Recently Adopted Hound Bladder, Anxiety, Or Medical?

Guest czythought

Guest czythought

Hi!

About two weeks ago, I adopted a 5 y/o girl. AFAIK, she has been off the track for a while -- she was a brood mom and then she was at the last foster for ~5 wks.

I was told by the foster mom she is totally fine to go 9 hrs (working day, essentially) without needing to go out. The first couple days I did come home over lunch to let her out. She is not crated - I muzzle her when I am away and she seems to just lie on the couch while I am gone. Occasionally couch cushions will be out of place as if she anxiously moved them around.

The problem is, she pees while I am gone at work all day. I am wondering if I ruined her routine by coming home the first few days or if it just anxiety and completely normal. I can't help but worry about my dog... She is so timid and needy and only ever whines when the cat comes near her (she is scared of the cat) so I have no idea how to read her anxiety levels.

Her schedule is roughly:

7:30-8: Wake up - water is given, 20 min walk/potty. P&P.

8-8:30: Eats breakfast. Limited amount of water given (her foster told me she will drink until there is no more and its true)

9:15: I leave for work

6:15: Get home for work, immediately out for P&P/shortish walk. Water given.

8ish: Dinner - limited water given

9ish: Sometimes we go out again. Honestly when I am home she seems to not want to go out at all.

Any advice would be great. Thank you!

When I used to leave my dogs, when we went to work, I would put them out or walk them a second time before going to work. You are feeding her and then leaving her a long time without a chance to eliminate.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest czythought

When I used to leave my dogs, when we went to work, I would put them out or walk them a second time before going to work. You are feeding her and then leaving her a long time without a chance to eliminate.

Sorry I forgot to add that I take her out right before I leave.

Was she crated in her foster home?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You need to take her to the vet. And you should NEVER withhold water from a dog before the dog has been checked by the vet. There are a number of medical conditions that can be significantly worsened by lack of access to water.

Any newly adopted dog should be taken to the vet anyway.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck