate (Strongid-T) tends to be the most cost effective. If using a heartworm preventative that treats hookworms, that can also be counted as one of the 2 week doses. So you could just deworm with another product in the middle of the month between doses of heartworm prevention. Using the 2-week protocol, it can still take an extended period to clear hookworms. I usually do a minimum of 3-4 months, and some cases take longer.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Archived