Tranexamic Acid & Yunnan Baiyao

So Violet is having her dental on Monday and we are trying to prevent a repeat of what happened last time, which was her urinating blood clots when they tried to get her up for the first time as she was coming out of anesthesia. I am still not sure whether this was not rhabdo at all (in which case they think stress likely caused irritation of her bladder/urinary tract), rhabdo only, or a combination, but of course we want to try to prevent a repeat.

So the vet and I agreed that we should do something like Amicar and he was on board with Tranexamic Acid since Amicar is still so costly and hard to find. He is asking me to give 3/4 of a 650 mg tablet every 12 hours starting Friday or Saturday (to make sure she doesn't have a negative reaction) and keep her on it through the dental. I read over the old thread on this topic and saw most people were having the medication compounded, but also were talking about capsules. I found a GoodRx coupon that says it's for tablets and that's what the vet said we'd get so presuming that's true, splitting them should be fine, right? That would mean she'd be getting a dose of ~488 mg, which seems about right (she's 60#ish).

They also asked me to start her on Yunnan Baiyao. This seems like a good idea to me, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with it's use. Waiting for my regular vet to call back just to run it by her because she uses chinese herbs, but is anyone familiar with it and has anyone used it in this type of situation? I just want to be careful not to overkill it here because she's not bleeding yet, and hopefully won't start. They recommended 1 pill twice daily starting tomorrow. I only see one product available through Amazon - it's in a green box - so I assume there's just one standard dose?

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We used the TA in a liquid form. It was late getting to the compounding pharmacy so we had to start with the Amicar pills.

The shelf life, refrigerated, for TA in liquid form is only one week. I thought it would be better since Percy's mouth was such a mess. In looking back, if I'd gotten it in capsule form I could have popped one down his throat and been able to save any leftover doses for the future.

I have no idea about the chinese herb though. :dunno I loaned my book to a friend will see if I can get my hands on it this week.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks. I confirmed I will be getting tablets from Walgreen's. Its filled so I can pick it up tomorrow.

The yunnan baiyao is another story. My vet is out, Amazon can't get it to me before Monday, the other vet clinics I've called either don't carry it or in one case, would not give it to me without seeing Violet. You have to be kidding me. I get your policy on meds, but this is an OTC supplement! :riphair

Really hoping Whole Foods has it. Have to call back because their supplement guy was on his break. :rolleyes:

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks. I ended up being able to get it from Amazon. It was delivered today.

We gave our angel Charlie Yunnan Baiyao during his fight with Osteo.it was part of his herbal regimen we had him on.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Perhaps consider asking your vet Violet's expected start time for surgery. If Violet is not scheduled to be first patient, ask your vet the latest time Violet can arrive that would still allow adequate surgical prep time.

The longer hounds have to wait in a hospital kennel before surgery the greater potential to become stressed, increasing body temperature.

Post recovery, I pick up hounds immediately upon their medical clearance for discharge to go home. (Three of our hounds can't wait around for end of day pick up just because it's more convenient for a human.)

This is such a timely post as I cannot find Amicar here in MA. I will pass on this info to my vet. Akons dental is scheduled for Wed. May have to postpone it until this is clarified.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Perhaps consider asking your vet Violet's expected start time for surgery. If Violet is not scheduled to be first patient, ask your vet the latest time Violet can arrive that would still allow adequate surgical prep time.

The longer hounds have to wait in a hospital kennel before surgery the greater potential to become stressed, increasing body temperature.

Post recovery, I pick up hounds immediately upon their medical clearance for discharge to go home. (Three of our hounds can't wait around for end of day pick up just because it's more convenient for a human.)

Thanks. She's already scheduled to start the minute we get there (8:30 am) and they'll be doing pre-meds in the exam room with me with her and then will start anesthesia the minute they can. So no kennel time.

We're making other changes as well to try to eliminate any anxiety. I've increased the dose of her anti-anxiety med and will be giving Gabapentin tonight and tomorrow morning as well (which interestingly is used to treat anxiety).

The problem is we have no idea what did this. Stress before the procedure, stress when coming out of it, just stress on her body from the procedure. So we just do what we can and hope for the best I guess.

Edited by NeylasMom

FWIW, my cardiac girl just had an extraction. They started her early and let her come home early (as soon as she was mobile) to minimize stress. Possibly partly THEIR stress :lol as she got a little vocal when she woke up.... She had no bleeding. Zero, zilch, nada, none. I expected at least some bloody drool. Nope.

(Her heart rhythms were also perfect through the procedure. If you're within shooting distance of northern IL and need a specialty, highly recommended.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad yours went so smoothly, that is great! I hope things go as well for us. They started her early last time as well and the blood clots appeared when they first tried to get her up and moving. :(

We're in MD and are seeing the veterinary dentist at the Life Center in Leesburg, VA an hour away. They are amazing and have consulted both a veterinary anesthesiologist and the internal medicine doc. And the emergency staff who treated her for her rhabdo and this last incident are on site so we really are in the best of hands. I'll still worry.

Understand the worry. Hope all goes beautifully for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So my vet called in a prescription for Amicar to IVG compounding pharmacy and I will pick it up later today. 20 pills for $31.00 which seems weird since CVS told me it would be $20.00 PER pill. I will believe it when I pick it up. BTW they will also ship.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Just an FYI I did pick up 20 500 mgs tabs or Amicar for $32.00 from the IVG Compounding Pharmacy in Woburn MA. They made it for me in a matter of hours and will ship.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Just an FYI I did pick up 20 500 mgs tabs or Amicar for $32.00 from the IVG Compounding Pharmacy in Woburn MA. They made it for me in a matter of hours and will ship.

Wow. Good info to have.

Great info about the Amicar access .. thank you!

Just wanted to let you know that the Oily Vet (http://www.animaleo.info/) recommends Cistus oil to reduce bleeding risks and Copaiba as an anti-inflammatory oil. I use both oils before & after any procedures for my pups, along with Thieves oil (Young Living) on their feet, which I use prior to any vet visit to protect from picking up infection from other patients.