Greyhound Suddenly Refuses To Walk Through Main Door To My Apartment B

Guest hqpcapps

Guest hqpcapps

I've had Henry about 4 months. He is the sweetest dog ever. And generally completely well behaved.

About three weeks ago, I went out of town for work and the pet sitter said he started refusing to come in the main door to my apartment building. She said it would take him about 10 minutes to walk through the door. He has done the same with me ever since as well. He is very hesitant to walk over the threshold of the door. Sometimes he comes in easier than others. The entryway floor is tile and then carpteted stairs. He is fine with every other door way. Its very strange! The door has never slammed on him or anything like that. Could it be the tile?

He just stands outside of the doorway wagging his tail and staring at me. It's very cute but annoying as well. I'm just trying to understand his hestitation? I don't pull on his collar, but after about 5 minutes of waiting and calling him in, I get behind him and nudge him in/ hug him and nudge him through the door. Then he runs up the stairs really quickly.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Something scared him at the door. It could have been something so small that you or the petsitter didn't notice it, but he sure did.

You could try putting a treat on the floor just inside the door-so he has to reach in to get it Then gradually move it nearer the stairs.

Or continue with the nudges and give him a treat each time he reaches the stairs.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Scoutsmom

He could have briefly slipped or lost footing for a second on the tile and was spooked by the sensation, especially if his pads were overly dry or if his feet were wet from rain when it happened. It may not have even been noticeable by the walker, but he felt the sensation. Go with the treat suggestion above to help restore his confidence.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yeah, I agree something spooked him and he's put off by going through the doorway. It's created a bad association for him, and now you have to make it a good association. It could be anything....

maybe the door was closed and he walked into it (like a glass/screen door)

he may have slipped on the floor

something in the area fell while he was walking by

perhaps someone else was in the entryway that was incredibly scary

maybe a loud noise outside occurred when he walked out one time and he associated it with the door.

You'd be surprised things they pick up on that really mean nothing to us in daily life.

Start using some treats to lure him in and get him happy to walk through the door again. Give him praise when he does on his own accord like it is going out of style! You want him walking through the door to be the best experience EVER!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

When we got out houndie we got told if he had issues with our tile floor to use the highest value treat we could find. Then relax, moving one paw at a time, paw down, give tiny bit of treat, with lots of praise (over the top praise in a high girlie voice). DO that a few times, then show the treat , and ask him to walk in with you. Most likely they'll be focused on the treat. If they move ONE paw into the surface, treat/praise. repeat every time a foot moves.

I'm a bit more straightforward with dogs. I'd just pick him up and lift him over the threshold and tell him how awesome he is.

I used to live in an elevator building. George was afraid to go in. Trust me. In a building with 110 apartments, you CANNOT just stand there coaxing your dog with treats. It was one and done--lift dog, put dog dog down. Problem solved.

After a day of being lifted, he realized it was inevitable he was going in, and started walking in.

Same issue with shiny floors.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm a bit more straightforward with dogs. I'd just pick him up and lift him over the threshold and tell him how awesome he is.

I used to live in an elevator building. George was afraid to go in. Trust me. In a building with 110 apartments, you CANNOT just stand there coaxing your dog with treats. It was one and done--lift dog, put dog dog down. Problem solved.

After a day of being lifted, he realized it was inevitable he was going in, and started walking in.

Same issue with shiny floors.

I for one am not going to repeatedly be picking up a 75 lb dog for a few outs in one day and many people aren't capable or willing to do that either. I also highly doubt a sitter would want to do try....

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Guest hqpcapps

Last night we were outside the door for about 30 minutes it felt like haha. I was trying to lure him in with treats. This morning he walked halfway in the door by himself so I think its helping! I had to nudge him in the rest of the way. Then he still ran really quickly up the stairs. But it's progress!

I wish I could just pick him up and move him, but he does weigh 75 lbs. Too heavy for me. Fortunately, my apartment building is only 4 apartments so standing in the doorway hasn't been a problem yet.

Hoping for more progress tonight!

I think you totally missed my point Xdrawl. Or your one of those who simply disagrees with anything I say...

Once you do it a couple of times, the dog realizes that NOT going in himself is not an option, and they just do it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think you totally missed my point Xdrawl. Or your one of those who simply disagrees with anything I say...

Once you do it a couple of times, the dog realizes that NOT going in himself is not an option, and they just do it.

I didn't miss your point, however your proposed solution might not be a realistic fix for everyone. Henry might not even catch on like George did, and then the OP has a broken back and a dog that won't budge as a result.

No need to start a fight.....

Last night we were outside the door for about 30 minutes it felt like haha. I was trying to lure him in with treats. This morning he walked halfway in the door by himself so I think its helping! I had to nudge him in the rest of the way. Then he still ran really quickly up the stairs. But it's progress!

I wish I could just pick him up and move him, but he does weigh 75 lbs. Too heavy for me. Fortunately, my apartment building is only 4 apartments so standing in the doorway hasn't been a problem yet.

Hoping for more progress tonight!

Sounds like progress!! You can also upgrade the value of your treats, let's say cut up hot dog, and hopefully things will continue progressing!

Proudly owned by:

• 1 month later...
Guest nnamdismom

When we first got Nnamdi, he was fine on ANY surface. He would run throughout my parents hardwood house and come up to anyone no matter where they were sitting to say hello. Then, he slipped. Ever since the fall, he wasnt hurt AT ALL, he will not leave the rug. Nothing can get him off the rug at my moms house. Even at my house, he now is SO hesitant to just walk around HIS own house. His bed in the kitchen is on hardwood, and if sometimes when I call him to come outside from the back door, it takes him a full minute to work up the courage to walk on the floor. His own floor. Telling you this so that you know it is normal, and happens to everyone. He may have slipped on the tile with the sitter. Over time, since it is his only way out, he will build back up the courage to trust the tile again. It could take a while, but he will eventually forget and be okay again. Just go very slow and try not to pull on his leash while going through as that could increase his uncertainty. Also, it helps when Nnamdi' nails are short. I found that it makes him more unsure when he can hear his nails clicking.

We had this with annie. Who knows what spooked her,but she was spooked and wouldn't come in the door. I propped the door open,turned the lights on in the kitchen, the room she enters. DH had annie on lead. I called her,he came RUNNING in up the stairs and into the kitchen where she received a marshmallow. We dd this a good dozen times,until joe (dh) thought he was going to pass out. Repeated the runs a couple of days and she's fine. No cutchie coos,just a run into the house. I'll lend you joe if you can't find someone to help :)

• 1 month later...
Guest hqpcapps

Hqpcapps, if you happen to see this thread: How is Henry doing now after a couple of months working with him?

Hello! I just realized there were more responses. Unfortunately, Henry has still been refusing to walk through the door by himself. Typically, we stop right before the entry way, I open the door, then put my arm under his front two legs and nudge his front legs over the door threshold. Then I move his front and back paws in small steps hoping he'll continue to walk through the door. If that doesn't work, I scoop his back legs/bottom up and sit him in the entry way. Sometimes he goes in more on his on, but usually not. Its been raining lately and he slipped around on the tile floor. I think that really spooked him, so this week has been terrible trying to get him to come inside.

I think i'll just start putting a towel down for when we walk back in the door. Or maybe i'll buy a large door mat. Walking out of the door doesn't bother him at all though.

He's also been just stopping on our walks and not wanting to walk towards the apartment. He doesn't want to come inside. I don't know if its because he doesn't walk to go through the door or because he just wants to stay out longer. He's very stubborn though haha.

Guest GoingGrey

My guess is that he's pausing on the way back toward your apartment because his original negative experience is now compounded by being nudged/lifted/walked inside.

You'll probably never know what originally spooked him. A slip on the floor, a car backfire, even your walker arguing on the phone just then. But the fast running upstairs to get away from the entry sounds typical of a negative association there.

Jammer does that when somebody has left a box or package on our stairs. At first she wouldn't come in. Over time, the coaxing, praise and treats (counter-conditioning) worked and now she just hesitates a second. But if there's something large and unfamiliar near the door or even inside the hallway to the apt. when I open the door, she will hesitate. She even does it if I'm holding a large bag while holding open the door, ha. Luckily, it's just for a second, then she'll bolt past and up the stairs.

Is Henry food-motivated? I'd say start over and do some heavy counter-conditioning with those super high-value treats. Sometimes nudging them past the fear works, other times it backfires. Try going out for a short "walk" then coming right back to the front of your bldg and give major treats & praise when you arrive there. Instead of going inside, repeat the mini-walk and return with treats/praise in the target spot. Do this a few times until you find less hesitation, then repeat while moving your target treat/praise spot a little closer to the door each time. You may have to go slowly by just adding inches or a foot closer at a time. When he stops or hesitates, you'll have to go back to the earlier spot until he's comfortable again, and then slowly continue with much repetition.

I'd also go for that large rug or at least a towel on that floor. And maybe a hot dog or hamburger trail for him to follow thru the entry...?!

Nice to see your reply. :) Yes, I agree with adding a runner rug type floor mat ASAP. Weather safe outdoor rug material manufactured with non-slip rubber backing is available to cut from rolls at home improvement stores. Cut to length depending on the length of slippery floor space. Thereafter, you may not need counter-conditioning through that space. It's nice when counter-conditioning works for slippery floors, but many, many Greyhounds are uneasy walking on smooth floors. It's common for them to long remember if they've had a slip/fall before, especially scary when their paws are wet after a walk. Their fear reaction is real with good reason. Slippery floors can be dangerous enough to break long greyhound legs, or worse. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. :)