Dog Food Question

I searched on the forum but didn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering approximately how many bags of dog food you guys go through each month per dog and at what bag size? My brain is having trouble processing the math that requires me to convert 4 cups of kibble into bag weight. Sigh. So if I were to go with one month's amount of kibble - say Iam's Pro-active (green bag), how many bags would I need?

Thanks for putting up with my N00b questions, guys, LOL! Want to cover all my bases before completely and utterly deciding on a Greyhound ;) (Plus my sister's deciding on what kind of dog she wants. Killing two birds with one stone here by doing research for the both of us, heehee)

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

Sweep weighs about 62 lbs and maintains that on 2 cups of Fromm's Adult Classic a day (plus treats, of course!), so we only buy one 15 lb bag per month. I believe that's how much she had with Iams green bag too.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I should add that Sweep tends to gain weight easily so she might be on the lower end of what people around here feed. It'll take some trial and error to figure it out based on the specific dog's activity level, weight, and metabolism. :) Hopefully you'll get some more replies to get a better average.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

For my 2 males on Fromm adult classic, it is 3 1/2 and 3 cups per day (80 and 68 pounds) and a 15 kg bag last us about....3 weeks or so.

Oh sure - throw kg into the equation with Americans.... :rotfl:tomato

Seriously though - Rocket gets a total of 3 1/2 cups per day. He is a big boy at 87 lbs. I usually say that one, 28 lb bag averages out to 3 weeks. It may be 2 1/2, it might be 3 weeks and a day or two. It's somewhere in there because I haven't tracked it to an exact number of days. I order his food from Amazon, Wag, or Chewy depending on who has the best price, but lately that's been Amazon since we don't have a minimum order for free shipping using Amazon Prime.

Right now I have 2 bags on the shelf and the open bag in the kibble container. So looking at the shelf, I tell myself that I have 6 weeks of food on hand. I keep at least one bag on the shelf at all times just in case we would run into production issues or shipping issues when ordering, so that we never truly run out of food.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have two dogs and use a 50 lb bag in a little less than a month. I buy the IAM's in the green bag, large breed, at BJ's for $43.99. Sometimes they have a $5 off coupon. I also use a tablespoon of BJ's organic chicken in cans. One dog weighs 63 lbs, the other 83.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh sure - throw kg into the equation with Americans.... :rotfl:tomato

Seriously though - Rocket gets a total of 3 1/2 cups per day. He is a big boy at 87 lbs. I usually say that one, 28 lb bag averages out to 3 weeks. It may be 2 1/2, it might be 3 weeks and a day or two. It's somewhere in there because I haven't tracked it to an exact number of days. I order his food from Amazon, Wag, or Chewy depending on who has the best price, but lately that's been Amazon since we don't have a minimum order for free shipping using Amazon Prime.

Right now I have 2 bags on the shelf and the open bag in the kibble container. So looking at the shelf, I tell myself that I have 6 weeks of food on hand. I keep at least one bag on the shelf at all times just in case we would run into production issues or shipping issues when ordering, so that we never truly run out of food.

:rofl I didn't thought this trough right? :P to be fair YOU Americans sold that food to us!

(33 lbs bag) :rofl

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Danny gets about 2 cups of Purina One Lamb and Rice, once a day. The girls get about 1 to 1 1/2 cup of the same stuff once a day. They all get a few treats.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

:dunno Seems like when I bought Iams the label, directions and ingredients were bilingual in French and English.

Late to the party, but if it's not in French, it can't be sold here (Quebec). Maybe why :)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

There are a lot of factors here including your (potential) dog's size, energy level, calories needed to maintain weight and how many calories per cup of food. My first greyhound was about 78-80lbs, very athletic (did *lots* of running) and he ate Evo, which was about 500 Kcals per cup. He got two cups a day and a 26lb bag lasted a month. My current two guys are on Acana which isn't quite as rich, and they're a bit smaller. Heyokha gets about 1.25 c twice a day and Crow gets an even cup twice a day. Each of their foods is about 400 calories per cup. They are both between 70-76 lbs and a 25lb bag lasts them about a month as well (they're on different diets, so I go through two bags a month for two dogs). Crow actually gains weight on that amount because though he's younger, he's a slug. Heyokha has a high metabolism. Iams is probably in the range of 300-350 calories a cup, so you'll feed slightly more. My guess is that a 30 pound bag would probably last a month for an average sized male, maybe longer for a smaller female.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Rook eats TOTW Pacific Stream (can't have any poultry or he gets super itchy and this one works with no runny stools) and goes through a 30lb bag in about a month- maybe a tad more. I usually buy once a month but often I have a few days to a week or so left in the bag when I purchase. He also goes through more depending on the season and increased activity, so it can vary. He's an average sized boy. He also does get things like tripe sticks, canned tripe/lamb/rabbit/bison so sometimes that will decrease the kibble amount to compensate.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

get the amount of food you use, then weigh it. divide that weight by how much is in the bag.

This is not exactly true. Some foods are much denser inn calories than others. Kcl (sp) per cup aren't widely advertised and you almost have to call and ask the manufacturer. I found this out when mine started porking up on Purina Beyond. The more calorie dense a food the less you'll use.

When i had my first yorkie in 1995 I fed him Mighty Dog. The vet "tsked tsked" and told me he'd gained a pound and if you weighed 8 pounds a pound was a LOT. He then held up a can and said "see this can? It has XXX calories". Held held up another and said "see this can? It has XXX calories....and...." I finished his sentence with "and Mighty Dog is chocolate fudge in a can for dogs".

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I searched on the forum but didn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering approximately how many bags of dog food you guys go through each month per dog and at what bag size? My brain is having trouble processing the math that requires me to convert 4 cups of kibble into bag weight. Sigh. So if I were to go with one month's amount of kibble - say Iam's Pro-active (green bag), how many bags would I need?

Thanks for putting up with my N00b questions, guys, LOL! Want to cover all my bases before completely and utterly deciding on a Greyhound ;) (Plus my sister's deciding on what kind of dog she wants. Killing two birds with one stone here by doing research for the both of us, heehee)

Know this is late, but I started a 12.5 lb (6 kilos or so?) of Purina ONE Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato about 3 weeks ago, I'll probably finish it tomorrow. He gets about a cup and a half, plus half a can of wet 2x a day. He's about 80lbs.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg